Good Pocket Knives

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Opinions on Gerber knives.[/quote]

They’re pretty good. What model are you looking at?

I’ve owned gerber, SOG, benchmade, S&W, buck, CKRT, spiderCO, Kershaw, and many others I can’t remember. What tasks do you plan to use the knife for? Are there any local laws that prevent you from carry a certain blade length or style?
[/quote]

I am in CA so no longer than 4 inches, switchblades,
ballistic knives.

I am an Wireman Apprentice so, I have been using a cheap pocket knife for a lot of on the fly cutting. Nothing really specific the hardest material had been med thick plastic. I also work in some sketchy areas during 2nd and 3rd shifts so, added protection would be nice.
[/quote]

I wouldn’t pay over 60$ for a knife in that line of duty. You could lose it or break it fairly easily. I’d go to a knife store and ask to handle the knives. Open, closing, carrying etc. Depending on your hand size, you may like different thicknesses of handles. I’m fairly partial to kershaw knives, good quality and reasonable prices.

[/quote]

See, that is not entirely true.

The Benchmade that is my EDC weighs less than 50 grams without the clip, you dont even notice its there, most of the time, but break it?

Good luck with that.

There is a reason why it costs what it costs, but if you are not prone to losing stuff, you will have that knife forever.

Thats why I like it, looks like nothing, never in the way, always there.

edit: I dont do construction though, so… maybe…

On the other hand of the spectrum, there is of course Zombietools:

If your wire cutting activities are frequently interrupted by the Undead, you need to knife up.

Also, at that size, losing it is probably not going to happen.

For everyday use; I’m a Kershaw fan…

[quote]pushharder wrote:
My everyday carry knife: http://www.amazon.com/GERBER-22-41967-Mini-Covert-FAST/dp/B00I0JM9T8

Have had it for 11 months and the blade is simply too loose. However, I like it otherwise especially the serration. A serrated blade is the way to go for many uses especially cutting rope and twine.[/quote]

Maybe you want something like this then.

Those Benchmade knives do have an Axis lock which is hard to explain, but if you take it apart you see while the blade has no play.

I have a swiss army knife on my keychain.

tweet

My EDC for the past year or so has been this:

Assisted Opening Knives, Spring Assist & Spring Loaded Knives | Benchmade Knife Company (Benchmade Griptilian, modified drop point, Mel Pardue design)

Can’t complain, it does daily jobs very well for cutting when need be, overall rugged timeless design, a lot of people like the even smaller “Mini” version.

Before that it was the Spyderco Tenacious, liked it a lot but made the mistake of having a half/straight half serrated edge, a hassle of sharpening

Go on Spyderco forums, or Benchmade, Youtube video reviews to get a feel for what you’d like…

Gerber knives are for babies. I tear shit up with my bare hands like an alf a. Bigfoot is my role model. No knives, no guns, pure brute.

Don’t get a pocket knife. Get a knife that has a sheath. Forget it, carry a sword.

‘That ain’t no knife, This is a knife’

[quote]pushharder wrote:
A serrated blade is the way to go for many uses especially cutting rope and twine.[/quote]

… and pubic hair, evidently.

lol

[quote]orion wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-530-Pardue-Axis/dp/B00KETOXFA

There it is…

I always take the clip off, you would need a Torx screwdriver, a T5 or T6.

Dont use them if they dont fit perfectly, you would just wear the screws out. [/quote]

Check your local laws if buying a double edge knife. They are illegal in my state.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
A serrated blade is the way to go for many uses especially cutting rope and twine.[/quote]

… and pubic hair, evidently.

lol
[/quote]

Yikes, I wouldn’t know.[/quote]

I was going by the pic you posted. Random hairs there, thus my use of the word, “evidently.”

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-530-Pardue-Axis/dp/B00KETOXFA

There it is…

I always take the clip off, you would need a Torx screwdriver, a T5 or T6.

