Good Idea / Bad Idea?

The background - I’m training for all the usual on-field stuff: explosive acceleration and direction changes, top speed, and ups. Yesterday I ran all sorts of sprints and agility work, but was still bouncing with energy at the end of the day. Today, I was still full of energy, and somehow not sore (I guess those 200m sprints are paying off), so I went to lift. Set deadlift PR (475 lbs at just over 6 feet and 208 lbs) and hams-to-calves front squat PR (295 lbs). Tried to burn myself out with some weighted walking lunges with 185lbs, but I’m still fucking buzzing with energy.

So… I start jogging with the 185lbs on my back, then I turn the jog into a bounding exercise - very short ground contact time, driving up and forwards. And it feels awesome. (Did I mention I don’t mind looking like a weirdo, and am wearing Vibram Fivefingers?) Then, for good measure, I try it with 225 lbs. I do 2 sets of about 15~20 yards with a little over a yard per stride. Still feels awesome - calves, quads, and hammies all working hard to absorb each landing and launch me off again. I was really surprised by how much air I was able to get off of one leg.

So the question - is this a terrible, reckless idea, or perhaps a useful addition to my training? My ankles, knees, and hips all felt rock solid, no danger of buckling, and the bar was high up on my traps, pulled tight for a nice firm hold. Balance felt good too - I never felt in danger of tipping or losing the weight. Obviously I was only able to get one-legged air thanks to the elasticity of my tendons and the stretch reflex. While it will in no way supplant squats and deads for strength, it seems like it could help with explosive drive and vertical.

Or is this never done for other reasons - like the potential to shock or stress fracture the shin bones, hip socket, and spine? I’d appreciate any and all feedback. Just don’t sue me if you try this and hurt yourself.

Note - I realize my PRs aren’t impressive by PL standards. Just trying to give some context on my strength. Still got a lot of room to improve on both max and dynamic strength.

I would call this a bad idea, ESPECIALLY in a shoe that from what I understand offers as little cushioning as the Vibrams.

For high loads, cushioning = shit. I can’t imagine doing this in regular sneakers with an inch of foam squishing unpredictably underfoot. The whole idea is to land on your toes and use foot strength to absorb the impact. I’ve been wearing Vibrams for about a year and my feet didn’t hurt from the pounding at all.