T Nation

Good Sprint Routines

Anyone have any good sprinting routines they have found to be beneficial? I am going to start a 400m training program (based on CW’s recommendations in his new book) but wanted to hear what other experiences people have had.

I am looking for the same thing as you. ( http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1490263&pageNo=0 )

I am gonna check this thread for answers. If you get a PM with a program, PM it to me man. And I will do the same.

Will do, Superman.

Beneficial how? Fat loss? Speed gains?

I used to do HIIT on my bike but now I take my cockapoo around the neighborhood 3-4 times a week and our walks always end up as HIIT. 4-6 intervals each walk, some uphill, downhill or just flat.
Its informal but I don’t think I’m missing the benefits of a structured program. Combined with a caloric deficit I’ve lost 8 pounds this month. But I’ve been at this for 4 months and over that time I sprint further and faster. No stop watches, I gauge my speed by how far behind my dog I am.
HIIT is easy to figure out what will work for you. Warmup, sprint all out until you lose speed, walk until you feel recovered enough to go full speed again, repeat until you can’t reach full speed anymore, cool down, eat and rest.

[quote]texass wrote:
Beneficial how? Fat loss? Speed gains?

I used to do HIIT on my bike but now I take my cockapoo around the neighborhood 3-4 times a week and our walks always end up as HIIT. 4-6 intervals each walk, some uphill, downhill or just flat.
Its informal but I don’t think I’m missing the benefits of a structured program. Combined with a caloric deficit I’ve lost 8 pounds this month. But I’ve been at this for 4 months and over that time I sprint further and faster. No stop watches, I gauge my speed by how far behind my dog I am.
HIIT is easy to figure out what will work for you. Warmup, sprint all out until you lose speed, walk until you feel recovered enough to go full speed again, repeat until you can’t reach full speed anymore, cool down, eat and rest.[/quote]

Maybe your dog is just getting faster.
It obviously works better for dogs than for people. I’d get a slower dog to boost my confidence.

TNT

What has worked very well for me and my wife is to go to the local high school football stadium. We sprint the 100 meter straights and walk the curves. We usually do this for eight laps around the track. We sometimes mix it up by running up the bleachers and walking back down, then immediately run back up.

Repeat this for about twelve times and mix in some straight sprints on the track. It really works us out in a short time. It is only to supplement us on our non-weight training days.

Twice a week has been sufficient for us to keep the fat at bay. We use to do long jogs, but we found that the sprinting does a much better job in leaning us up.

Geode, did you find you built lower body muscle as well as getting leaner doing the sprints?

Geode, did you find you built lower body muscle as well as getting leaner doing the sprints?

[quote]geode wrote:
What has worked very well for me and my wife is to go to the local high school football stadium. We sprint the 100 meter straights and walk the curves. We usually do this for eight laps around the track. We sometimes mix it up by running up the bleachers and walking back down, then immediately run back up.

Repeat this for about twelve times and mix in some straight sprints on the track. It really works us out in a short time. It is only to supplement us on our non-weight training days.

Twice a week has been sufficient for us to keep the fat at bay. We use to do long jogs, but we found that the sprinting does a much better job in leaning us up.[/quote]

Thats not a bad idea. I think I might try that one of these days. Right now Im trying to think of some cardio to do.

husker29, I think the sprinting helped a lot in the appearance and shape of my lower body. I know my wife has really shaped up. Sprinting does all kinds of good things (hormonal)to enhance your ability to gain muscle and strength when combined with a good weight lifting program.

I found that I quickly added more weight to my squat and deadlift, then after a while I hit a plateau. I am in the midst of changing up my program because I had been using the same lifts for a long time.

Anyway, I’m pretty much a newbie in all of this, almost everything I’ve learned has come from this site.

Here are a few I’ve used over time:

5 min warmup, easing up to fast jogging speed. Maybe do some active stretching for lower body.
Mark your starting spot, then:
:30 all out sprint (uphill for more intensity)
2:30 walk back to starting spot. Do 10-20 pushups if you’re masochistic.
Repeat the sprint-rest (pushup) cycle up to 10 times, trying to match or beat the distance covered in your first 30 seconds.
Ease off, 5 minute walk-jog back home, stepping around puddles of your own vomit.

From Alwyn Cosgrove:
5 minute warmup.
1 minute sprint
2 minute easy jog.
Repeat sprint-jog cycle as many times as you wish.
Cool down.

I’ve also used 2 minute runs with 2 minute rest periods. Obviously, the longer your runs, the more aerobic it is and the shorter your runs, the more phosphegen/glygotic your run is.

It’s not all that different from changing your rep-rest schemes when you lift.

Wow, those are both sweet running workouts. I will have to try them this week.

I used the Cosgrove routine while deployed and it dropped my 2 mile run time significantly as well as leaned me out (I was already at or just under 13 mins for my 2 mile, so it’s saying something for its effectiveness). I’ll never look for another program, since I’ve found one that works like a charm (for me at least).

read this…
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459646