T Nation

Good Morning Form

Does anyone know of a website demonstrating good morning form? I need to watch the movement, not just still pictures. I know that the knees bend. However, do they maintain a static bend, or do the knees move during the exercise? Ball State used to have a great website that demonstrated every exercise with full video. It doesn’t seem to be in existence anymore though.
Thank You

http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/exercisevideos/Standing%20Good%20Morning.mpg

This site is pretty good for exercise form.

www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBBentKneeGoodMorning.html

Go to:
http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm

i heard you are supposed to be able to do 60-70% of your squat max in a GM, so do powerlifters with 1000 pound squats actually take 700 pounds down that deep in a goodmorning? i figured the forces involved would cause some serious damage. also, my DL, Squat, and SL-DL are all pretty good, but my GM is pathetic to say the least. my posterior chain cant be that weak if i can do all the other stuff well can it? what the hell is wrong with me?

sorry for the hijack.

Thanks guys.

[quote]UB07 wrote:
i heard you are supposed to be able to do 60-70% of your squat max in a GM, so do powerlifters with 1000 pound squats actually take 700 pounds down that deep in a goodmorning? i figured the forces involved would cause some serious damage. also, my DL, Squat, and SL-DL are all pretty good, but my GM is pathetic to say the least. my posterior chain cant be that weak if i can do all the other stuff well can it? what the hell is wrong with me?

sorry for the hijack. [/quote]

That’s the problem with making general percentages like that. If you continue to gain in the squat and deadlift, I wouldn’t worry too much about it; unless you’re saying you have a 600 lb squat and a 45 lb GM. Then that’s a serious discrepency and there’s a problem.

I know Ano Turtiainen never maxes out on goodmornings because of the weight he can handle. I seem to remember him still going over 700lbs but for 3 or 5 reps instead of 1. As for GM form i try to keeps my shoulders over my feet and let my hips move backwards.

I think that the correlation between GM and squat has lot to do with individual leverages. My max GM is about 82% of my max squat. However, I have always had a stong back, but I have long legs. Hense, I am set up well for GMs, but not so well for squats. Unfortunately, the good morning does look like it will be added to the big three anytime soon:(

[quote]UB07 wrote:

sorry for the hijack. [/quote]

Yes, the knees do move. If you are pushing your ass as far back to begin the descent phase, then your knees have to move back slightly to adjust for the “ass shift”!!