Good Protein Bar

[quote]reynoldsng wrote:
I’ve used ISS Reasearch’s Pro42 bar in the past. It’s more of an mrp though. 42 grams of a whey protein mixture.

Currently using a Universal Nutrition product called Animal Snak. Again, an mrp with 30 grams of a protein mixture

Anyone have an opinion of these bars?[/quote]

Never heard of them, just had to look them up…

ISS Pro42 bar partial ingredients:

Glycerine, Coating (Contains: Lactitol, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Cocoa [processed with alkali], Partially Hydrogenated Palm Oil, 50 million other ingredients…

Survey says: Crap!

Universal Nutrition Animal Snak partial ingredients:

Rice Syrup, Barley Malt Syrup, Chocolate Coating (Containing Sugar, Soybean And Cottonseed Oil, Whey Powder, Soya Lecithin, Salt And Flavor), Glycerine, Invert Sugar, 50 million other ingredients…

Survey says: More Crap!

[quote]veruvius wrote:
I’ve tried plenty of bars, so I can comment on mainstream bars and their tastes. My favorites were MHP Up your Mass!, Detour bars, some of the Labrada bars. MHP uses the best ingredients out of those. You’ll get flax seed oil and fiber, plenty of carbs because it’s a gainer bar, and not much junk. They make some non-gainer bars too, now, which I hear taste great. I never paid much attention to the nutrition because if I was buying a bar I was hungry enough to eat my arm. That wouldn’t help with gaining weight, though.[/quote]

MHP Up Your Mass partial ingredients:

maltitol syrup, chocolate flavored coating, chocolate fudge, cocoa powder, glycerin, lgi carbohydrate blend, gellan gum, malt extract, maltodextrin fructo oilgassacharides, sunflower oil, soy lecithin, natural and artificial flavor.

Survey Says: Yet more crap!

[quote]Right Side Up wrote:
If I have to get a bar, I get the orignal Met-Rx Big 100 bar. It’s loaded with carbs(+50) and sugar (~27), but protein is up above 30 and is comprised of their milk blends. It’s filling and tastes good.[/quote]

Met-Rx Big 100 bar partial ingredients:

Corn Syrup, Brown Rice Syrup, Coated Chocolate Chips (Chips [Sugar, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Dextrose, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Artificial Flavor], Coating [Confectioner’s Glaze, Gum Arabic, Corn Syrup]), Whey Crisps (Whey Protein Isolate, Rice Flour), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Fructose, Canola Oil, Maltodextrin, Glycerine, 50 million other ingredients…

Survey Says: More and More Crap!

So, since this is the umpteenth million thread of this type, and we are apparently yet unsatisfied, who wants to start making AND marketing our own? PM me. Serious.

BFG

Please do not hijack this thread with any more crap bars.

Protein Bar Lover Boy Says:
“But they taste good Randman and they have protein and stuff in them. What the hell do you know? Why do you think my Labrada Metrx double-fudge backflip mass-gaining german strudel bar is so bad?”

Randman Says:

"Stop looking at the # of protein, carb and fat grams and focus your eyes on the ingredient list and you’ll see what I mean. Here’s how you’ll know:

• a laundry list of ingredients = bad
  • carbs disguised as glycerine, maltitol, syrups, etc. = bad
  • any bar advertised in a bodybuilding magazine = bad"

I like the Kong bars (more carbs) because they contain 5-8 grams of fiber <=7 grams of sugar and taste great.

I also like Nitro-tech bars.

[quote]fedorov91 wrote:
I like the Kong bars (more carbs) because they contain 5-8 grams of fiber <=7 grams of sugar and taste great.

I also like Nitro-tech bars.[/quote]

Kong bar partial ingredients:

Glycerine and Hydrolyzed Gelatin

Survey Says: Although not as bad as the other bars (it does have rolled oats as the main carb) it still has some crap ingredients

Nitro-Tech full ingredient list (are you kidding?):

SynthePro (Whey Peptides [modified weight and partially predigested (hydrolyzed) Whey Protein Concentrate (providing di-, tri-, oligo-, and polypeptides) {shorter and longer chains of amino acids}), and new Ion-Exchanged specially filtered 97% Whey Protein Isolate, l-leucine, l-methionine, l-phenylalanine, lactoferrin {SynthePro full spectrum whey protein fractions include- Beta Lactoglobulin ~55%, Alpha Lactalbumin ~15%, Glycomacropeptides ~21%, Immunoglobulins ~3%, Bovine Serum Albumin ~2%, Lactoferrin <1%), milk protein, casein and calcium caseinate, hydrolyzed protein, glycerine, micronized creatine monohydrate, water, maltitol syrup, modified palm/palm kernel oils, polydextrose, oligofructose, natural and artificial flavors, dried blueberries, canola oil, maltodextrins, skim milk powder, apple juice concentrate, yogurt solids, maltodextrins, lecithin, citric acid; Insulogen (guar gum, glucomannan, d-myo-inositol, taurine, pharmaceutical-grade alpha lipoic acid, Inzitol {d-pinitol} Nitroxen (glycosidal saponins, folic acid); glutamine blend (l-glutamine, glutamine peptides, calcium alpha-ketoglutarate); vitamin and mineral blend (ascorbic acid, dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate, niacinamide, zinc oxide, cholecalciferol, beta-carotene, vitamin A palmitate, maltodextrin, d-calcium pantothenate, ferrous fumarate, thiamin mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, potassium iodide, cyanocobalamin, cupric oxide, biotin); soya bean oil, malic acid, mono-and diglycerides, magnesium oxide, salt, modified starch, dicalcium phosphate, sunflower oil, sucralose, mixed tocopherols, n-acetyl-cysteine.

