T Nation

Good New York Gyms?

Does anyone know of good gyms in the midtown and/or Murray Hill area? I just checked out the New York Sports club and it’s pretty terrible in these locations. Equinox isn’t all that great either. Need not be a chain and in fact probably would be a better gym if not. But if there’s a good chain I’m not aware of, that’d be helpful. It’s be nice to have a branch in both locations without having to pay double.

19th Street Gym in Chelsea is very good - that is - IF you are not homophobic.

Chelsea Piers is great.

Steel Gym is great.

Asphalt Green used to have a powerlifting club. Dave Tate lectured there once.

Haha, you are in Murray Hill - JAP central! You ain’t gettin’ no hardcore gyms there, homie! :slight_smile: However, the NYSC there is good. I have been there. I don’t see why you wouldn’t like it!

The Gym in midtown

http://www.thegym.com/

I loved the place, but a little pricey at $90 a month. What can you expect in NYC though?

I do think they will offer you a free session if you go in and ask though.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
19th Street Gym in Chelsea is very good - that is - IF you are not homophobic.

Chelsea Piers is great.

Steel Gym is great.

Asphalt Green used to have a powerlifting club. Dave Tate lectured there once.

Haha, you are in Murray Hill - JAP central! You ain’t gettin’ no hardcore gyms there, homie! :slight_smile: However, the NYSC there is good. I have been there. I don’t see why you wouldn’t like it![/quote]

Well, it must’ve changed since you were there. I went in today. They don’t even have a squat rack! Surprising to me. The one downtown I used to workout at when interning for the summer was solid. I ended up joining the Equinox on the corporate plan. I can workout at two locations and I’m subsidized my firm. It’s not a bad gym. Plenty of racks, a chin/dip station, and plenty of plates. The only real downside is that the dumbells only go up to 110. But I can live with it. I’m not homophobic but I’m going to be working a lot of hours and want a gym close to work and home. So, Chelsea is out. Thanks for the input, though.

[quote]napalmit wrote:
The Gym in midtown

http://www.thegym.com/

I loved the place, but a little pricey at $90 a month. What can you expect in NYC though?

I do think they will offer you a free session if you go in and ask though.[/quote]

Thanks napalmit. I’ll check into it if I’m not happy with the gym I joined.