Goofy University Nutrition Professors

My professor took points off of my diet assessment project because I eat too much protein. I take in about 200-250g complete protein at a bodyweight of 175. What do you think of that?

A person can eat too much protein?

I think he’s a douchebag and you should show him some real research.

[quote]poper wrote:
My professor took points off of my diet assessment project because I eat too much protein. I take in about 200-250g complete protein at a bodyweight of 175. What do you think of that?[/quote]

Does he know what your diet was for, or does he believe that everyone should have the same diet no matter what the goals or activity level?

She requested that I reflected my diet toward what literature suggests. I did, but she disagrees with what the upper end of protein consumption should be for strength/power athletes. She said that literature says the top end is 1.6 to 1.7 g protein per kilogram of bodyweight max. Of course i get my literature from this website’s contributers such as John Berardi. We all know how much he loves protein. I’ve got a meeting with her this tuesday to talk it over. We’ll see how it goes.

What University?

[quote]poper wrote:
She requested that I reflected my diet toward what literature suggests. I did, but she disagrees with what the upper end of protein consumption should be for strength/power athletes. She said that literature says the top end is 1.6 to 1.7 g protein per kilogram of bodyweight max. Of course i get my literature from this website’s contributers such as John Berardi. We all know how much he loves protein. I’ve got a meeting with her this tuesday to talk it over. We’ll see how it goes.[/quote]

In reality she is correct. The vast majority of scientific literature(published in a peer-reviewed journal) suggests that 1.6-1.7g protein/kg body weight is all that is necessary for weight trained individuals. The literature you are referring to (which is found on this website), is not peer-reviewed journal quality literature. So in essence she is referring to something different than what you are referring to.

With that said, I would ask your professor what is wrong with consuming additional protein beyond the normal recommendations? This is an important question for your professor to answer as it may be the basis of your argument for additional protein consumption.

Your professor is an asshole. Play along and get the best grade you can. It is too late in the semester to do much else.

What university is this? What did that broad say during your meeting with her?

You may also want to check out some of the references that the T-Nation authors post after their articles.

I’m sure that their recommendations come from some high quality research, and an article that they referenced might look better to your teacher than a T-Nation website article.

Look man, get used to it. Make your life easier and don’t even raise a fuss over it…I know, I know, you’re passionate about what you do and you know you’re right, but they will provide ass-loads of research to back themselves up with so don’t even fight it…I’m a Dietetics major and am forced to remember tons of info that I personally find non-optimal. But you gotta play by their rules to get there degree.

Had a similar situation happen to me in a bio class I took one year. This was before T-Nation though. I ate too much protein (210g for a 200lbs college boy), I drank too much water (1 gal a day), and ate too little carbohydrates. Wasn’t really following a diet, even though I was testing out the whole protein thing. I didn’t lose points, so I was lucky for that. The fact that I did the nutrition log and activity surrounding it was a good grade for participation. My favorite question to the prof was “Why?” and “How so?”

But learning sometimes easy way and sometimes hard way, arguing or discussing it with your prof or RD is like arguing with a internet-guru-warrior who doesn’t get “dirty”. They still use science to counter your point which they like to call anecdotal or lacking any peer review. I wonder sometimes how there can be an actual peer review if your peers don’t accept change in their perceptions of nutrition?

That is a load of crap.Thats YOUR PERSONAL CHOICE.He’s can’t force HIS opinion down YOUR throat.Don’t be a pussy man.Fight back! For us!

[quote]The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
That is a load of crap.Thats YOUR PERSONAL CHOICE.He’s can’t force HIS opinion down YOUR throat.Don’t be a pussy man.Fight back! For us![/quote]

Yes he can actually, being that the professor decides the grades. But from sounds of it they are being reasonable and giving the OP a chance to discuss the issue.

I go to Rutgers University. I really didn’t get many points off at all for the excess protein but found it a bit funny that she would take points off for it.

