T Nation

Good Workout?

after doing the Beginner’s Blast-Off Program, i thought id try a simple 3-day total body program. This sounded a little more beginner-oriented than the Total Body Training program. I thought I’d do it first. How does it sound? Now I got it from askmen.com, which doesnt necessarily have the same Testosterone mentality but it seems to agree some stuff i read here.

also what about their following recommendation:
“After a few weeks, cut back to twice a week to allow more recovery time for strength and size gains to occur. Alternatively, to maintain your current muscle mass or the size you will have developed after a few weeks of this routine, just do one or two sets per exercise instead of the three suggested sets.”

and what about their recommendation for training for failure?

i basically want to get stronger using compound exercises, maybe lose some weight.

Day 1

Warm up for 2 to 5 minutes by jogging in place.

Then, perform 3 sets of 6 to 8 reps of the following exercises:

Barbell squats (legs, back)
Bench presses (chest, shoulders, triceps)
Pulldowns (back, biceps)
Shoulder presses (shoulders, triceps)

Choose a weight for each exercise that will force you to train to failure (reps 6, 7 and 8 should be intense). Training to failure will promote muscle growth.

Rest 1 minute between sets.

Finish the workout with an all-out sprint of 40 yards. Then, cool down with upper and lower body stretches.

Day 2

Start with a warmup.

Then, do 3 supersets of 10 reps of pushups and pullups. A superset means doing two consecutive exercises for opposing muscle groups with no rest between the exercises. Pushups build the triceps, chest, shoulders, and back, while pullups strengthen your forearms, biceps and upper back.

Rest 1 minute between each superset.

Next, do 3 sets of deadlifts. Perform 10 reps for the first set (reps 8, 9 and 10 should be difficult), then rest 1 minute. Increase the weight by 10 pounds and shoot for 6 to 8 reps on the next set.

For the third set, after another 10-pound increase, attempt 4 to 6 reps. Deadlifts are mass builders, as several muscle groups are used (forearms, lower and upper back, thighs, hips, and shoulders).

Finish the workout with 3 sets of dumbbell front or side lunges (8 reps per leg). Hold the dumbbells with an underhand grip at shoulder height, not at your sides. This makes the lunge harder and more intense, and also stimulates your biceps. Increase the dumbbell weight by 5 pounds each set, resting 1 minute between sets.

Cool down with upper and lower body stretches.

Day 3 (optional)

Depending on your recovery and energy level (you still might be sore from the previous two workouts during the week), you may want to omit this third workout. Otherwise, do a warmup followed by these exercises:

Leg presses (thighs, hips): 3 sets, 10 to 12 reps
Seated rows (back, biceps): 3 sets, 8 to 10 reps
Bar dips (chest, triceps): 3 sets, 8 to 10 reps
Upright rows (shoulders, biceps): 3 sets, 6 to 8 reps

1. Training to failure is generally a bad idea. There are a slew of articles here on why you should not go to failure.

2. Days 1 and 3 seem fine, but Day 2 is kind of blah. I would suggest weighted dips over pushups, and pullups over pulldowns.

3. Being a loyal T-peep, I would suggest TBT or ABBH. They permit a bit more variation, and are extremely effective (speaking from personal experience).

4. For cardio, do interval sprints, rather than a single one. And jogging in place always struck me as kind of silly. Jumping rope is rather effective at getting your whole body warmed up without draining energy too much.

Overall, as far as beginner programs go, this one is better than most. Compound lifts, not much reliance upon machines, and decent rep ranges.

i wish i could do weighted dips but i cant. im a pretty heavy guy. altho you wouldnt know it. people always assume im 60 kgs when im actually 85!! i have no idea how! i like doing the dip with the help of the machine. getting close to doing it without machine tho.

also was doing pullups with help of machine, but now decided to go back to pulldowns to work my way up slowly.

so my question is:

instead of pushups + pulldowns
can i do dips + pulldowns ?

yup. Just remember that pull-downs do not count if you are using your body mass to move the weight (ie – lift about 3" off the seat, then drop down really fast).

I would suggest wide-grip dips over narrow. They work the chest better.