Good Protein Bar

Hey gang,

Wondering if any of you have any recommendations for a good protein bar, which is also filled with healthy ingredients. This means, no soy, syrup, refined sugar etc.

I know T-Nation used to make a great bar, but unfortuneately, they stopped production.

All productive responses are welcome.

Thanks,

Zeb

Your best bet for a clean protein bar is just making your own. There are some great recipies in John Williams and John Berardi’s new book “Gourment Nutrition”. Here’s the link…

http://www.johnberardi.com/products/gourmet/index.htm

Zeb –

Unfortunately, I think the ones that sell themselves as “natural” and would normally be good are the ones that tend to have a lot of soy protein. Odwalla bars fall into that category (more of an MRP than a protein bar, but you know what I mean.). The other ones have all the other sugar and crap.

And a lot of the low-carb bars have the most soy protein. I’ve looked a lot in the stores and on Netrition.com, and I haven’t found any I would be happy with if I were wanting to incorporate them into my diet on a regular basis.

That said, when I’m stuck unprepared on a trip and there’s a GNC in the airport (like in NYC at La Guardia), I’ll usually get a Met-Rx bar or a Labrada bar – at least they taste OK and don’t list Soy as a main protein.

If you’re asking 'cause you want to stock bars in your new gym, I would stick with offering shakes.

http://www.prolithic.com/hpages/efoods/elev8me.html

This is far from perfect, but what do you think?

Looks better than all the other ones I have seen. Natural ingredients and no soy protein – hard to beat that unless you make your own.

My opinion is that their whey could come from anywhere, or it might even be dirt.

May I just ask, why a bar?

Why not a Grow! shake and some dried fruit or nuts.

Or I also agree with trying Berardi’s bar recipes. I believe he travelled around equipped with little more than homemade protein bars and greens powder, and did quite well for himself.

RIT Jared

Personally I would use a bar far more often than I currently use my Grow! shakes. For some reason I just have a hard time getting a thick liquid down the pipe and then I feel full for hours afterward. Surge is thin enough for me but I really have a hard time getting down any legitamate protein shake. While conversely I can eat 2 protien bars at a sitting and still be hungry an hour or two later. I think it’s probably just personal preference for most people but shakes just don’t sit well with me.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

This is far from perfect, but what do you think?[/quote]

This is the best protein bar I’ve seen on the market. All natural ingredients, no crap. The only question would be the quality of the whey but other than that; it looks pretty darn good.

The Warrior Diet has its own bar now too, free of that artificial crap, and with low sugar(5g) but not neccesarily low carb(24g). Only 13g of protein though.

Graham Cracker Delight Flavour

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:
My opinion is that their whey could come from anywhere, or it might even be dirt.

May I just ask, why a bar?

Why not a Grow! shake and some dried fruit or nuts.

Or I also agree with trying Berardi’s bar recipes. I believe he travelled around equipped with little more than homemade protein bars and greens powder, and did quite well for himself.

RIT Jared[/quote]

I love Grow!, but sometimes it’s nice to have an additional source of protein which is easy to grab on the fly. As I stated, I wish that Biotest made a good protein bar as they once did.

[quote]Moon Knight wrote:
The Warrior Diet has its own bar now too, free of that artificial crap, and with low sugar(5g) but not neccesarily low carb(24g). Only 13g of protein though.

Graham Cracker Delight Flavour[/quote]

Thanks Moon I’ll check it out!

[quote]ZEB wrote:

This is far from perfect, but what do you think?[/quote]

After ZEB posted this link, I decided to give these bars a try. I know the majority opinion on these boards seems to be “real men eat meat, not candy bars with protein powder in them,” but since when have I cared about popular opinion? I like to have something that’s highly portable for those UNEXPECTED times when you’re in a hurry, or know you’re going to be away from good whole foods for a while and want something that’s easy to grab and just stick in your pocket or whatever.

Lonnie Lowery talks about this sort of thing quite a bit, like his famous “car snacks” of dried fruit and nuts to stave off KFC and Taco Bell cravings. Anyway, let me just say, these bars taste fantastic. Sure, they may not be the best choice when on a carb-restricted cutting diet, but right now I’m bulking, and I’ll take all the quality carbs that I can get. The only quibble I might have is the fact that the first ingredient on all these bars after the whey protein is usually dates or raisins, which aren’t really my top choices of dried fruits as far as nutrient density goes, but beggars can’t be choosers.

So far I’ve tried the “All-Fruit Original” and “Banana Nut Bread” flavors, and they seriously kick ass. They’re a little dry and chewy, but the flavor is fantastic. I would say that if you’re in the market for some anti-cheating insurance, pick yourself up a Variety 12-Pack to see which flavors you like best. If we all support a product like this, we won’t have to worry about them going out of business, or caving in to the pressures of capitalism and substituting soy protein and collagen for whey, or sugar and caramel for fruit.

Here’s a direct link to the company’s web site for more information:

It seems that the only place you can order them in the United States is at the link ZEB posted. Thanks for bringing this product to my attention, bro.

I like Vyo-Pro from AST:
http://www.ast-ss.com/Products/ProductPage.asp?ProdID=27

What do you guys think of Next Proteins: Detour Bar?

[quote]mr_anomaly wrote:
I like Vyo-Pro from AST:
http://www.ast-ss.com/Products/ProductPage.asp?ProdID=27[/quote]

Maltitol and partially hydrogenated soybean oil? No thanks.

I’ve used ISS Reasearch’s Pro42 bar in the past. It’s more of an mrp though. 42 grams of a whey protein mixture.

Currently using a Universal Nutrition product called Animal Snak. Again, an mrp with 30 grams of a protein mixture

Anyone have an opinion of these bars?

I have to agree with RIT. Why a bar?

Personally, I like to make a double-batch of Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes:

Mix together the wet stuff:

• 4 whole eggs + 2-4 egg whites/beaters
  • 1 cap full of vanilla extract

In a large separate bowl mix together the dry stuff:

• 2 Cups rolled oats
  • 1 heaping teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1/2 cup splenda

Mix the wet into the dry - mix thoroughly

Mix in the final ingredients

• 1 cup cottage cheese (I use whole/4%, but do what you have to)
  • 1 cup (defrosted) frozen blueberries (or whatever frozen berry suits you - but chop up strawberrys, since they are too big)

Once all the ingredients are combined, let sit for 5 min (while you heat up the pan)

Use some cooking spray to coat the pan, and ladel in 1/3 cup for each pancake. I have a large 14inch pan, and I manage to cook 4 at a time…but most other pans will accomidate only 2-3.

These pancakes need to cook on a lower heat and cook slowly, since they are so dense…if you cook too hot/fast, they will burn.

I usually eat 1/2 the batch (while cooking), and save the rest for later snacks.

To quote my son - “delicious”

Detour bars contain soy, which is bad. Personally, I liked them until I discovered that fact.

I’ve tried plenty of bars, so I can comment on mainstream bars and their tastes. My favorites were MHP Up your Mass!, Detour bars, some of the Labrada bars. MHP uses the best ingredients out of those. You’ll get flax seed oil and fiber, plenty of carbs because it’s a gainer bar, and not much junk. They make some non-gainer bars too, now, which I hear taste great. I never paid much attention to the nutrition because if I was buying a bar I was hungry enough to eat my arm. That wouldn’t help with gaining weight, though.

If I have to get a bar, I get the orignal Met-Rx Big 100 bar. It’s loaded with carbs(+50) and sugar (~27), but protein is up above 30 and is comprised of their milk blends. It’s filling and tastes good.