T Nation

Good Weightlifting Shoes?

I was not sure where to post this so I picked here.

I am looking for a good pair of weightlifting shoes. I need good support and a wide toe box. These 3 shoes keep coming up. Do you recommend them or are there better ones?

Adidas Adipowers
Nike Romaleo 2
Pendlay Do-Win

Nike has a wider toe box than Adidas. Pendlay, I’m unsure about, because they were none available in my size when I bought mine. Most of my friends have the Romaleos.

I have quite wide feed (to the extent that I find it hard to get comfortable shoes) and I use the ‘Do Win - Gong Lu II’. They were a good price and I have been using them for well over a year without any noticeable wear and tear.

And the Romaleos seem to have a more pronounced pitch. For some it’s welcome since it allows you to stay more upright in a full squat while others don’t like it because it makes them shift forward in their pull. So it depends on what you are looking for.

Hello,

recently I started to put a 1.25kg plate under my heels when I squat to make it more quad dominant!

I thought about buying weightlifting shoes, however do they improve the squat “feeling” versus plates under my heels?

Or in other words, are they worth it, a good investment?

@Akidara: I think so.

An important thing to keep in mind when considering buying weightlifting shoes is that with proper care, they will last a decade, even more. It’s not like buying running shoes. And by proper care, I mean not doing things like wearing them outside in the rain etc. That’s all. They are expensive, but should last a long time.

[quote]Akidara wrote:
Hello,

recently I started to put a 1.25kg plate under my heels when I squat to make it more quad dominant!

I thought about buying weightlifting shoes, however do they improve the squat “feeling” versus plates under my heels?

Or in other words, are they worth it, a good investment?[/quote]

The first time I wore my adi-powers, it was like my feet were bolted to the ground. Huge stability advantage that you would not have with plates. A 1.25k is not enough lift unless you have so,e weird superfat ones that I have never seen.

[/quote]

The first time I wore my adi-powers, it was like my feet were bolted to the ground. Huge stability advantage that you would not have with plates. A 1.25k is not enough lift unless you have so,e weird superfat ones that I have never seen.
[/quote]

How is the sizing? Especially the toe box.

[quote]Jeff H wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

How is the sizing? Especially the toe box.

[/quote]

I think they fit very true. Quite a lot narrower in the toe box than the Pendlay/do wins I have. Pretty consistent with Adidas overall while I generally find a little narrow, but as I’m not going side to side in them, I prefer the snug fit.