Gorging

I am fully aware of the counterproductivity of gorging while on a fat loss diet; however, I was wondering if anyone could provide a physiological explanation as to why gorging is off-limits all the time, in every case. I have seen this advice from more than a few bodybuilders (Dave Draper, Tom Venuto), and, as a guy who likes the occasional unrestrained feast (there are plenty of all-you-can-eat yaki-niku restaurants here…if you know what this is, you know how wonderful and tantalizing it is), I would be lying if I didn’t say that I want someone to tell me that this advice is wrong or unnecessarily extreme. I’m especially interested in hearing from folks who have attained very low body fat (who are not genetically inclined to do so), in the 4 to 5% range (which, I know, contradicts my first clause).

I don’t really think there is anything wrong with gorging while on a bulk diet. As long as it’s mostly clean food, obviously eating a dozen donuts while guzziling a 12 pack of Pepsi isn’t going to do much for you, but nothing wrong with haveing a steak, a burger, and a few hot dogs when you are trying to put on some mass. However, if I do fall off the wagon while cutting, I just do 15mins extra cardio and better luck next time.

Post workout gorging is the way to go, I think.

Wouldn’t Berardi’s 90% rule come into play here?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Wouldn’t Berardi’s 90% rule come into play here?[/quote]

But in “Damage Control” i believe he states that a gorge on a cutting diet is counter-productive. This is where i get confused when it comes to dieting. Some say abstain from cheating while other diets, T-Dawg 2.0 comes to mind, reccomend a “cheat meal” for psychological and physiological reasons. We need a comprehensive study on this damnit!

Do a heavy squat day, hit the all you can eat on the way home, then lie down on the couch and take a nap.

Drool.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Wouldn’t Berardi’s 90% rule come into play here?[/quote]

Most certainly!

I’m off to the Asahi Beer factory after work for all the meat and beer you can eat and drink for 3000 yen! I’m aiming for about 10 schooners and 500 grams of meat in 2 hours.

I’m supposed to start my summer diet on May 1st anyway. One last blow-out…

[quote]jakewnet44 wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Wouldn’t Berardi’s 90% rule come into play here?

But in “Damage Control” i believe he states that a gorge on a cutting diet is counter-productive. This is where i get confused when it comes to dieting. Some say abstain from cheating while other diets, T-Dawg 2.0 comes to mind, reccomend a “cheat meal” for psychological and physiological reasons. We need a comprehensive study on this damnit![/quote]

Maybe it’s just me, but life is way too short to obsess over 1 or 2 meals a month. I like the T-Dawg approach. If you only have 2 all-you-can-eat-buffets per month - one every two weeks - how bad are you ruining your diet?

If you are eating 180 meals per month, and you really screw up (total buffet destruction) twice - you are still at 99% dietary perfection.

If each meal is - say - around 400 calories (way low, I know) per meal - you are looking at 72000cals/month. the 90% rule means that you would have to consume 2 meals at 3600cals each to break the 90% rule nutritionally.

Having a cheat meal - MEAL - not a food orgy - once a week with my family on Friday nights just keeps me sane, and motivated.