Got a DUI

Friend’s wedding was 6/29. I had about 4-5 drinks over the course of the night. It could have been 6. After the wedding, I was still slightly too drunk to drive, so I sat in my car and practiced my rapping skills for about 90 minutes while I dried out. The plan was to wait two hours and then assess my condition, but I got bored and started driving around the the parking lot to kill time. The parking lot was wide open and completely empty so there was no danger of hitting anybody. Admittedly I was still feeling slightly buzzed at this point.

So I was doing donuts in the parking lot when suddenly a cop pulls into the lot and starts flashing his lights. GOD DAMN IT. He asked me why I was driving around in circles, and I told him I couldn’t answer any questions. When he asked me for my license and registration, I just fumbled around with the contents of my glove compartment, not even knowing what I was looking for. He told me to step out of the car and administered a field sobriety test, which I passed successfully. Then he pulled out the brethylizer. The legal limit in my state is 0.080, and what did I blow? A fucking 0.081. No lie. So the ociffer put me in cuffs, and down to the station we went.

At the station he adminstered a second brethylizer, which is the “official” one that they use for criminal proceedings, and this time I blew 0.071, under the legal limit. He still charged with DUI and made me spend the night in a holding cell before releasing me in the morning.

Now I have never had any kind or problem with alcohol, and only drink for special occasions which usually amounts to no more than 2-3 times in a year and probably fewer times in my entire life than I can count on my hands. I would also never drive drunk in my right mind- it was sincerely just a matter of impaired judgement. Part of it is that I drink so seldom that every time is like my first time and I am still prone to do dumb things like that.

Am I fucked? I’ve heard that DUIs can ruin people’s lives. I haven’t had a chance to talk with my lawyer yet so I don’t know what I’m in for. This blows.

So the official one was below the legal limit? Can they charge you with anything since the official one was ok? The way that it seems it is playing out is that you were charged just to keep you in jail overnight and that’ll be the end of it. Number 1 thing would be to talk to a very good lawyer. They’ll know the likelihood of you going to court and any little steps the officer may of fucked up on.

On a more paternal note…What the fuck were you thinking? You admit you hardly ever drink so 2 hours sitting in your car is going to make you ok? This was a friend’s wedding you couldn’t get a ride/taxi or just chill for several hours? I’m glad you were at least smart enough to just be fooling around in a parking lot but geez man I sure hope this doesn’t fuck you up.

Depending on the state, prosecution, your lawyer, and your record, you could be in a world of hurt or a slight slap on the wrist.

Was the parking lot private property? If so was it next to a main road or off the beaten path? If it was you could (key word being “could”) potentially have a good arguement for your defense.

Once again, donuts prove to be a man’s downfall.

Depends on your state. In Washington often the first DUI gets plead down to a negligent driving first degree, as long as it’s not a case of “I’m so drunk I crossed the yellow line and killed a nun, three babies, mentioned several racial slurs and lied on my tax returns”

Also, merely being in the drivers seat with the keys in the ignition will can land you a DUI, since the wording for the DUI charge here is “driving or being in physical control of a vehicle”.

Bottom line, be polite and respectful (not a kiss ass) at all times, and consult a local attorney.Good luck

I think your post should begin with you admitting to being a complete and utter cock, I think it is important that you realise and admit just how stupid you are to:

1. try to “dry out” for 2 hours
  2. donuting in a car park whilst over the limit
  3. not co-operating with the police

Donuting isn’t even a word

They might drop it something equivalent to a “wet reckless” (what they call it out here in California) since you were technically under the limit.

One DUI conviction isn’t going to ruin your life, but it’s a pain in the ass. I received one at 20 due to zero tolerance laws, wasn’t even remotely drunk. However, I was doing jackass stuff like you: driving on the 405 freeway with the top down and a car full of girls I pulled off the Sunset Strip at 4AM.

