T Nation

Good Proatmeal Recipes?

just trying to get my diet up to par and heard combo of protein and oatmeal cooked together is a good start… however, i have no experience with cooking such a meal, anyone know how to do this or what a good basic recipe is?

I always just pour my oats uncooked into my protein shake and let it sit for a little while. It’s still a little chewy, but I feel like I always get filled up better when I eat stuff I have to chew a lot(broccoli, oats, etc.)

Cook oats, stir in protein. The oats have cooking instructions on the package, probably something like bring 1 cup water to a boil, stir in oats and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once they’re cooked, toss in the whey, stir, good to go. As @lord_humongous mentioned you could also toss them into your shake and leave them in there to expand a bit.

See I still suck at cooking oatmeal. Whenever I bring the water to a boil (as much water as it says to in the instructions) and let em simmer in it for half an hour, it still ends up just being a bunch of oats sitting in water. microwaving works, but I heard that degrades the nutritional value of the oats so I just put em in my shakes raw

great thanks will try both methods… if i come across any news ones i will share them back!

do you ever make a big batch and store or would that degrade anything?

Yes I’ve done that before, the whole protein degradation thing is overblown and not fully understood by most. Microwaving protein, baking with it, etc., all fine. You can definitely make a big batch, the only thing I’ve found is reheated proatmeal usually doesn’t have the same consistency or taste as good as when it’s first done. But cold proatmeal is also very tasty, so if I make a big batch, I’ll have one serving hot, the rest I’ll portion out in the fridge and have cold, quick and easy grab-and-go meal.

I’ve tried it in the microwave to save time but it always winds up bubbling over and making a huge mess, so I stick to the stove top.

thanks robstein, will give the batch a try!

Happy to help man, be sure to post back with any additional questions!

I like to cook mine in a slow cooker. I add 1 cup of steel cut oats, 3 cups of water, a cup of frozen fruit, and 1 scoop of protein powder. I also butter the pot so the oatmeal doesn’t stick to the sides, set on Low and let it cook over night. Hot and ready by morning.

Check out Mike Dolce’s Breakfast bowl. Great wee oats recipe which you can modify over time.

Unrelated however 2 of these a day had the scales flying upwards, for me personally

Pretty much this. It’s not so much “cooking oatmeal and protein together”. It’s adding protein powder to already-cooked oats.

I generally boil water, toss steel cut oats in a bowl, then add the water, cover it for 5 minutes or so. Then add Metabolic Drive and extra water if needed (I prefer oatmeal on the thicker side instead of thinned out), and last, add extras like cinnamon, peanut butter, blueberries, almonds, or whatever.

A night-before breakfast I’ll make sometimes is equal parts steel cut oats, milk, and Greek yogurt (usually 4-6 tablespoons each) and a handful of frozen fruit all in a covered bowl, let sit in the fridge overnight. Next morning, stir in a scoop of protein and some extra milk (or even water), and you’re good to go.

My go-to is always overnight oats:

40g old fashioned oats
20g of creamy buckwheat
1 scoop metabolc drive
5g Superfood
12g powdered peanut butter
2 teaspoons cinnamon
14g chia seeds
160g of some type of milk

Mix it all up and throw it in the fridge the night before

“I generally boil water, toss steel cut oats in a bowl, then add the water, cover it for 5 minutes or so. Then add Metabolic Drive and extra water if needed (I prefer oatmeal on the thicker side instead of thinned out), and last, add extras like cinnamon, peanut butter, blueberries, almonds, or whatever.”

This is also what I do, I prefer this over cooking the oats on the stove, slow cooker, etc. I guess I like my oats slightly under-cooked, just boil water in the electric kettle and pour it in oats / protein mixture. Additions are nice if I’m feeling ambitious but this is usually my go to meal when I’m short on time or for a pre-workout meal.

When I was younger I used to crack a raw egg and mix in before cooking oatmeal. Should start that again…

I think you should get John Berardi’s Gourmet Nutrition books. He has many recipes with oatmeal and protein, including bars.

okay thanks BH, i get subscribe to his free email so maybe pick up one of his books