T Nation

Good MMA Book by Mark Hatmaker

i just picked up Mark Hatmaker’s most recent book, the Book of Essential Submissions. it’s a pretty good complement to his NHB series.

bascially he breaks down the most common ways to win MMA fights (over 600 UFC and Pride fights), and discusses and demonstrates the best ways to win. Good book…

EDIT: by the way, it’s not just all submission stuff, as it includes striking stuff as well…

I’ve seen Hatmaker’s book on boxing (which is a-decent.) Wrestling and subs, though… uh… how can I say it delicately. Oh well, I’d stick with Bas Ruten’s book of combat or an analysis of submissions/wrestling for MMA from someone that

1. has successfully fought in MMA, or
  2. has coached successful MMA fighters.

[quote]elnyka wrote:
I’ve seen Hatmaker’s book on boxing (which is a-decent.) Wrestling and subs, though… uh… how can I say it delicately. Oh well, I’d stick with Bas Ruten’s book of combat or an analysis of submissions/wrestling for MMA from someone that

1. has successfully fought in MMA, or
  2. has coached successful MMA fighters.[/quote]

fair enough.

i have yet to purchase Bas’s book, so i can’t comment on it.

i do like Hatmaker’s stuff, because he tends to focus on basics, and high percentage stuff. obviously martial arts are learned by doing them, but i like reading his stuff due to how he’s able to break down techniques very clearly.