T Nation

Got Accused of Using Steroids

dont even need to squat half that to get accused of steroids. i dont, and i get accused regularly, all it requires is a little jealousy and a little more ignorance

[quote]boatguy wrote:
He said TITS…

cuban- A 500 squat is a high number, but not totally unreal. At 6’ 210ish, I maxed out at 495 to parallel (no accessories) at the end of the Smolov intro cycle (whatever the first four weeks is called). Granted that was fall of 09, and I’m currently not squatting till my shoulder is good (unrelated injury). My point is this, those kind of numbers are not outside the realm of possibility for a consistently training lifter, with good form.[/quote]

if squatting 500lbs is such a huge deal, what about benching 500+ lbs. raw, no shirt.

[quote]roguevampire wrote:

if squatting 500lbs is such a huge deal, [/quote]

a 500lbs squat is a bog boy lift, no doubt. Anyone not giving someone repsect for that lift is a jackass. It is a big deal for the most part. Is it earth shattering? No. But it is a great fucking milestone to hit.

I have much respect for anyone taking that much to depth that is over 6’. That is a long way to travel with 5 bills on your back.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

a 500lbs squat is a bog boy lift, no doubt. Anyone not giving someone repsect for that lift is a jackass. It is a big deal for the most part. Is it earth shattering? No. But it is a great fucking milestone to hit.

I have much respect for anyone taking that much to depth that is over 6’. That is a long way to travel with 5 bills on your back.[/quote]

^This.

I would love to see an actual statistic as to what percentage of people who lift are legitimately squatting this kind of weight below parallel, especially for guys over 6’.

[quote]batman730 wrote:

I have much respect for anyone taking that much to depth that is over 6’. That is a long way to travel with 5 bills on your back.[/quote]

^This.

I would love to see an actual statistic as to what percentage of people who lift are legitimately squatting this kind of weight below parallel, especially for guys over 6’. [/quote]

Well, from what I’ve seen, just about everyone with no pics available can do it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:

^This.

I would love to see an actual statistic as to what percentage of people who lift are legitimately squatting this kind of weight below parallel, especially for guys over 6’. [/quote]

Well, from what I’ve seen, just about everyone with no pics available can do it.[/quote]

Didn’t say I can do it. I’m not there yet.

I’ve never seen a 6.1" guy at 205LB’s do a 400LB parallel squat.

Dead lift maybe as often tall guys are built to dead lift, like I am but I have a bad back :frowning:

[quote]Cuban32 wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:
I’ve seen your photos. I think they were making fun of you.

fyi - no pics on profile - are you trolling?[/quote]

no, and i dont have anything great physically to brag about, at 6’1’’ and 205 pounds is nothing too great. It just baffles me that people think that a 500 deadlift and squat means steroids…[/quote]

If you are squating 500lbs at 6’1’’ 205 i think someone would have accused you a long time ago like maybe when you were repping out 400, show me a video or i am calling bullshit on a 500lb squat on you. Post of video of a 500lb ATG SQUAT, and we will give you props, i will. If you are a guy that does a lot of olympic lifting or participates in a lot of power lifting than let us know, no need to blow up numbers, i got accused of using when doing a lot less than a 500lb squat.[/quote]

What I don’t understand is why so many people give a shit?

In person I’ve never seen anyone squat 500 lbs, or even 405 for that matter.

Man, you guys are gettin’ all mad up in here. I’ll bet it’s the roid rage.

at 285 I hit 475 for a double. I’ fairly confident I could hit a 500 on a good day.

I used to train in Iron Island Gym in Alameda a while back.

Lee Moran used to train there in his twilight years.

dude was built like a barrel, with short arms.

Watching him bench was incredible, I can’t remember what that bar was loaded to, but his total ROM couldn’t’ve been more than 6"!

and his squats were something to watch, the whole gym would stop and watch.

I think he was opening up his squats in the 900lbs range.

[quote]byukid wrote:
at 285 I hit 475 for a double. I’ fairly confident I could hit a 500 on a good day.[/quote]

285!=205 (yeah, programming format)

It’s a lot more believable at 285 than 205, though It’s not altogether unbelieveable at 205 (just a lot less common than most people act like).

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:

[quote]byukid wrote:
at 285 I hit 475 for a double. I’ fairly confident I could hit a 500 on a good day.[/quote]

285!=205 (yeah, programming format)

It’s a lot more believable at 285 than 205, though It’s not altogether unbelieveable at 205 (just a lot less common than most people act like).[/quote]

Yeah, I know. I also haven’t been training that long (about 9 months since I really got back into it), so I could see some people after a couple years of progress hitting it.

[quote]batman730 wrote:

^This.

Well, from what I’ve seen, just about everyone with no pics available can do it.[/quote]

Lol, that is quite an observation (and true from what I can tell).

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:

^This.

Lol, that is quite an observation (and true from what I can tell).
[/quote]

Anytime I see someone go out of their way to say they squat “ATG” I instantly assume a 3-4" ROM.

(Outside of the obvi dudes who crush fucking weights, obvi)

I know at least 5 guys who legitimately squat 500.

I don’t even think Hungry4more who is 5’7 at ~200 and an elite level PLer squats much over 500 raw, I don’t believe that someone making an OMG I GOT ACCUSED OF ROIDZ TODAY! who is 6’1 205 is squatting anywhere near that.

Does OP Incline 495x15 reps too?!?! SORRY! Done trollin.

[quote]batman730 wrote:

^This.

hahahahaha

Funny,someone suggest I DO steroids.