T Nation

Good Money, Poor Training Situation

So I recently got a job where I work from basically 6 am to 7 pm. for 6 days a week, unless it rains. Between that, my daily commute to work and sleep, I have no time to train except for late Saturday nights and on Sundays.

The money is too good to turn down, so for the time being I am trying to make do with just lifting on the weekends. I feel my best course of action is to try to maintain my mass for now and do total body workouts consiting of as many compound lifts that I can. Is this a valid strategy or is there a better alternative? Thanks

13 hours a day, 6 days a week?

That's rough, are you on missile watch at NORAD?

With your situation, I'd have to say doing one upper body day and 1 lower body day on your weekends is just about the best option...

13 hours a day, 6 days a week?

That's rough, are you on missile watch at NORAD?

With your situation, I'd have to say doing one upper body day and 1 lower body day on your weekends is just about the best option...

Thanks for the reply. I'm driving a gravel truck for the summer and average 12 hrs/day. It's rough but it pays so well to me anyway.

Remember that set-up that Sylvester Stalone had in his truck in the movie Over the Top? (j/k)

That is rough. I think Chad Waterbury outlines a routine for people with very little time to workout, or who are in the season of their sport.

I forgot which one it was, but it's only twice a week.

You might be a candidate for HIT/Superslow......

Wouldn't sacrifice an hour of sleep in the middle of the week be much more beneficial?

I know, I know, it's tough working so much and hard, but many people find a solution anyway.

Chad trained a guy that could only workout 2 times a week, on those days he did 3 total body workouts and made great gains, try it. make sure u change the angle everytime u visit the same muscle group and your set.

You might think of Pming Dr. Darden or asking him on one of his threads. May be a perfect situation for some type of HIT for a while.

Ive never tried it but many get cultish and swear by it.

Phill

There is always a way. Obviously you need some kind of high density training approach. Is it possible to fit something in DURING work - even 10 minutes at lunch? Is the work physically demanding?

Don't look on it as a barrier to progress. ... e.g office work might mean that you have lots of time to sit around low energy activity, and recover from intense workouts.

Thanks guys for all the replies. I think I might try the HIT approach and put my time in on the weekends. The positive is the work is not physically demanding, so I will have lots of time to recover. Also, I can pack lots of food to bring with me and eat whenever I want, so that is a huge positive.