T Nation

Good Reading Material for Workouts

I've been training seriously for about 8 months now, but I still don't really have a solid workout routine.

I do chest/tri's on one day, legs on another, and back/bi's on the last. I've just had the mentality of "lift big, eat big, get big", and It's been working ok so far, but it feels pretty sloppy. I just do whatever exercises I feel like doing and I don't think I'm getting the results that I could be getting.

I'm looking for a good workout routine to help me build mass. I'm currently 170 lbs looking to gain a lot of weight (up from 140). I was just wondering what a good workout routine would be for me.

I don't mind looking into/buying books either if you have any recommendations. Something that covers nutrition too would be great. Preferably by someone who walks the walk, not someone who weighs as much as me. Thanks for any help.

as far as books go, I would recommend Chad Waterbury's "Huge In a Hurry". although there could be more on nutrition in there. you could try a John Berardi book if you're looking for more on nutrition. both of those guys walk the walk and know what they're talking about. they also both happen to write for T-Nation. read the stickies in this section too, there are some great articles posted in there written by Thibaudeau and others.

check out some of the routines on this page:

Scrawny to Brawny by John Berardi and Brawn by Stuart McRobert are good too.

i just started that book and actually got a lot (with some complimentary poliquin reading) on nutrition. something as simple as eating 20g of protein 6x/d has made a big difference for me mentally. coffee consumption is way down. i am hopeful for the body change in the months to come.

his big neuro-phys kick of lifting with speed intention is a lot of fun. for sure it demands your core for stabilization and i am trusting in the idea of major muscle recruitment.

although i have tried ripptoe and some rosstraining before, for some time now i have just been winging it. having direction: a game plan, is great. i've got 3 months of training laid out for me to follow: each exercise, load, reps, rest period. $20 bucks for a great personal trainer =)

For my money, you don't get any better than Thibaudeau or Dave Tate/Louie Simmons. Thib's books are great, although they don't give you an outlined ready-to-go training plan. Dave Tate and Simmons are fan-freakin-tastic when it comes to walking the walk. You just don't get any better than a 930 lb squat, and a 55 year old who STILL squats over 800. Even if you're not a powerlifter, they know how to get you BIG if you eat for it. They also know how to get you strong as well. You can tweak the programs for mass gain.

Checkout elitefts.com and look through their books. They also have training EFS booklets or "Manuals" which are geared towards outlining exercises and/or training cycles.

Anything by thibs is great IMO. I've got most of his books and I learn something new.

Most of all though, I'd recommend just going through the archives here at T-Nation. Pick an author and just read all their articles, then move on to another author. It's free and you learn a SHIT-TON. Reading that stuff cannot be over-stated. I've read all of the articles in the archives, and often still go back and re-read stuff from different articles.

A lot of author's writings change from time to time and thus all of their old articles are worth reading to get the whole flavor. Some periods I like more than others--for example, I personally don't like much that Waterbury writes currently, but a few years ago I think he had some great ideas that were really useful to me. Now, I STILL read his current stuff, just to see if I can pick up anything useful. Occasionally I do.

Free e books are good

From the Ground Up by Dan John

Starting Strength Wiki by Rippetoe

West Side for Skinny Bastards by Joe DeFranco

Self Myofascial Release by Mike Robertson

Concept 2 Training Manual by Various Coaches

Strong Lifts