T Nation

Goodfellow's Log - Stay On Target

I am planning to run this log for as long as possible, during this time i am going to post my daily food intake, and training sessions. Then in 3 months if i’ve gained some appreciable size I will put up some pictures.

If you guys can help pic out any flaws I might be making and help me stay on the right track that would be great.

It’s… 1am right now, tomorrow (Wednesday) will be the start of it all.

Here’s the training program I will be following, I will adjust it accordingly seeing how i feel:

1. Workout A
  2. rest
  3. Workout B
  4. Workout C
  5. rest

Workout A.
Seated calf machine - 1x12 (doggcrapp style, 1-5-15 tempo, the 15 being the stretch at the bottom of each rep)

Deadlift - 5x6-8 (try to get to max weight near last set)

Hanging leg raises - 3x15

Wide-grip pull up: 8x6-8

Leg press: 4x10

Workout B.
Standing calf machine - 1x12 ((doggcrapp style, 1-5-15 tempo, the 15 being the stretch at the bottom of each rep)

Squat - 20,20,10 (20 rep squats, i.e - using 10 rep max and getting 20 reps out of it, do that for 2 sets, and then 1 set of 10 with a lighter weight)

Weighted sit ups - 4x8

Chin up - 8x6-8

Leg press - 4x10

Workout C
Incline bench press: 4x8
weighted dips: 4x8
Dumbbell flyes, slight incline: 10,10,8,8
EZ bar preacher curl: 3x8
Dumbbell shoulder press: 3x8

Reasons for this workout program:
My legs are very skinny, I’ve tried everything except high frequency & high reps on quad dominant exercises. I think the 3 sets of squats may be too much, but i’ll see how it goes.

Anyways thats the start of my log, im going to bed now and i’ll start it up tomorrow.

So today’s workout was… fucking hard. One of the hardest ones I’ve had in a while, came close to puking, and got blood blisters on my forearms from where I was gripping so hard on the deadlifts…

anyway heres how it went:

Seated calf raise, doggcrapp style: 40kg (1 plate each side) 12 reps RP (8 then 4)

(felt like doing a bit more on calves so I also added in 2x6 on standing calf machine, #16 on the pin.

Deadlifts: 2 min rest between sets.
140kg x 8
140kg x 8
160kg x 6
160kg x 6 RP (4+2)
160kg x 6

Got pissed off after RP’ng, last set of 6 went quick and easy, thats what I love about deadlifts, the more rage the better!

Hanging leg raises: 3x15 with no extra weight added, I didn’t really have much rest after deadlifts before I did these.

Wide-grip pull ups:
8 >2min rest> 8 >1min rest> 6 >2min rest> 6 >1min rest> 6 RP (4+2)

Leg press:
1x10 w/ 4 plates each side, 2x10 with 5 plates each side.

Wide-grip pull ups

I enjoyed the workout, I knew the pull-ups wouldn’t go as well as I had hoped from the start, i’m trying to figure out a better way of setting them out so I can do about 70ish reps without taking for fucking ever.

If i use strict form (2 sec pause at the top, full stretch at the bottom) I can do 12 before I reach failure. Plus it was hard doing them after the deadlifts.

Edit - might mention this, i’m 18, 5’7" 138lbs, very low body fat ((Taking notes from rockscars recent post on how to break 140 lol)) - been training for about 2 years.

You yankin our chains? You’re saying at 138 you do 352 deadlift for reps? Call me cynical but I don’t believe that.

Didn’t see that you’ve been training for 3 years…350 for reps at that weight is still pretty amazing though.

[quote]Skrussian wrote:
Didn’t see that you’ve been training for 3 years…350 for reps at that weight is still pretty amazing though.[/quote]

I deadlift alot, I love doing them and this is the most weight i’ve lifted on them. I still don’t find it that impressive however, considering there’s a 14 yr old just on another thread doing 400+

He doesn’t weight 138 :stuck_out_tongue:

just a couple quick questions, first being in what order do you perform the exercises, and second what does your diet look like? If you go in the order posted on the thread, my question is why calf raises before squats/deads? secondly I’d maybe reccomend putting in an extra rest day, your putting a hell of a lot of weight on your legs every 3 days, it may not be enough.

Good luck

[quote]Mikel0428 wrote:
just a couple quick questions, first being in what order do you perform the exercises, and second what does your diet look like? If you go in the order posted on the thread, my question is why calf raises before squats/deads? secondly I’d maybe reccomend putting in an extra rest day, your putting a hell of a lot of weight on your legs every 3 days, it may not be enough.

Good luck[/quote]

my calves are really small and i never feel like doing them if i leave them at the end, so i like to do them first.

My diet is quite fucked right now (so is my sleep) i been going to sleep at like 2-3am and waking up at 1-2pm.

Today i ate…

4 slices toast, 4 eggs, 3 pancakes, bowl of fruit, tall glass of milk - breakfast

Rice & about 6oz chicken w/ veg

2 EAS body for life protein bars (18g protein each), 4 doughnuts

6 eggs

… Tomorrow im going to try and get to bed before 11 and wake up before 10 then i can hopefully set my meals out in a less sporadic manner.

As for the rest, I’m supposed to be doing the squats tomorrow and i feel fine, and deadlifts I pull mostly with my back so I don’t really feel it in my legs. So if I get my sleep/food in order this routine shouldn’t be that bad at all.

BTW since i’m 18 my skin breaks out easily in acne(not fucking helping with stress coming up with exams, crappy sleep patterns etc.) so I try to avoid drinking alot of milk (which tends to make me break out) otherwise i would drink it by the gallon.

If i recall correctly I gained quite a bit of mass in my thighs from doing westside from skinny bastards (all the sprinting etc. + strongman day), i’ll give my current routine a go for a week or two, see how i feel and then maybe switch to westside,

Here’s the program i have made up out of the westside options (note, on friday i made up complexes to try and simulate the strongman exercises, since i dont have access to tires, kegs etc.)

monday morning
warm up, mobility, light sprinting, pylometrics

monday afternoon
weighted dips - work up to max 3-5
incline db bench press - 4x8

wide-grip pull up - 4x8 <
straight arm lat pulldown - 4x8 <
hammer curls - 3x10
hanging leg raises - 3x15
side-bends 20kg plates - 3x w/e feels fuckin hard
decline crunches - 3x w/e feels fuckin hard

tuesday
Squat - 3 sets of 20 rep squats
BB lunges - 3x12
romanian deadlift - 4x8

db shrugs - 3x10 <
hammer str gripper - 3x10 <

wednesday
warm up, mobility, light plyometrics, heavy sprinting

thursday
push-ups - 3 x max reps

chin ups - 3x12 <
rear delt flyes - 3x12 <
db shoulder press - 4x8
standin db screw curl - 3x10 <
EZ-bar tricep extension - 3x10 <
weighted sit ups - 3x10 <
russian twist - 3x10 <

friday
close-grip hang snatch - 5x3 (keg toss)
clean & front squat - 3x5 (tire flip)
db squat & calf raise - 3 x max reps with heavy weight (farmers walk)
Deadlift & romanian deadlift & barbell row (underhand grip) - 2x15 (sled dragging)

deadlift - 4x10 <
chin up - 4x10 < (tug of war)

note: exercises paired with “> & <” are supersets.

Didn’t train today, i’m just going to do westside, fuck it