Goodbye Facebook

I’ve taken the liberty to free myself of social tyranny and the shackles that facebook has binded me with. I have done this to free myself from many things, most notably my ex originally. But it feels so much more liberating than that. I have learned that facebook has turned into a sort of internet e-penis match. Some may not get this way, but I feel like a lot of people judge facebook accounts, judge the pictures and people get inaccurate representations of who you are.

Some of you may say it’s valuable for keeping in touch. I realized… why do I really care about keeping in touch from some random dude I met at a party that I only talked to once in my life? The people who matter enough in your life will call you.

If you can’t live with yourself and entertain yourself how do you expect others to?

This is not temporary. This is permanent.

This is the most liberating and self respecting move I’ve ever made in my life.

Don’t be a bitch, people can call you if they care enough.

Try it, you won’t regret it.

1. Many of my friends on Facebook… and in real life, I don’t have their numbers. And I’m not about to ask a bunch of them because I will never call them (they don’t live near me, and talking on the phone is for women).

2. If all of my friends on FB had an a AIM screen name, I would delete my FB account in a second.

Hey, I’m glad you found Some Joy in life. Although you could do what I did and limit your account to family or your Real friends.

I have nephew doing a tour in Korea an we keep in touch with the whole family this way.

But I understand that it’s hard for some people to turn down request so they end up with 200 people who they don’t really know it happens.

Nobody will call you

I guess facebook can get like that if you’re relatively young.

I’m older so it’s just a neater, tidier way to e-mail friends and family. All I do on it is send messages, put up my photos, and maybe share a funny video or two.

I agree about people judging you based on your profile… I have always felt that was true.

I admire you for this, I know the social pressure are pretty great, especially for the > 25 crowd. If people hear you do not have a FB page you are sorta considered “out of the loop” or assumed to be technologically incompetent.

[quote]Nards wrote:

I’m older so it’s just a neater, tidier way to e-mail friends and family. All I do on it is send messages, put up my photos, and maybe share a funny video or two. [/quote]

Yup. Why add some random guy you met a party OP? There’s enough ppl in this overcrowded world without giving them electronic access…

I’ve got 60 “friends”, alot being the blood kind… I log into facebook atleast once a month to check if anyone’s died.

I moved countries, so it is a good way to have everyone in one place. I don’t have “friends” on there just for the sake of it. Beyond that, your marketing a business I see no real use for it.

I think I transitioned in between creating my FB account and now. I added all sorts of people but slowly started culling people I knew briefly or hardly ever. Having said that international individuals including some of the T Nation writers are on there (in the hope they link something informative, witty etc).

I created lists of people like family, work, friend of a friend (or friend^2), school and I limit the privacy on people I don’t really know that well. People from work can’t see all my photos for example but family gets access to everything.

I cut the feeds of negative people, people who spam crap and eventually if nothing of value comes from them over a month to 3 months then I delete them.

I find FB easier to use than remembering a person’s email address and useful for sending people birthday greetings etc.

I agree with four60 and Nards in that since I’m based overseas (or say they have relatives overseas) you can communicate with them easily. It’s brought me closer to my family in India, my school mates in Australia and just really insightful to see how people have changed.

Sometimes when friends of mine are having personal problems, they’ll post something and I’ll know to send them an SMS or something to cheer them up.

FB itself isn’t the problem, it’s the user’s control over it that’s the problem.

[quote]Nards wrote:

I’m older so it’s just a neater, tidier way to e-mail friends and family. All I do on it is send messages, put up my photos, and maybe share a funny video or two. [/quote]

Yep, sometimes my kids will message me that way. I’m a divorced dad btw. It’s a great way to keep in touch with cousins, friends, etc.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
How old are you?

If < 16 then this thread is possibly not the most retarded of the day.
If 16-18 then this thread is retarded.
If 18+ then shame on you.

BBB[/quote]

Yea really. “Most self respecting move” “Don’t be a bitch” Seriously? Piss off kid. If you’re an insecure little boy with hang-ups about social networking, that’s your business. I wouldn’t start running around calling everyone bitches…

Grown men without such bullshit hang-ups have no problem with something like Facebook - it’s a great way to stay in touch with old friends and family.

I don’t have a FB account.
I don’t need a FB account.

I have a phone and email address.
You know how to reach me.

THANK GOD ALMIGHTY

FREE AT LAST

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

You know how to reach me. [/quote]

Here’s what you do…join but make me your only friend!

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Here’s what you do…join but make me your only friend![/quote]

Only if you want to be a LOOSER!

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Here’s what you do…join but make me your only friend![/quote]

Now THAT would be cool.

Who adds that random DUDE they met at a party? I tend to add the random chicks from parties, or they add me. And then they stay in the facebook bullpen until they realize how exceedingly witty and awesome I am, at which point I end up hooking up with them. So much easier to arrange to go out and get a drink.

OP, you’re a homo.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Who adds that random DUDE they met at a party? I tend to add the random chicks from parties, or they add me. And then they stay in the facebook bullpen until they realize how exceedingly witty and awesome I am, at which point I end up hooking up with them. So much easier to arrange to go out and get a drink.

OP, you’re a homo. [/quote]

I’ve signed a few contracts with dudes I met at parties.

Networking, Irish Brah!!!