T Nation

Good Upper Body Workout for Mass?

i was reading an article and i decided im a sad act and need to change my work out, i used all the advice on there and it sounds good to me but what do you think it will do for me,
do i need to add more to it,
or any thing else am i missing some important muscles out

monday: upper body

squats 1x 15-20
two arm dumbbell pullover 1x 20
standing barbell military press 1x 10-12
barbell curl 1x 10-12
barbell bench press 1x 10-12
barbell bent over row 1x 10-12
back extensions 3x 12-15
abdominal press 3x 12-15
shoulder shrugs 3x 12-15

tuesday: lower body
i will do another post about this on a later date atm i just want to have input on my upper body

wedensday: rest ahhhh
sleep 1x 8 hours
eat 8x 1
shower 2x 15 minutes
lol sorry about that i felt i needed to do it

thursday: upper body

squats 1x 15-20
two arm dumbbell pullover 1x 20
standing barbell military press 1x 10-12
barbell curl 1x 10-12
barbell bench press 1x 10-12
barbell bent over row 1x 10-12
back extensions 3x 12-15
abdominal press 3x 12-15
shoulder shrugs 3x 12-15

friday:lower body

saturday: rest

sunday: upper body
squats 2x 10-15
two arm dumbbell pullover 2x 10-15
standing barbell military press 2x 8-10
barbell curl 2x 8-10
barbell bench press 2x 8-10
barbell bent over row 2x 8-10
back extensions 3x 12-15
abdominal press 3x 12-15
shoulder shrugs 3x 12-15

then rather than do upper body on monday again i shift it all to the right so on the next monday i do lower body then tuesday rather than be lower body is rest then wedensday be the new upper body day, does that make sense

does any one think its a good work out ? if not rather than shout at me could you tell me where to improve or what i could add or remove or change im only 16 so i don't know my head from my arse at the moment i am very strong though just not as big as i want to be, dont get me wrong i am big also

I think you need to re read today's article, and read many many other articles if you are including squats on a "upper body day"

agreed with pvoosen... read all the beginner stickies... etc. No offense but you obviously can't make the greatest routine, so I'd suggest going with one on this site that appeals to you... something like starting strength.

Also its obvious that you don't care as much about lower body, even though you have squats on upper body day, but keep in mind to grow overall you should work out lower body.

You are doing squats on your upper body day? Or am I reading this wrong?

I would do a 5 day split doing one muscle group a day.
This is my routine.
Mon-Legs
Tuesday-chest
Wed-Back
Thur-Off/abs/cardio
Fri-Shoulders
Sat-off/abs/cardio
Sun-Arms

ha thanks i know squats are for your quads but i would just like to add them my body recovers pretty quick,
but now re-reading it all and thinking to my self if im doing all those squats the next day is gonna be tough then to do squats again the day after your right it doesn't make sense at all lmao well cheers for not letting me go to the gym and try that one out tonight haha wonder how long it would take me to realize i am destroying my legs,
two days most likely

Your program should be fine just save the squats for leg day, a split like Cron's above would be better

That's just the same workout posted 3x with slightly different set-rep numbers.

And unless I'm missing something, it sucks. So you do 9 sets for hypers (is that what you mean by back extensions), abs, and shrugs, WHICH IS MORE THAN YOU DO, ON AVERAGE, FOR ALL THE OTHER EXERCISES PUT TOGETHER.

pause

If you want a really good workout that involves you doing the same exercises 5x a week in 3-week slots, check for "Stripped Down Hypertrophy." It's very simple, and I'm getting great results on it right now.

~G

Your workout is very old school. Let's update it some.

Split it into 2 upper days like this (and I'm changing it some):

[i]Upper 1

Press 3x10-12
Chin 3xReps (max reps per set)
Dips 3xReps
BB Curl 2x10-12
Shrugs 3x12-15

Upper 2

Bench 3x10-12
BB Row 3x10-12
CG Bench 3x12-15
Preacher Curl 3x12-15
Lateral Raises 3x12-15[/i]

Put abs and back extensions on lower body days. Pullovers after squats aren't necessary, but if you want to be old school about it, feel free to keep them after your 20 rep squats.

You could also split your Lower into 2 workouts:

[i]Lower 1
Squat 1x20
Romanian Deadlift 2x12-15
Back extensions 2x12-15
Calf Raises 2x12-15

Lower 2

Deadlift 3x5 (I like low reps for DL)
Front Squat/Leg Press 3x10-12
Abs (whatever you like)
Calf Raises (different kind) 2x12-15[/i]

Yes, pairing 2 big lifts for lower body hurts. But it works.

However, something tells me you're going for a more old school 20 rep squat routine. Go with something tried and true rather than making up your own. You're new to training, so don't try to make your own programs until you've tried programs designed by experts. It's like trying to write a novel without reading any first to see how they're put together. You can read about the great novels all you want, but until you've experienced Dostoyevski for yourself, you'll never really understand.