Good Pocket Knives

What are some good pocket knives for everyday use?

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
What are some good pocket knives for everyday use?[/quote]

Some of my knives here:

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/survivalist_gear?id=6162062&pageNo=0

They’re not so much “everyday” knives though. It really depends what you’re doing with it but the knives I use most often for everyday stuff are “Higonokami” knives. They’re hand made traditional Japanese carpenters knives and they’re very cheap and yet very good quality. There are a number of makers and well known brands. Just google and read about them. You can get them on eBay.

Another knife I use a lot for everyday stuff is a Mora. They’ve got a zero degree Scandi grind(edge) which is an extremely strong and sharp grind. It’s particularly good for cutting wood. There are a number of other similar brands of Scandis mostly made in Finland and Sweden.

http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-Pardue-Spear-Point-Knife/dp/B00DEZTKKE

That one, the non-auto version though I have that one as well.

It is very slim, you get a good grip and you can slip it into your jeans and forget that its there.

The blade has no play whatsoever and can easily be sharpened and holds a good edge.

The auto one is almost there and fun to play with but for a no nonsense EDC I would go for the Benchmade Mel Pardue 3550 (?) non auto something or other…

http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-530-Pardue-Axis/dp/B00KETOXFA

There it is…

I always take the clip off, you would need a Torx screwdriver, a T5 or T6.

Dont use them if they dont fit perfectly, you would just wear the screws out.

Yes Benchmade are good knives. Not sure a double edged combat knife is best for “everyday” use though. Spyderco is another great maker. Spyderco knives always come from the factory super-sharp.

For everyday, I carry a Kershaw 1660CKT.
For camping and those week long walks
in the woods, the Mora’s are hard to beat.
High Carbon Steel, grippy handle, and you can
literally beat the hell out of them and they
hold up. Best of all, they are only about $15.

This is my EDC knife on a student’s budget. The Spyderco Tenacious is part of the company’s economy line, but the steel is good for the price. It comes sharp and takes and is easy to sharpen. The non-treated blade is cheaper than the black one. If you can spend more, Spyderco has a great line of higher end blades.

[quote]Bismark wrote:

This is my EDC knife on a student’s budget. The Spyderco Tenacious is part of the company’s economy line, but the steel is good for the price. It comes sharp and takes and is easy to sharpen. The non-treated blade is cheaper than the black one. If you can spend more, Spyderco has a great line of higher end blades.[/quote]

Spydercos are good, I bought my mother the Ladybug.

Keychain knife really, but with a bite.

[quote]Axel44 wrote:
For everyday, I carry a Kershaw 1660CKT.
For camping and those week long walks
in the woods, the Mora’s are hard to beat.
High Carbon Steel, grippy handle, and you can
literally beat the hell out of them and they
hold up. Best of all, they are only about $15.[/quote]

I have a morakniv companion but in stainless steel and really like it.

My EDC pocket knife is a swiss army camper. Great pocket knife, very sharp, stays sharp, and it has other tools on it that get used from time to time. Something like $20 at target.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
Yes Benchmade are good knives. Not sure a double edged combat knife is best for “everyday” use though. Spyderco is another great maker. Spyderco knives always come from the factory super-sharp. [/quote]

Its not double edged and its not a “combat knife”.

Its hard to see in the pictures how slim and lightweight it really is.

Now, you could hurt somewhat with it, sure, and I want that in an EDC.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
Yes Benchmade are good knives. Not sure a double edged combat knife is best for “everyday” use though. Spyderco is another great maker. Spyderco knives always come from the factory super-sharp. [/quote]

Now, you could hurt somewhat with it, sure, and I want that in an EDC. [/quote]

Well then it’s designed to look like one. It is designed to appear to be a double edged dagger or combat knife like the Fairbaine-Sykes.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

Now, you could hurt someone with it, sure, and I want that in an EDC. [/quote]

edited:someone

Opinions on Gerber knives.

Opinions on Gerber knives.[/quote]

They’re shit, trust me. Look into some of the makers mentioned in this thread. Or if you’ve got something specific in mind describe what you want and I should be able to point you in the right direction.

They’re pretty good. What model are you looking at?

I’ve owned gerber, SOG, benchmade, S&W, buck, CKRT, spiderCO, Kershaw, and many others I can’t remember. What tasks do you plan to use the knife for? Are there any local laws that prevent you from carry a certain blade length or style?

Excellent knives - I’ve owned a couple - a skinner sheath knife and a double edged boot knife. The boot knife had a spring clip against the handle to hold it in the sheath. I don’t think Gerber makes that one any more, does any one know? or know of any other manufacturer who does?

[quote]orion wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-Pardue-Spear-Point-Knife/dp/B00DEZTKKE

That one, the non-auto version though I have that one as well.

It is very slim, you get a good grip and you can slip it into your jeans and forget that its there.

The blade has no play whatsoever and can easily be sharpened and holds a good edge.

The auto one is almost there and fun to play with but for a no nonsense EDC I would go for the Benchmade Mel Pardue 3550 (?) non auto something or other…
[/quote]

I don’t think that knife would be legal in some areas for carrying. Nice knife though.

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

I’ve owned gerber, SOG, benchmade, S&W, buck, CKRT, spiderCO, Kershaw, and many others I can’t remember. What tasks do you plan to use the knife for? Are there any local laws that prevent you from carry a certain blade length or style?
[/quote]

I am in CA so no longer than 4 inches, switchblades,
ballistic knives.

I am an Wireman Apprentice so, I have been using a cheap pocket knife for a lot of on the fly cutting. Nothing really specific the hardest material had been med thick plastic. I also work in some sketchy areas during 2nd and 3rd shifts so, added protection would be nice.

I dont knoooooooow…

Once you had a really good one…

Plus, and I might as well cram that in here, every knife I would ever buy can be opened with one hand, and fast.

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[/quote]

I am in CA so no longer than 4 inches, switchblades,
ballistic knives.

I am an Wireman Apprentice so, I have been using a cheap pocket knife for a lot of on the fly cutting. Nothing really specific the hardest material had been med thick plastic. I also work in some sketchy areas during 2nd and 3rd shifts so, added protection would be nice.
[/quote]

I wouldn’t pay over 60$ for a knife in that line of duty. You could lose it or break it fairly easily. I’d go to a knife store and ask to handle the knives. Open, closing, carrying etc. Depending on your hand size, you may like different thicknesses of handles. I’m fairly partial to kershaw knives, good quality and reasonable prices.