Good Prices On Plates?

Greetings to fellow muscle heads. I was wondering if anyione has had good experience with certain suppliers for plates. Specificaly when it comes to prices. I’m located in the midwest and even if travel is necesitated as long as the price is right. Specifaly looking for 45 or 100 lbs plates as well as used to. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I bought mine locally at a place that resells used sports equipment, Play It Again Sports. I got them super-cheap that way. You might look for something similar.

Even if you have to buy new, it might be cheaper to buy locally than to get them shipped to you.

Play It Again Sports has the best prices per pound on dumbbells and plates.

However, be sure to look in your local newspaper to find good deals!

Go to your local Wal-Mart and get a base price for their weights. If you live near a big city there is usually someone selling their old stuff in the newspaper.

I knew one guy who went to the junk yard and bought car flywheels. He would knock out the pinion gear and use the rest as his plates.

If you go to a good hardware store you can get washers/fender-washers that fit one inch bars or the two inch bars. You will need to weigh and mark them. They work as fractional plates.

I am specificaly looking for bumper plates. We all know they are pricey but so are concrete floors.

[quote]tbared wrote:
I am specificaly looking for bumper plates. We all know they are pricey but so are concrete floors. [/quote]

I’m planning on building adapters so I can mount a tire/wheel combo to a olympic bar so I can do cleans and other lifts in my back yard! Yeah probably doesnt help you but just felt like sharing

Hey what part of Wisconsin do you live in? I work at 2nd Wind Exercise. We sell plates for 49 cents a pound, we sell bumper plates too, id have to look up the price for you. I work at one of the stores in iowa, but there are some in wisconsin

I know that Wal-mart sells olympic weights for about 50 cents a pound, but i don’t know if they are any good (how consistently close to the weights they say they are). Anyone know if the Wal-mart gold’s gym weights are any good?

I checked 2nd wind they wanted a mortage and stool sample…thanks though

what do you know about jesup gym equipment. they seem to have some deals

I’ve found you get the best prices on plates by buying the full 300# sets from Sports Authority. They’re on sale every week for about $109. That’s $0.42 cents per pound for plates (I excluded the weight of the bar) and you get a knock-around bar for free. You can then buy padding to protect your floor. Quality padding can be fairly expensive ($50 for 4’x4’), but it’s actually thicker and more durable rubber than what you get on bumpers. That’s just another way of looking at your problem.

DB

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
I’ve found you get the best prices on plates by buying the full 300# sets from Sports Authority. They’re on sale every week for about $109. That’s $0.42 cents per pound for plates (I excluded the weight of the bar) and you get a knock-around bar for free. You can then buy padding to protect your floor. Quality padding can be fairly expensive ($50 for 4’x4’), but it’s actually thicker and more durable rubber than what you get on bumpers. That’s just another way of looking at your problem.

DB[/quote]

I picked up two 4x6’ heavy duty rubber mats from a feed store for $75. They weigh 100lbs each, but they stay in place and two of them are perfect for training at home. I bought additional smaller interlocking pads from Target for $14 for a pack of 4 or 6 pads (2x2’). I use them around the main pads and to put equipment on. Works great!

[quote]tbared wrote:
I am specificaly looking for bumper plates. We all know they are pricey but so are concrete floors. [/quote]

Get a horse stall mat instead to save your concrete.