Good Shoes for Training

Hi,

I have been using running shoes for my training but have discovered that they give me an undesired “foward lean”. Are there any good shoes out there that would be great for squats/deadlifts that would give an even footing on the ground? Right now I am thinking of indoor soccer shoes due to the flat sole.

Thanks

Chuck Taylor’s.

Flat and great for squats.

Not terribly expensive either.

I work at a high end athletic shoe store and get to try a lot of new shoes that come out. I got some Asics Kayano 12’s when I started there and they have been awesome training shoes. I do not notice them giving me an excessive forward lean. Also, even though they are overhyped, Nike Free 5.0 v2’s, and 7.0’s are really fun to train in, but if you do train in them, be prepared to have sore muscles in your feet for a while.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Chuck Taylor’s.

Not terribly expensive either. [/quote]

Agreed.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:
Chuck Taylor’s.

Agreed.

[/quote]

2nd that notion. Im always wearin my chucks on leg day

I second the Nike Frees. Thin, breathable, the most comfortable pair of shoes I’ve ever owned. I never had the sore foot problem with them.

The only thing I didn’t like about the nike free is how the thin mesh by the heel ripped out. I had two pairs and both were badly ripped after just a couple months.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Chuck Taylor’s.

Not terribly expensive either. [/quote]

Will last you a life time, also great for deads. Got mine on sale $35 years ago still look good.
Phileaux

Is it that time of month again? Seriously, how many times are we going to have this same conversation? :slight_smile:

Carry on, gentlemen.

[quote]purdiver wrote:
The only thing I didn’t like about the nike free is how the thin mesh by the heel ripped out. I had two pairs and both were badly ripped after just a couple months.[/quote]

You know, now that you mentioned it, the same happened to mine. I blamed it on the dog, but thinking back it was a rip, not a chew.

I like my Adidas Samba’s for most lifting. They’re extremely flat and still look cool.

For Oly lifting I absolutely wear my Adidas lifting shoes.

Nike indoor soccer shoes, look great, can serve as shoes for court sports and for training. Indeed they are flat soled and very flexible. I read in on article on this site however, that its good to have not so grippy of a sole b/c when you squat your feet should slide out a bit? I guess this doesnt apply as much for my 120lb squat, so you may want to take their advice with the Chuck Taylor’s - IMO they are cheap ugly shoes though – I wouldn’t wear them in public unless they had a vintage design.

whenever i do squat or deadlifts, i’ll wear my reebok basketball shoes, with ankle support.

and it doesn’t have any “air” cushion under, so my feet are stable like on ground.

i blew all the shoe’s air if i wear them to do heavy squat or deadift.

[quote]combatmedic wrote:
purdiver wrote:
The only thing I didn’t like about the nike free is how the thin mesh by the heel ripped out. I had two pairs and both were badly ripped after just a couple months.

You know, now that you mentioned it, the same happened to mine. I blamed it on the dog, but thinking back it was a rip, not a chew.[/quote]

if youre like me, and you only actually tie your shoes, once every year or so, then thats why your heell probably ripped. Squeezing into your shoes while holding the back heel with your fingers always rips, all my shoes.

I refuse to retie, it’s unneccessary.

Whatever shoes you buy, make sure they can predict your body fat percentage. VEEERRRRYYYYY important!

[quote]combatmedic wrote:
purdiver wrote:

You know, now that you mentioned it, the same happened to mine. I blamed it on the dog, but thinking back it was a rip, not a chew.[/quote]

That happened with my Free runners too… Does that happen with the Free trainers as well?

No offense, but this thread comes up about once every couple of weeks.

Same question, same answers.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:
Chuck Taylor’s.

Agreed.

[/quote]

Nate, why are you wearing my shoes?

I like basketball shoes and bare feet.

Thanks guys.