Google Phone: Made in America

Interesting…

Now do a couple hundreds of thousands to a couple million x4 and see what number you get.

The end point of a business is profit. Profit. Profit. Profit.

They could care less who benefits from it besides themselves.

[quote]magick wrote:
Now do a couple hundreds of thousands to a couple million x4 and see what number you get.

They could care less who benefits from it besides themselves.[/quote]

So why make it in Texas if it costs an extra $4?

[quote]AliveAgain36 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

They could care less who benefits from it besides themselves.[/quote]

So why make it in Texas if it costs an extra $4?[/quote]

Transportation costs?

I dunno.

Gut feeling- Publicity.

Americans have such a hard-on for domestically produced goods right now that if Google says “Hey! We create stuff here in the U.S.A!!!@#!@#@!#!@#@!” then people will be like “OMG! Google is a great company for producing jobs in the U.S.A!!!@#@!@!$!@#! WE LOVE GOOGLE!!@#@!”

And then Google gets more business and makes more money than it may lose.

I mean, read the bloody comments in that article.

If nothing else Google just earned major brownie points from the general public.

[quote]magick wrote:

Gut feeling- Publicity.

Americans have such a hard-on for domestically produced goods right now that if Google says “Hey! We create stuff here in the U.S.A!!!@#!@#@!#!@#@!” then people will be like “OMG! Google is a great company for producing jobs in the U.S.A!!!@#@!@!$!@#! WE LOVE GOOGLE!!@#@!”

If nothing else Google just earned major brownie points from the general public.[/quote]

Really? I’ve never meet anyone under 40 that cares where their stuff is made.

Huh.

Haven’t people been getting riled up about how jobs and production are being outsourced by every major company in the past couple of years?

I’ve met many older folks who told me that’s why the U.S. is doing so poorly now. Hell, it’s almost exclusively older folks who say this. Younger folks tend to be more for globalization and don’t seem to mind it. Or they don’t think on it. I don’t know.

But probably a matter of different people we interact with?

[quote]magick wrote:
Huh.

Haven’t people been getting riled up about how jobs and production are being outsourced by every major company in the past couple of years?

I’ve met many older folks who told me that’s why the U.S. is doing so poorly now. Hell, it’s almost exclusively older folks who say this. Younger folks tend to be more for globalization and don’t seem to mind it. Or they don’t think on it. I don’t know.

But probably a matter of different people we interact with?[/quote]

[quote]magick wrote:
I’ve met many older folks who told me that’s why the U.S. is doing so poorly now. [/quote]

Ya that’s why I said under 40 :slight_smile:

Yup. I completely misread your statement.

=(

[quote]magick wrote:
Yup. I completely misread your statement.

=([/quote]

Ya, haha, it happens to the best of us. no worries.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

Gut feeling- Publicity.

If nothing else Google just earned major brownie points from the general public.[/quote]

Really? I’ve never meet anyone under 40 that cares where their stuff is made. [/quote]
I’m under 40. If I had an option I would buy something made in the US for a little extra cash. A lot of times there isn’t an option.

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

Gut feeling- Publicity.

Really? I’ve never meet anyone under 40 that cares where their stuff is made. [/quote]
I’m under 40. If I had an option I would buy something made in the US for a little extra cash. A lot of times there isn’t an option.[/quote]

Okay, I’ve heard of 1 person under 40 that cares…

Honestly though, do you check before you make a purchase or are just like, “Sweet it’s made in America, alright,” After the fact.

[quote]magick wrote:
Huh.

They don’t understand that manufacturing is what created the middle class. Everyone wants to be an accountant or executive without realizing if we don’t make stuff to sell we won’t stay on top for long. Look at what has driven China’s recent prosperity. By the time the realization comes that shuffling around virtual money doesn’t actually produce anything sets in it will be to late.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:
Huh.

They don’t understand that manufacturing is what created the middle class. Everyone wants to be an accountant or executive without realizing if we don’t make stuff to sell we won’t stay on top for long. Look at what has driven China’s recent prosperity. By the time the realization comes that shuffling around virtual money doesn’t actually produce anything sets in it will be to late.[/quote]

This ^

We are borrowing money from China.
We are loaning money to kids to go to school.
Kids are going to school to get jobs that don’t exist.
Kids are not able to pay back the money we loaned them.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:
Huh.

They don’t understand that manufacturing is what created the middle class. Everyone wants to be an accountant or executive without realizing if we don’t make stuff to sell we won’t stay on top for long. Look at what has driven China’s recent prosperity. By the time the realization comes that shuffling around virtual money doesn’t actually produce anything sets in it will be to late.[/quote]

This ^

Kids are not able to pay back the money we loaned them.[/quote]

This is a bit of a stretch. If you borrow 50K to get a degree in 18th century art, ya you’re a moron. 50K to be an accountant, no problem.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:
Huh.

This ^

This is a bit of a stretch. If you borrow 50K to get a degree in 18th century art, ya you’re a moron. 50K to be an accountant, no problem. [/quote]

For now. What do accountants produce? If the red tape ever disappears and we don’t have these complex monetary laws accountants have nothing of value. I know it is a stretch but this points exactly to what I am saying.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:
Huh.

This ^

This is a bit of a stretch. If you borrow 50K to get a degree in 18th century art, ya you’re a moron. 50K to be an accountant, no problem. [/quote]

For now. What do accountants produce? If the red tape ever disappears and we don’t have these complex monetary laws accountants have nothing of value. I know it is a stretch but this points exactly to what I am saying. [/quote]

It’s very unlikely that the business world will be less complex anytime soon.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:
Huh.

This ^

I don’t disagree with you at all. For a good chunk of the population, this is true. However, gulp, there are some people that shouldn’t be going to college that are conditioned that they have to, and given the money to do so. It seems a lot harder to find training for skilled labor jobs and manufacturing jobs are becoming more and more rare. What are these people supposed to do usmc?

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:
Huh.

This ^

For now. What do accountants produce? If the red tape ever disappears and we don’t have these complex monetary laws accountants have nothing of value. I know it is a stretch but this points exactly to what I am saying. [/quote]

It’s very unlikely that the business world will be less complex anytime soon. [/quote]

So you believe our economy can keep chugging along without producing anything tangible?

Or that we can keep shipping jobs overseas and then when nobody here can buy their products that businesses will survive? That is exactly what happened to domestic automakers. Ship the jobs to mexico and then when the people you laid off here can’t buy your cars then what? Mexicans aren’t buying them.

Granted this is an old article… but I think people say it’s no big deal that there is little manufacturing in the US. They focus on stuff like cars and TVs.

What happens when you outsource production of all your bullets, or in this case, medicines?