Goodmorning Instead of Deadlift?

Am I right in thinking that a good morning is essentially a Romanian deadlift with the weight held on your back instead of in your hands?

The increased lever arm means you can’t use as much weight which is good if you have limited weight to use and/or your back can’t handle much COMPRESSIVE stress? (Shear stress is going to be a lot in both exercises).

If not competing in powerlifting, could you build a strong and big posterior chain by relying on the good morning instead of deadlifts?

[quote]alternate wrote:
Am I right in thinking that a good morning is essentially a Romanian deadlift with the weight held on your back instead of in your hands?

The increased lever arm means you can’t use as much weight which is good if you have limited weight to use and/or your back can’t handle much COMPRESSIVE stress? (Shear stress is going to be a lot in both exercises).

If not competing in powerlifting, could you build a strong and big posterior chain by relying on the good morning instead of deadlifts?[/quote]

Yea, pretty much.

There will be more compressive stress in a good morning, then in a deadlift. In a deadlift, the weight is in your hands, not pushing down on your back, like it does in a good morning.

Yes, I don’t see why not.

thanks

But if you’re holding the weight in your hands, your hands are attached via your arms to your shoulders, which are at the top of your back.

Therefore your back is still surely being compressed just as much

yep.

yep, i actually prefer them to R deads if I want to hit my glutes etc, because not gripping the bar helps me to focus more on them

Me personally see goodmornings as an exercise were the risk of injury is to big and would suggest that you stick to normal DLS or SLDL with some weighted hyperextensions instead.
But hey, that’s just my take on it;p

So, for example, does a 120lbs good morning place more compressive stress on your spine than a 200lbs romanian deadlift?

And how do back extensions compare to those exercises - in some ways can’t you think of them as a ‘machine romanian deadlift’?

Does the back extension have the potential to develop thick glutes/hamstrings at all if your back genetically can’t handle compression well?

[quote]Rawsteel wrote:
Me personally see goodmornings as an exercise were the risk of injury is to big[/quote]

how do you figure?

[quote]Rawsteel wrote:
Me personally see goodmornings as an exercise were the risk of injury is to big and would suggest that you stick to normal DLS or SLDL with some weighted hyperextensions instead.
But hey, that’s just my take on it;p[/quote]

I have had more back pains from weighted hypers then good mornings, I think gm’s allow you to set your base better.

GM’s are the number 1 exercise for building the squat and dead IMO as they basically simulate a squat gone wrong. if you go heavy, make sure you stay tight or else you be fucked.

besides most people could get more out of 135lbs GM’s than they would with 300+.

i always switch up between deads/SLDL/GM’s on lower body days.

[quote]alternate wrote:
So, for example, does a 120lbs good morning place more compressive stress on your spine than a 200lbs romanian deadlift?

And how do back extensions compare to those exercises - in some ways can’t you think of them as a ‘machine romanian deadlift’?

Does the back extension have the potential to develop thick glutes/hamstrings at all if your back genetically can’t handle compression well?[/quote]

No.

Back extensions won’t really put much compression on your spine at all. If you are holding a weight across your chest, it will put SOME, but not much compression. Nothing to worry about.

Back extensions will work your glutes and hams to a degree, but most of the work is going to be in your lower back and erectors.

If you are having problems with compression, back raises, GHR, leg curls and extensions, lunges if you can handle them, goblet squats if you can handle them, split squats if you can handle them, leg presses, and belt squats are good ideas.

^leg presses can be horrible… just saying.

[quote]bignate wrote:
^leg presses can be horrible… just saying. [/quote]

I agree they can be, but mostly because people don’t always use them correctly

[quote]alternate wrote:

If not competing in powerlifting, could you build a strong and big posterior chain by relying on the good morning instead of deadlifts?[/quote]

Yes, yes you could. I am of the opinion that both deadlifts and gm’s should be done, heavy and hard, but I credit the gm with a lot of my mid back thickness, especially the erectors. I friggin love that exercise.

I’m not chiming in on back compression (which is always going to be at least a small issue in any weight bearing movement), but in my own experience, I’ve noticed that in terms of muscular development not a lot of top competitors still do heavy deads. Usually, they opt for hypers, or good mornings.

Still, different people will respond differently to certain exercises. I’ve been able to really focus stress on my lumbar area with weighted hypers, while my brother always attributes the same movement to his hamstring development.

Of course, I’m going into most exercises these days with a lot of consideration of old injuries, which is something that should always be considered, especially when dealing with your lower back.

I think the real question is what your ultimate goals are. When I injured my lower back in '07, my brother suggested that it was the result of training like a bodybuilder for so long, and not allowing all the muscles to work synergistically. So even if you do decide to focus on a more isolation type approach to posterior chain work, you’d probably still want to include some form of compound work to tie everything together.

S

[quote]alternate wrote:

Does the back extension have the potential to develop thick glutes/hamstrings at all if your back genetically can’t handle compression well?[/quote]

I believe it’s an individual thing. I can usually handle 50% of my RDL weight in the GM. I like both but the RDL’s give me much more carry over strength in my squat and really thicken up my back. I like to add in GM’s more for variety and also feel much safer on the RDL’s. In addition I’ve had degenerative/herniated discs in my lower back for close to 30yrs.