T Nation

Got Genetic Testing Done!

So I had heard about 23andme (www.23andme.com) from a friend and decided to try it out. I happened to be looking on World DNA Day or something so I got a full package of ancestry & genetic medical profiling for 99 bucks. Not a bad deal. I got my results back and I’m thoroughly impressed with how in depth they go.

For ancestry they track both maternal & paternal lines, and compare your similarity to various populations. I’m mostly southern & northern European which I expected. I figured 3rd would be north african, but there was a surprise; there was actually a decent amount of middle-eastern and near eastern (like afghani, etc.). They can tell you what populations you most closely resemble within the groups; and for me it was Italian and a little Austrian which was a huge surprise. I thought it would be Italian & French. There’s a relative finder too, they show you people you might be related to so you can contact them. No one really close for me, a bunch of 3rd cousins.

The medical portion of it was astounding as well. They go pretty in depth. They measure you for disease risks, then compare it to genetic contributions to those afflictions. They then compare your risk to the average person. So for venous thromboembolism (blood clot that moves to the lungs) the average person is at a genetic risk of around 12.5%; I on the other hand am at 72% between the age of 0-79. But they also point out that it’s about 55% attributable to genetics, so there are many mitigating factors that they then go into. They also cover what to do to reduce your odds. You can even select your age range, so between 25-29 the average population has a 0.2 risk and I’m at 2.1%.

They also test you for carrier status for certain conditions (cystic fibrosis, etc.) I’m not a carrier for anything major; potentially an extremely minor form of Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency and potentially a very minor form of Hemochromatosis, but most likely neither. Drug responses are also covered; i.e. caffeine metabolism speed, heroin addiction potential (apparently I have an extraordinarily high risk of becoming addicted if I tried it). Finally they test for traits, (likely eye-color, HIV resistance, birth weight). I found out I have all the genetic variants they have in their database for people that live to around 100. So that was nice.

Anyway, if anyone’s curious I highly recommend the site; it’s informative, fun, occasionally terrifying, and can help you plan for your future.

OMG I DID THAT TOO and I got the EXACT same results!!! We must be twins!!!

(I’m just teasing you btw :wink: )

23andme.com is an awesome company, actually co-founded by the wife of Google go-creator Sergey Brin.

A pretty amazing story behind Brin’s involvement with the company exists as well. In the companies early stages, Brin volunteered to have his profile done, as a way to help his wife and the company get up and running. The tests came back and it turns out that he is at extreme risk to develop Parkinson’s in his later years, something that he had to watch his mother suffer through.

Brin accepted the information in an extremely proactive way, and is one of the top donors to Parkinson’s research in the world, as well as a lead developer in using some of Google’s data mining technology and search function software to assist in Parkinson’s research.

I think 23andme.com is a supreme opportunity to learn about your body and it’s potential obstacles, allowing you to prepare and be proactive in your pursuit of life.

Yeah, but did you find out what your genetic limits for BBing are?
That’s all that matters.

Choose to have it all.
23andMe Complete, $499

ROFL, dude you LUCKED OUT on that $99 deal. These people are fuckin crazy…that’s more than half of my rent.

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:
Choose to have it all.
23andMe Complete, $499

ROFL, dude you LUCKED OUT on that $99 deal. These people are fuckin crazy…that’s more than half of my rent.[/quote]

Yea, when the hell is that holiday? I’d jump for sure if it was only $99.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:
Choose to have it all.
23andMe Complete, $499

ROFL, dude you LUCKED OUT on that $99 deal. These people are fuckin crazy…that’s more than half of my rent.[/quote]

Yea, when the hell is that holiday? I’d jump for sure if it was only $99.[/quote]

If it ever drops that low again I’m all over that deal. Hopefully someone will post it when it does.

Love your AVI soulja and I completely agree with it.

[quote]debraD wrote:
(I’m just teasing you btw :wink: )[/quote]

lol well we do both have nice legs haha

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:
Choose to have it all.
23andMe Complete, $499

Yea, when the hell is that holiday? I’d jump for sure if it was only $99.[/quote]

It was back on Earth Day or something…

and I agree, it’s a great company. I haven’t unlocked my parkinson’s thing yet. For more extreme markers they lock them and you have to manually open them. No one in my family’s ever had it though, so I’m not too worried.

I did find some relevant to BB’ing…first my genetics indicate that my muscle structure is most likely built more for sprinting/explosive movements as opposed to endurance, and 2nd people with my genetic profile may have as much as 3% less circulating testosterone :frowning:

for $500 they better collect my DNA via blowjob.

[quote]JonEightPackGuy wrote:
Love your AVI soulja and I completely agree with it.

[/quote]

Keep up the good fight.

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:
for $500 they better collect my DNA via blowjob.[/quote]

Hahahahaha! That’ll be in the top 20 lines of 2010. Someone make a note of it.

this is 99 bucks from National Geographic

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/participate.html

same thing basically as the ancestry thing on 23andme for 399