Basically a bunch of fines, three months alcohol counseling, and a restricted license for a while. They also made me visit the Los Angeles County Morgue, which was actually pretty interesting and quite an experience (they never let the public inside).

Don’t sweat it too much man, just don’t drink and drive in the future and you’ll be fine.

You need to clean up your life. Stop smoking pot and stop drinking. You cannot handle yourself.

Just get a good lawyer. Obviously I can’t guarantee anything, but if it’s your first offense and you blew less than the legal limit on the official one a good lawyer will get that thrown out. Depends on your state too though, I live in CT and I’ve had a bunch of friends get DUI’s thrown out. Also you could probably just get drug and alcohol classes and they’ll suspend the DUI. Who cares if you go in debt to pay for the lawyer, it’s worth it not to have a DUI on your record.

The field sobriety tests has a margin of error, and since the official one is below I don’t think you can be charged with anything.

On a side note, way to be an idiot.

What a shithead.

You got what you deserve. Assholes who drive drunk kill people, and destroy families.

Hope you learned your lesson.

Get a good lawyer and fight it. There is a margin of error on those machines. The fact that you passed the field test and also blew a .071 after will help you. Your goal with your lawyer should be to get it thrown out completely. What you pay in lawyer fees will be nothing compared to insurance costs over the next 5 years. It isn’t the end of the world but if it stays on your record it will be there for 5 years. Good luck.

You should have practiced your rapping skills outside of the car for a few more hours. Seriously, you thought doing donuts in a vacant parking lot at night was a good way to kill time until you ‘sobered’ up. You might as have called the station and given them your description and location.

In Colorado they are pretty ruthless when it comes to DUI’s and even if it’s your first time you are going down for it unless some extraordinary circumstances exist to get you off. Expect to pay a lot of money and fines and pay higher insurance rates. They advertise it here as the $8,000 hangover.

D

Make sure your if you get a lawyer. To check the last time the officers alcohol tester was calibrated and the one at the station. That could explain the difference in readings from one place to another as well. I know lots of people in Canada then get off DUI’s from that alone. The lawyer says when was the last time this machine was calibrated in court? If its more then a set amount. Your charges get dropped. Also your lawyer can get the records from the police station on alcohol test machine track record and calibration.

Just say’n …not that I support DUI donuts in the parking lot. Smarten up!

Yes, please explain how “sobering up” lead to “donuts in parking lot”.

Dear OP,

I just got off the phone with the arresting officer. He was kind enough to forward the video prior to your arrest for all of T-Nation to see and judge.

Police claim that you were not doing donuts in the parking lot, but on the highway. At the time of the arrest when asked about your actions you responded with ‘Feeding donuts to the poor’.

What were you drinking? Gin’n’Juice?
How much does HP does you truck make and how long do the tires last?

Please don’t drink and drive, smoke and fly instead.

Ps. Your insurance agent called to advise of cancelled coverage.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
What a shithead.

You got what you deserve. Assholes who drive drunk kill people, and destroy families.

Hope you learned your lesson. [/quote]

Calm down, nobody ever killed anyone driving circles in an empty parking lot.

OP, this is probably going to cost you a good chunk of money either way, but you’d be better in the long run if you paid that money to a lawyer than paying it in fines and insurance premiums. Good luck, and use your head next time.

[quote]Melvin Smiley wrote:
SkyNett wrote:
What a shithead.

Hope you learned your lesson.

Calm down, nobody ever killed anyone driving circles in an empty parking lot.

OP, this is probably going to cost you a good chunk of money either way, but you’d be better in the long run if you paid that money to a lawyer than paying it in fines and insurance premiums. Good luck, and use your head next time.[/quote]

The OP has a history of doing idiotic things. He needs to fix his life before he fucks it (or someone else’s) up irrevocably.

Some awful tall horses in these parts.

Get a good lawyer. It’ll cost you well over a grand, but if you have no priors, you may get away with a slap on the wrist.

I hope you learned a lesson.