T Nation

Good mornings neck pain

Did some good mornings today for the first time as an ME exercise and i feel like i’ve just crushed all the vertebrae in my neck!

It doesn’t put significant pressure on my neck until i reach parallel. I am holding the bar with my index fingers on the ring. I do this to maintain control on the bar and pull it into my traps but the bar slips down to my neck as i descend.

Anyone got any suggestions how to deal with this? (Other than stop being a pussy). There is a padded foam cover that i could slip on the bar but I don’t like to use it as it can turn and the bar slides out of the slot in the cover mid rep. Not good!

It sounds like you’re putting the bar too high and this is where you’re running in to trouble - try moving it down right under your traps. This should keep it from moving, and stressing your neck.

Adam
Yes i do keep the bar quite high as i rest it on my traps so i will try holding it lower down.

However I have tried this with squats and had trouble stopping the bar slipping down my back. Also i find it stresses my shoulders as i have to work to hold the bar up.

If you have trouble keeping the bar in place with a low bar position, it may suggest you have trouble maintaining extension in your erectors throughout the range of motion, most notably at the end range.

If this is the case, you may need to do some supplemental stretching of the hamstrings and glutes followed by some direct loading of the erectors and QL.

Another suggestion that may help is to try and increase the flexibility of your rib cage so that you can extend your thoracic spine more to keep the bar in place at the end of the movement.

If you’re a typical weight trained athlete, with the forward pelvis position, the latter suggestion my help most. Weighted, long-range EZ bar pullovers will help to achieve the rib cage flexibility. Snatch Squatting could increase your strength in thoracic extension.

Tough to tell for sure though, without watching you. But the above suggestion couldn’t hurt you.

I don’t think flexibility is an issue. My hamstring/glute flexibility is pretty good and my back doesn’t round out at the bottom.

By snatch squatting you mean overhead squatting with snatch grip? I do have problems with overhead’s, particularly round the shoulders. So i may give that a try and the pullovers.

I don’t think flexibility is an issue. My hamstring/glute flexibility is pretty good and my back doesn’t round out at the bottom.

By snatch squatting you mean overhead squatting with snatch grip? I do have problems with overhead’s, particularly round the shoulders. So i may give that a try and the pullovers.