Google's Easter Tribute

It is amazing Easter’s origin is not Christian

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Karado wrote:
Well, IDK If it’s any consolation, I learned Chavez was a devout Catholic [/quote]

He also hated illegal immigration (because they provided cheap labor), until he was bought-off by the very agri-business he claimed to be fighting. Here is his 1979 testimony in front of Congress on the issue of illegals:

"For so many years we have been involved in agricultural strikes; organizing almost 30 years as a worker, as an organizer, and as president of the union–and for all these almost 30 years it is apparent that when the farm workers strike and their strike is successful, the employers go to Mexico and have unlimited, unrestricted use of illegal alien strikebreakers to break the strike. And, for over 30 years, the Immigration and Naturalization Service has looked the other way and assisted in the strikebreaking.

I do not remember one single instance in 30 years where the Immigration service has removed strikebreakers. We have observed all these years the Immigration Service has a policy as it has been related to us, that they will not take sides in any agricultural labor dispute. They have not taken sides means permitting the growers to have unrestricted use of illegal aliens as strikebreakers, and if that isn’t taking sides, I don’t know what taking sides means."[/quote]

Taking sides had to do with the context of history. You are giving talking points of the right who would slander what Chavez did, but in reality he did what he did, and was against immigration because of what he saw during the Bracero program, which was horrible.

My grandfather told me that in town there were local or migrant laborers and eventually those that were part of the Bracero program as well. Gramps was a skilled and strong guy, he could maintain old tractors, drive them and I was told he was one of the guys who was strong enough to throw boxes of lemons while the trucks would do their rounds during the packing/trucking phase of the harvest. He told me when I was a little kid, and again when I was a teen to never, ever cross a picket line.

I didn’t really get it, eventually I asked my mother as well as my Uncle why he would have told me that, this was after he passed away. The story my mother tells is that he came home one day nearly in tears, and it was at the way the Bracero’s were being treated, even with what he and my great Uncle were giving away to help, they still lived in what was equivalent to a Mexican jail. So while he got to go home at the end of the day to my grandmother and uncles and mother, the Bracero’s got locked up in a shack, minimal food, minimal means and absolutely filthy, disgusting living conditions.

So, imagine that… Here you are working your tail off and having just enough, labor shortage, all of a sudden Bracero’s are cheaper than you (And basically in a labor camp), and then all of a sudden you are called a wetback, after you had been coaxed to come here in the first place because of all the work available.

My mother told me like this, it was one thing to be out in the field picking the crops with your fam, another thing altogether under the bracero program which was a lot more like a labor camp situation.

So, if this makes sense to you. Chavez understood that the Bracero program was inhumane, and the treatment of the people was the ultimate end he was worried about. You understand, whether it was bracero program itself, or some rancher who viewed Mexican’s as livestock, or some kind of beast of burden, the only direction we were moving was downwards economically while our employers were moving up. Top it off the attitude of the country was that you are just a wetback anyways. You know the crab analogy, well this is it too but on a larger scale, and with both governments encouraging it to a degree.

So, you see from the perspective of my grandfather he was in a helpless situation and witnessing the attitude of the nation as well as the legal attitude of the nation was that people of brown skin were just wetbacks. At the time of the Bracero program the wetback program was enabled as well. So there was a shift from migrant laborers to imported laborers who had virtually no freedoms and were called by number rather than name. Remind you of anything?

All Chavez wanted was for people in the fields to have a decent life and to be able to live with dignity, even if they were at the bottom, regardless of race or whatever however he was aware of the racial politics and helped Filipino laborers out as well. Chavez didn’t seek wealth, I’m sure on many levels he was torn about his position on immigration, but at the end of the day he really was looking out for anyone who might work as a field laborer, some of the least of your brothers to you Catholics.

BTW, still picking your crops for next to nothing. Mostly Mexican in origin, getting exploited while others get rich.

[quote]Karado wrote:
Severiano, don’t encourage the stereotype of your kind that are emotionally thin skinned, can’t see the forest for the
trees, and that flock to Tree barks and water stains that resemble religious icons. I thought you were smarter than that on this one dude…So, let me spell this out for you, I was being facetious because Google decided not to honor Yeshua and they decided put up Chavez instead.

It was their choice and I understand that, but it was EASTER nevertheless, and if I hurt your “feelings”
or “sensitivities” I certainly didn’t mean to and it was not my intent, but also a sure sign you were never in the military because that would have add another layer or two to your dermis.
Man up a bit will ya? Your biggest enemy is the man in the mirror.
[/quote]

So you are calling yourself a troll?

If I weren’t a Marine it would bug me that you don’t acknowledge my service, but I get that your a troll so it doesn’t bug me :slight_smile: I really don’t have anything to prove anymore about my military service, I went through some of the hardest training the Corps offers (doesn’t offer this level of school anymore). If I have thin skin now, it’s because I’ve worked at it. There was a time when I really didn’t give a shit about anything except the guys around me, if it matters I’m happy to have emotions again. I know what it’s like to not care and be callus.