Goodmorning Form?

I incorporated the goodmorning into my training routine for the first time tonight but, I feel like I may not have the form down. What’s the proper way to execute this. Do I want to keep my legs straight throughout the whole motion? How low should I go, parallel to the ground?

Also I was struggling with barbell placement. When I had it up above my traps it felt comfortable at the beginning of the motion but, when I got towards the bottom I felt it was putting to much pressure on the vertebrae in my neck. When I put it lower it felt comfortable towards the bottom of the motion but as I elevated my torso I felt that it was putting serious strain on my shoulders joints because I was holding it so low and it was torquing my arms. Any advice? Sorry I don’t currently have a video to show how I was doing it.

i put the bar where it is foe squatting, low on traps and on top of rear delts.
keep your legs locked and STICK UR ARSE OUT!

It’s really just a matter of keeping your back arched and pushing your ass back. I remember having heard that it’s alright for you to bend your knees slightly, about as much as a Romanian deadlift, if it can increase your ROM.

[quote]Haavik wrote:
It’s really just a matter of keeping your back arched and pushing your ass back. I remember having heard that it’s alright for you to bend your knees slightly, about as much as a Romanian deadlift, if it can increase your ROM.[/quote]

x 2 on pushing your ass back as far as possible, and on slightly unlocking the knees to focus the stretch on hamstrings. Practice with a load you can handle comfortably for 8-10 reps, concentrating on feeling the stretch.

Nice, thanks for the advice guys. I think if I do work up from a lighter weight I’ll be better off

Just remember that you’re using goodmornings to help bulletproof your back and strengthen your hip extensors, not to move as much weight as you can.

[quote]Haavik wrote:
Just remember that you’re using goodmornings to help bulletproof your back and strengthen your hip extensors, not to move as much weight as you can.[/quote]

Got it. Good advice.

Explanation with video:
http://train.elitefts.com/exercise-index/barbell/good-morning/

Does anybody recommend Good mornings at the end of a back workout? I like to give rows my all and I want to use it as a good finisher to work my lower back on back day

my advice is simply to find a bar placement that does not bother you. or maybe your range of motion is too exagerated and you should add more weight till the lift becomes more serious to you

[quote]eyegainweightbig wrote:
Does anybody recommend Good mornings at the end of a back workout? I like to give rows my all and I want to use it as a good finisher to work my lower back on back day[/quote]

I prefer to work spinal erectors with glutes and hamstrings since it’s just about impossible to work one without working the other two, but if you want to work your lower back with the rest of it by all means do so. That being said, I wouldn’t recommend using a lower back movement as a finisher, since you’re likely already somewhat fatigued from the rest of your workout and going to be even moreso as you’re doing the exercise. I don’t know about you, but I like to play it (relatively) safe when I’m doing an exercise that heavily involves the spinal erectors.