Good Shake Recipe

Came across this shake recipe recently and I’ve been using it to pack more calories and protein into my day. Makes a good pre-workout ‘meal’. Nothing revolutionary, but I like it.

8 oz. skim milk
1 scoop protein powder (chocolate)
2 medium bananas
10 ice cubes
1 tablespoon peanut butter

Nuke the peanut butter until it begins to melt (+/- 40 seconds), put it along with everything else in the blender, and blend (“ice crush”) until smooth.

Nutrional info: 564 calories, 81g carbs, 42g protein, 10g fat.

Be careful about nuking (or heating) peanut butter - I believe it breaks down the fats which then makes them garbage to the body.

TS

This is my favorite recipe also. I’ve never found a need to heat the PB if using a blender. Just toss it in while the blades are spinning.

See? That’s whay I come here. Fresh ideas.

No more heating the peanut butter for me. Although it does keep sticking to the side of the jar. Ah well.

Thanks for the thoughts.

So if I were to bitch about the lactose and the high GI carbs in the bananas would that make me anal? I mean, that’s an assload of high GI carbs, why not leave out the PB and have a nice Post-Surge snack?

i have never found it necessary to heat the peanut butter.

just bang it in the blender and awa-hay you go.

If you freeze the bananas, you don’t need to use the ice. I make a shake like this in my Magic Bullet, but I also add ground oatmeal.

[quote]Shinigami wrote:
If you freeze the bananas, you don’t need to use the ice. I make a shake like this in my Magic Bullet, but I also add ground oatmeal.[/quote]

+1

I omit the peanut butter because it makes me belch. I add an extra scoop of Low-Carb Grow!.

[quote]Bad John wrote:
I add an extra scoop of Low-Carb Grow!.
[/quote]

Is Low-Carb Grow! really good? I’ve never used it, I’m using Whey Gourmet.

Have tried cashew, or almond butter in place of PB?

[quote]Shinigami wrote:
Bad John wrote:
I add an extra scoop of Low-Carb Grow!.

Is Low-Carb Grow! really good? I’ve never used it, I’m using Whey Gourmet.
[/quote]

Yes, I dont know what else you want. It is my favorite for both quality and taste.

Give it a try.

[quote]jolly roger wrote:
Came across this shake recipe recently and I’ve been using it to pack more calories and protein into my day. Makes a good pre-workout ‘meal’. Nothing revolutionary, but I like it.

8 oz. skim milk
1 scoop protein powder (chocolate)
2 medium bananas
10 ice cubes
1 tablespoon peanut butter

Nuke the peanut butter until it begins to melt (+/- 40 seconds), put it along with everything else in the blender, and blend (“ice crush”) until smooth.

Nutrional info: 564 calories, 81g carbs, 42g protein, 10g fat. [/quote]

If you want more calories why are you not using whole milk ?

Oh hang on, scratch that advice, some smart ass will tell me that whole milk is bad for a shed load of reasons, if anyone was going to say that be aware that the
A1 β-casein in bovine milk has been linked to ischaemic heart disease and type I diabetes so do best just not touch anything that’s been near a cow. Heh heh !

Basically for every reason why not to drink whole milk…I’ll give you two reasons to drink it. I actually wrote a dissertation, Critical Nutritional Comparison of Whey and Casein too (well the actual title was a little more elaborate than that) if anyone wants the gen on that too.