Dont use them if they dont fit perfectly, you would just wear the screws out. [/quote]

Check your local laws if buying a double edge knife. They are illegal in my state.
[/quote]

I checked my local laws and I can own a fucking Katana!

We had a lot of laws regarding blades and then someone apparently did not feel it any longer and now we dont.

Plus, it still only has one edge.

Big fan of the Spyderco Native for EDC.

[center] [/center]

Gerber, sadly, has gone downhill in quality over the last few years. That said, I keep this one around because it’s cheap, the blades are replaceable, and if I mess it up, who cares? It was under 10 bucks.

[center] [/center]

Most major knife brands these days have two lines - great quality and not-so-great quality. Cold Steel, CRKT, Spyderco etc. So the price is going to tell you a lot. Benchmade is great and their lines are basically this: great, super great, and fancy great. Can’t go wrong there. I’m actually carrying an 18 year old Benchmade today.

[center] [/center]

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Big fan of the Spyderco Native for EDC.

[center] [/center]

Gerber, sadly, has gone downhill in quality over the last few years. That said, I keep this one around because it’s cheap, the blades are replaceable, and if I mess it up, who cares? It was under 10 bucks.

[center] [/center]

Most major knife brands these days have two lines - great quality and not-so-great quality. Cold Steel, CRKT, Spyderco etc. So the price is going to tell you a lot. Benchmade is great and their lines are basically this: great, super great, and fancy great. Can’t go wrong there. I’m actually carrying an 18 year old Benchmade today.

[center] [/center]
[/quote]

Do you like the clips?

I know I am supposed to clip them with the clip, but they always get in the way, storing them as well as handling them.

The whole point of the Benchmade 530 for example is how thin and EDC it really is, but when you add the clip it is twice as thick.

That turns it from a tool that is just an extension of your hand into something that is just a little bit off…

[quote]orion wrote:

Do you like the clips?

I know I am supposed to clip them with the clip, but they always get in the way, storing them as well as handling them.

The whole point of the Benchmade 530 for example is how thin and EDC it really is, but when you add the clip it is twice as thick.

That turns it from a tool that is just an extension of your hand into something that is just a little bit off…[/quote]

I do like them. Hate the heavy feel in my pocket or the knife turning sideways. I’ve caught a few on seatbelts though and my favorite Emerson Karambit is currently clipless due to hitting it on a door while it was in my pocket and bending it.

Clips can differ through. Some ride high (easy to grab) and some are made to ride low (less obtrusive or visible.) You can get aftermarket clips too that are lighter and flatter.

You’re right though, they can feel odd in the hand. Another reason why I like the Native: the best grip rides forward (saber grip) and the clip isn’t as easily felt. My wife keeps hers clipped to her purse, never in pocket, so it’s a must for her uses.

I get 2.5" of blade, by law. If you’re under 18, it’s 2".

That being said, I like this knife a lot. I’ve even cut asphalt shingles with it.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

Do you like the clips?

That turns it from a tool that is just an extension of your hand into something that is just a little bit off…[/quote]

I do like them. Hate the heavy feel in my pocket or the knife turning sideways. I’ve caught a few on seatbelts though and my favorite Emerson Karambit is currently clipless due to hitting it on a door while it was in my pocket and bending it.

Clips can differ through. Some ride high (easy to grab) and some are made to ride low (less obtrusive or visible.) You can get aftermarket clips too that are lighter and flatter.

You’re right though, they can feel odd in the hand. Another reason why I like the Native: the best grip rides forward (saber grip) and the clip isn’t as easily felt. My wife keeps hers clipped to her purse, never in pocket, so it’s a must for her uses. [/quote]

Well, my jeans do have a small extra pocket right above the right pocket.

My knife slips right in there, cannot twist or turn or fall out.

Provided it has no clip.

Maybe clip preferences are a function of your pocket and purse situation?

Kershaw 1302BW Lifter Folding Knife with SpeedSafe

Had this for a while, great utility knife all around.