I’m sure she has mounds of literature to back herself up, and literature does actually say that you need 1.6-1.7 for strength/power athletes, but I explained that I was way over recommendations and tried to justify myself through some of my favorite sports nutritionists and strength coaches.

Thats the reason Im a little mad about why she took off points. Ultimately, the assignment wasn’t to eat a perfect diet, but analyze what you eat regularly. I’m sure she wouldn’t mark off points if someone else ate an excess amount of gummi bears.

The meeting is this tuesday, I’m not trying to argue with the professor, but just to explain that I didn’t state that literature says I need that much protein. We’ll see.

[quote]poper wrote:

Thats the reason Im a little mad about why she took off points. Ultimately, the assignment wasn’t to eat a perfect diet, but analyze what you eat regularly. I’m sure she wouldn’t mark off points if someone else ate an excess amount of gummi bears.

[/quote]

This is the point you should focus on with a heavy emphasis on how easy it would have been for you too simply lie.

If she feels she has to punish integrity and honesty, it should be entirely on her shoulders…

Calm, well prepared, and if you can, smiling…

Hmm… I went to the University of Alberta and my Exercise Physiology textbook stated that high-level sprinters and olympic lifters had optimal performance gains at 2.0g/kg bodyweight, which roughly equates to about 1 gram per pound of bodyweight. :slight_smile:

[quote]Christomopher wrote:
The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
That is a load of crap.Thats YOUR PERSONAL CHOICE.He’s can’t force HIS opinion down YOUR throat.Don’t be a pussy man.Fight back! For us!

Yes he can actually, being that the professor decides the grades. But from sounds of it they are being reasonable and giving the OP a chance to discuss the issue.[/quote]

No,a professor grades tests based on facts,not THEIR personal opinions.It’s like saying a teacher thinks 5 and 5 = 6 when it doesn’t.No matter what,since she’s the teacher,she’ll grade the test based on her opinion,even though it’s a fact that 5 and 5= 10,not six.So if I put 10,although it’s right,she’ll give me a bad grade just because it was her opinion.

Dude, where did you go to college?

[quote]The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
Christomopher wrote:
The_Grim_Reaper wrote:

Yes he can actually, being that the professor decides the grades. But from sounds of it they are being reasonable and giving the OP a chance to discuss the issue.

No,a professor grades tests based on facts,not THEIR personal opinions.It’s like saying a teacher thinks 5 and 5 = 6 when it doesn’t.No matter what,since she’s the teacher,she’ll grade the test based on her opinion,even though it’s a fact that 5 and 5= 10,not six.So if I put 10,although it’s right,she’ll give me a bad grade just because it was her opinion.[/quote]

I have never been in a situation like that, so I don’t really know what it’s like. However, as someone who has taught at a University, I guess you are supposed to be trained in critical thinking? Then your arguments for a higher protein intake than what the litteratur suggests will be very important. If I was in the professors situation and you defended the high protein intake with “this coach said I need lots of protein”, I would not be as happy as if you had a long discussion about the pros and cons of a high protein intake and then if you said that based on the available information you have decided to go for a higher protein intake. Start by reading and assimilating “the protein debate” Berardi vs. Phillips. Thats what their whole “argument” is about.

[quote]Thats the reason Im a little mad about why she took off points. Ultimately, the assignment wasn’t to eat a perfect diet, but analyze what you eat regularly. I’m sure she wouldn’t mark off points if someone else ate an excess amount of gummi bears.

The meeting is this tuesday, I’m not trying to argue with the professor, but just to explain that I didn’t state that literature says I need that much protein. We’ll see. [/quote]

I’ve been there. This was a cleverly disguised exercise in agreeing with her preconceptions. Present a main stream journal article or two. Apologize for leaving them out of your paper. Accept her wisdom. Save your grade and get on with your life.

I once asked an economics professor how something he presented was applied in the real world. His answer was that it did not apply to the real world and did not have to, but it was 30% of the final exam.

Same shit–different university.