T Nation

Goodmornings

When is too much weight in a goodmorning bad for you? I read somewhere on elitefts that the guys don’t use them as often for the reason of too much weight being used for safety.

I’d say the same thing to this as to any other “how do I know if I’m using too much weight” question:

If your form is suffering, you’re using too much weight.

If you have access to a decent power rack and some chains, you can do suspended good mornings. The bar/weights are hanging from the top of the power rack from chains, about waist height.

This way, you can get under the bar, get it up on your shoulders by doing sort of a half squat, then start from there doing your good mornings. There’s a much-diminished safety issue since the chains will catch the weight if you have any trouble.

You might also be able to this using the rails on a power rack, but it’d be a bit more work to use.

dave/guys,
What is the verdict, are good mornings still a max effort movement or a accesory movement? I don’t see a whole lot of GM’S being used in the training logs. Shawn

Shawn,
They are used as both and should be. You have to remember that most of us have very strong lower backs and have done GM’S for many years. As of now, most of us can do quite a bit of weight and now it is “more risk, less reward” with GM’s. For a novice, I think they should still be used EXTENSIVELY. I think all of the powerlifters on this board can do a GM with over 500lbs to give you a guideline.

that was taken from elitefts and what i was referring to i also posted the same question on their site too but havent received feedback

Can you do a good morning with over 500 pounds?
if you can, perhaps it’s time to cut back a bit, if you can’t, then what the hell are you talking about?

I have an okay strong low back, and I might be able to get 3 with 225. It’s a long way from there to resting 5 or 6 hundred pounds on your neck as you bend over.

The more you can handle in great form, the better or you.

P.S. Bruce Lee didn’t hurt his back from this exercise!!! He hurt his back during intercourse. Honest truth!

Remember! Don’t believe everything u read. William Hurst printed all kinds of lies & everyone believed them. He was a real jerk. I’ve been to the Hearst castle, very impressive. But he’s still an a-hole.

[quote]BRUCELEEWANNABE wrote:
P.S. Bruce Lee didn’t hurt his back from this exercise!!! He hurt his back during intercourse. Honest truth!

How do you know this?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
BRUCELEEWANNABE wrote:

How do you know this?[/quote]

Bruce’s wife Lina Lee Caudwell’s last ex husband wrote a book about 7yrs. ago about all the inside stuff about Bruce. She told him that she would sue if he did put the book out, he told her the real truth should be known. Wonderful book by the way.