Survey Says: Mucho Crapo!

[quote]randman wrote:
Right Side Up wrote:
If I have to get a bar, I get the orignal Met-Rx Big 100 bar. It’s loaded with carbs(+50) and sugar (~27), but protein is up above 30 and is comprised of their milk blends. It’s filling and tastes good.

Met-Rx Big 100 bar partial ingredients:

Corn Syrup, Brown Rice Syrup, Coated Chocolate Chips (Chips [Sugar, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Dextrose, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Artificial Flavor], Coating [Confectioner’s Glaze, Gum Arabic, Corn Syrup]), Whey Crisps (Whey Protein Isolate, Rice Flour), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Fructose, Canola Oil, Maltodextrin, Glycerine, 50 million other ingredients…

Survey Says: More and More Crap![/quote]

yummy

Ah, I couldn’t think of this one before:

Tri-o-Plex

They seem to use whole carb sources, etc., but I do believe there is some soy, which doesn’t bother me much, but I know it does some.

Randman, what do you think of this bar?

I think I have a good guess on what Randman Thinks.

Randman… If I poured Surge into bad mold and froze it… would that be a good alternative? Of course I will be adding ground up horse hooves and my own fingernails.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
I think I have a good guess on what Randman Thinks.

Randman… If I poured Surge into bad mold and froze it… would that be a good alternative? Of course I will be adding ground up horse hooves and my own fingernails.[/quote]

LMAO!!!

[quote]Right Side Up wrote:
Ah, I couldn’t think of this one before:

Tri-o-Plex

They seem to use whole carb sources, etc., but I do believe there is some soy, which doesn’t bother me much, but I know it does some.

Randman, what do you think of this bar?[/quote]

Tri-o-Plex partial ingredients:

Fruit blend (fruit juice, natural grain dextrin), glucose syrup, water, whole grain rolled oats, canola oil, palm kernel oil, peanuts, cocoa processed with alkali, non fat dry milk, peanut butter, sugar, peanut flour, oat flour, natural and artificial flavor, vegetable glycerin, etc.

Survey Says: Partial Crapo! Yes, the first carb source listed (in greatest quantity) is fruit juice but the has been stripped from the fruit equaling a nice big insulin response in your system to make you nice and fat. Glucose Syrup, sugar, and vegetable glycerin = wrong answers!

Pill: “Hi my name is Spike, I’m here to blow your head off.”

Bar: “Nice to meet you Spike, my name is Grow D.Bar. I to used to blow peoples heads off also but I was eaten to extinction.”

And the crys from the hungry masses were heard: “Oh, if only there was a reputable supp company to fill this void in the lives of so many. Backpacks, lunchbags, and desk drawers all around the world will be filled with nutritional goodness. And the dreaded, evil catabolism would be brought to it’s knees.”

[quote]ChrisPowers wrote:
ZEB wrote:
http://www.prolithic.com/hpages/efoods/elev8me.html

This is far from perfect, but what do you think?

After ZEB posted this link, I decided to give these bars a try. I know the majority opinion on these boards seems to be “real men eat meat, not candy bars with protein powder in them,” but since when have I cared about popular opinion? I like to have something that’s highly portable for those UNEXPECTED times when you’re in a hurry, or know you’re going to be away from good whole foods for a while and want something that’s easy to grab and just stick in your pocket or whatever.

Lonnie Lowery talks about this sort of thing quite a bit, like his famous “car snacks” of dried fruit and nuts to stave off KFC and Taco Bell cravings. Anyway, let me just say, these bars taste fantastic. Sure, they may not be the best choice when on a carb-restricted cutting diet, but right now I’m bulking, and I’ll take all the quality carbs that I can get. The only quibble I might have is the fact that the first ingredient on all these bars after the whey protein is usually dates or raisins, which aren’t really my top choices of dried fruits as far as nutrient density goes, but beggars can’t be choosers.

So far I’ve tried the “All-Fruit Original” and “Banana Nut Bread” flavors, and they seriously kick ass. They’re a little dry and chewy, but the flavor is fantastic. I would say that if you’re in the market for some anti-cheating insurance, pick yourself up a Variety 12-Pack to see which flavors you like best. If we all support a product like this, we won’t have to worry about them going out of business, or caving in to the pressures of capitalism and substituting soy protein and collagen for whey, or sugar and caramel for fruit.

Here’s a direct link to the company’s web site for more information:

It seems that the only place you can order them in the United States is at the link ZEB posted. Thanks for bringing this product to my attention, bro.[/quote]

Chris,

Glad you like it. It is by far the best Protein bar on the market. I have looked everywhere.

seriously… do you know how many Grow! bars I would buy. That is of course unless there is a recipe in Berardi’s cookbook that my brother and I just got. In that case, let me rephrase… Do you know how mnay grow bars I’m going to make?

I’ll sell them for like, a dollar.

My fav … and I don’t know what is in it … based on taste only (it does have lots of protein though) … PureProtein - Blueberry Cheese cake.

I go through a box a week. ;o)

Yum,

Goblin.