T Nation

Good Practice to Improve Running?

Although I would not consider myself a beginning lifter, I have never included running much in my work outs. I have always been able to out perform most girls at my age and weight (20 years old, 5'5" and 120lbs). I do much better with upper body work outs than lower body work outs. Since I have started college, it has been difficult for me to find another girl to consistently lift with, so I have resorted to more at home work outs that I can do on my own time.

I am trying to include running in to my every day activities. I have never been very good at running, seemingly because I am out of shape. I am athletic, I just lack any endurance whatsoever. I also have hyperthyroidism, meaning my metabolism is too fast; Effectively, my cells use oxygen too fast. As of now, I have right around a 10 minute mile, which is practically walking, but it is too difficult for me to go any faster.

In order to get better, obviously, I need to run more. Is it best to run every day? Or should I still be taking rest days? If so, how many? What type of breathing would help supply more oxygen to my body? Are there any pre-work out routines I should get in to? In general, what are good practices to help improve my running ability?

quit thinking so much

go run

In through the nose, out through the mouth. What do you mean?

While you exercise, especially aerobically you rarely breathe through your nose. As for rest days yes you should take some rest days, 2-3 per week would be good as a start. Try increasing eiether the distance or speed in which you run gradually will create improvement. Before you run a good warm up with help increase your body temperature which in turn will help your body acclimate to the stresses of your workout.

Should I try to regulate my breathing by counting steps?

^ I'd say no but what do I know? My experience has been that one day you'll notice it takes a lot longer until your mouth breathing heavy. At that point you'll know you're now in better shape. Like Rockula said, just go run. Try every other day and see how it goes.

breathe in, stick out your stomach, then breathing out your stomach should be kinda sucking in. Takes a while getting used to but after i started breathing with my "diaphram" and in the nose out the mouth try to control my breathing during running my times dropped alot and my throat and lungs didnt burn

make sure your stretching your calves out alot and do some strengthening of you shin muscles to avoid getting shin splints especially if youve gained weight from lifting or just naturally heavy. You shin muscles act like shock absorbers and after they get tired your bones esp the tibia takes beating causing shin splints which leads to stress fractures.

get good running shoes

just remeber when running use your whole leg and really feel yourself using your glutes, hammies, and calves.

This info isnt anything pro but just stuff i wish i did earlier. Preventing injuries and complications before they can happen is something that always will be a positive in training.

TS, you have a lot to learn about running. I suggest going to the library or getting a book on running from amazon. There is more to learn than what can be explained on a forum thread.

The Army PFT calendar would be nice to use on your off days, and gradually gets you to the point of running a solid 2 miles continuously.