Google Glass

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:
Everyone has a tablet now and they do everything your laptop does only worse![/quote]

I do not own a tablet or a laptop. So Everyone does not have one. [/quote]

Alright Mr Pedantic, LOTS of people have them. Do you go around after Prof X picking him up every time he says “most people on here”?

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:
I highly doubt anyone’s life is interesting enough that it needs to be seen from their point of view. Granted there are exceptions, but i seriously have no use for this, or anyone who does. [/quote]

it could be seen as a status symbol much like the iPhone use to be[/quote]

I think you’re right it will be.

[quote]tmay11 wrote:
First computers occupied a room.

Then they occupied a desk, at work, or in the lab.

Then they occupied a desk, at work, in the lab, and at home.

Then they occupied our laps.

Then they occupied our hands.

This is just one step closer to the long continued integration of the computer and us. Another improvement and minimization of the interface.

People saying “very few people’s lives are interesting enough to be recorded” are really really missing the point. With added improvement in voice recognition and natural language processing and inquiries, the interface will become nearly invisible and seamless. Imagine having the whole of Wikipedia not at your finger tips, but at your voice. Or even preemptively giving you answers to your queries. The technology isn’t there yet, but it’s getting close, and this is another big step towards that.

[/quote]

And not only this, but being able to store memories. Not even necessarily some brain-download thing, but if a device is worn on your face so it can store location, conversations, things seen, etc., a person’s recall becomes less important as if they forget, they can simply retrieve it from storage. We’re a ways away from that, but a device like this that, as you say integrates better, opens the door on a ton of things down this path. For better or worse.

Eventually (soon) the next step will be projecting things like maps and directions and such things into you field of view.
There is already a prototype for ski goggles with directions and images embedded in the goggle’s lenses in the skier’s view so they can navigate down slops and to different parts of the mountain. Think how this would lead to glasses that you wear when your driving that give you turn by turn directions…Garmin on steroids.

[quote]iDrDan wrote:
Eventually (soon) the next step will be projecting things like maps and directions and such things into you field of view.
There is already a prototype for ski goggles with directions and images embedded in the goggle’s lenses in the skier’s view so they can navigate down slops and to different parts of the mountain. Think how this would lead to glasses that you wear when your driving that give you turn by turn directions…Garmin on steroids.[/quote]

Actually, that is already what Google Goggles are. Testers describe it as looking at a 25 inch HD television set from about 3 feet away. Also, those ski goggles you described have been on sale since late last year, I believe. Crazy how fast things are coming out nowadays, every time you turn around there’s something new.

These features aren’t all available yet. The video is more so an attempt to show what they are working towards.

Another good video by The Verge.

I’m serious we’re going to see a huge rise in upper-middle class white people under 30 falling down after these catch on.

I knew this looked familiar.

it makes sense, I always thought small projectors + a movement based UI would catch on, but this probably makes more sense. It’s just going to happen as hardware advances. It’s far more powerful, and is obviously getting more possible as our computer hardware starts to outpace what we can imagine

no need to have a desktop, laptop, tablet, phone, etc. when you can have a small device with a fast processor and several gigs of RAM.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:
I highly doubt anyone’s life is interesting enough that it needs to be seen from their point of view. Granted there are exceptions, but i seriously have no use for this, or anyone who does. [/quote]

I never understood people viewing a phone as a status symbol.

The ski goggle with maps and what not sound freaking amazing, anyone have a link for those? That actually sounds fairly functional since you wear goggles to ski. I dont wear glasses in life, so i still have no interest in the glasses.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

The ski goggle with maps and what not sound freaking amazing, anyone have a link for those? That actually sounds fairly functional since you wear goggles to ski. I dont wear glasses in life, so i still have no interest in the glasses. [/quote]

There’s a couple of different models out, here’s one:
http://www.oakley.com/airwave

Not a big skier so not sure which models are better than others. If you are interested, doing a google search for ski goggles HUD should give you the info you need.

[quote]GeneticSynergy9 wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

The ski goggle with maps and what not sound freaking amazing, anyone have a link for those? That actually sounds fairly functional since you wear goggles to ski. I dont wear glasses in life, so i still have no interest in the glasses. [/quote]

There’s a couple of different models out, here’s one:
http://www.oakley.com/airwave

Not a big skier so not sure which models are better than others. If you are interested, doing a google search for ski goggles HUD should give you the info you need.[/quote]

Thanks, Oakley makes pretty good stuff, although the hippsters will consider it too mainstream.

Those are $600, which is a lot of money, however for someone who travels alot and has to deal with fog it might be a good investment