Good Novice Strength/Bulk Program?

I am looking for a decent program other than 5/3/1 for powerlifting. I made some good gains on 5/3/1 just want to try something else to see if I can make better improvements. I am currently trying Lilliebridge method, but I feel its for more advanced lifters than myself… I can workout 4-5 days a week.

33 year old - been into powerlifting for about 8 months or so, competed twice in 198 raw open - really want to put on a lot of strength / size over this winter…

Best meet lifts as of last month.
474 squat “more in the tank”
501 deadlift “just missed 551”
270 bench I seem to struggle getting a better bench.

If you want to actually have a go at powerlfting here are some tips:

• compete every six months at most;
  • don’t take any kind of max outside of meets except once during your peak;
  • deload regularly (every four to six weeks), and that means no more than 5x3 at 50% for each lift;
  • focusing on technique and accumulating fatigue. Weight on the bar is meaningless outside the platform. Prilepin’s chart is a good guide for how many total reps, reps per sets and number of sets;
  • outside the competition lifts train like a bodybuilder.

In answer to your question, 5th Set is one of the best systems out there. Cube is good too. Note that most good powerlifters train three to four days a week. Also note that most consistently successful powerlifters know how to rest and how to get the most results out of the least effort.

4 Likes

If that is with no background, that’s pretty great progress. I wouldn’t be jumping from what I qas doing.

I did one cycle of 5/3/1 when I started, before my first meet in April, and between then till 3 weeks ago I did like block training just a simple prilepin’s table, and kinda added some more weight as I felt like I could do… My goal is 550+ squat next year and 600+ deadlift looking for any more opinions on what I should try!

and yes no background, I started lifting in general about 1.5 years ago exactly, before I met a buddy at the gym who got me in powerlifting my numbers were like squat 225, bench, 185 and I got to 405 deadlift on my own just naturally strong back I guess… gonna check out the 5th set!

With your squat and deadlift numbers you aren’t really a novice at this point. Lilliebridge method is only really good for very advanced and larger lifters, or maybe those who have recovery issues, it’s not something I would advise you to do.

I don’t really have a pre-written program that I would recommend for you. Since you haven’t been lifting for very long I’m guessing you wouldn’t be able to write your own program, your best bet is to hire a coach.

There’s a lot of good programs out there. Conjugate method, minamilist 2 method (a personal favorite), and of course tons of linear plans. Conjugate program is a template basically and the lifts, and accessories are all based on weaknesses and you can program that stuff as you need it. M2 method is combination of conjugate and linear progression where the various lifts are programmed with variations and percentages however there is room for customizations.

There’s tons of plans only problem cookie cutter plans most likely won’t address your weaknesses unless you or a coach are able to program and customize the program. If you’re confident in doing that to a degree you can find tons of methods and movements to address weaknesses.

Hope this made sense.

I am liking the Cube, anyone have a good spreadsheet. also unsure on a few accessories as they are different in the first book vs some of the other documents online.

I know the cube and 531 variants are in an app called blackiron beast.

If I was you I would do something that involves squatting and benching at least twice a week. You didn’t mention how your 5/3/1 program was set up but a lot of people get no progress on the bench due to the standard template having you bench only once a week. The people who do well with such low bench frequency are usually benching 500+ and even then twice a week is pretty much standard.

I’m aware of some Cube variations that have you benching twice a week, add some squatting to your deadlift day and you should be good.

Either of these will work well…

Or you could not be a dick and actually buy the books so you can understand the system

I bought the 365 strong “new cube book” good stuff…

Not trying to be a natty snob, but it’s worth noting OP has a thread in AAS forums in which he mentions that he’s done multiple cycles, so calibrate accordingly.

1 Like

not denying that, however it doesn’t take away from not missing a gym day since I started, not missing a meal and literally spending 24/7 thinking about how to improve myself!

Certainly not suggesting that it does.

It is, however, a relevant piece of data in assessing your potential & progress so far, as well as giving advice on how to move forward.

understood, every time in the past that I have asked about training on gear I’ve been told to just train no different than if not on gear…