Good Hip Hop Albums/Songs

…similar to…

Stuff by Mos Def, Common, Talib Kweli, The Roots, Gangstarr, Binary Star, Dilated Peoples, Nas, Outkast, Some Jay-z, etc, etc.

You may not like some of the artists, but thats the general “feel” of the music I’m looking for.

I’d appreciate naming good songs/albums by those artists or similar styles…

Consequence, MF DOOM, Gnarles Barkley, Danger Doom, Aesop Rock, Skyzoo, Saigon, Lupe Fiasco, Camp Lo, Sean P, Pharoahe Monch and that’s all you need.

Immortal Technique- Revolutionary Vol. 1 & 2.

As for the others, if you know their names you can easily find their CDs online. A little effort goes a long way.

Just picked up a Talib Kweli CD but it was his first CD, not as impressed as I thought I’d be, hopefully because it’s his earlier stuff.

To me, a good hip hop album is none at all!

[quote]NAUn wrote:
Immortal Technique- Revolutionary Vol. 1 & 2.

As for the others, if you know their names you can easily find their CDs online. A little effort goes a long way.

Just picked up a Talib Kweli CD but it was his first CD, not as impressed as I thought I’d be, hopefully because it’s his earlier stuff.[/quote]

Which CD did you pick up by Talib Kweli?

My favorites from him are Black Star, Reflection Eternal and Quality. He has a new album coming out on the 21st titled Ear Drum, which got good reviews in XXL. I wasn’t a huge fan of Beautiful Struggle, however the Sucka Free Mix CD was very good.

Also, if you enjoy Kweli and Mos Def, check out Hi-Tek’s two albums; Hi-Teknology and Hi-Teknology Vol. 2: The Chip. Both absolutely awesome albums.

Just make sure it’s NEVER played on mainstream radio, then you’ll know it’s good. Seriously. If it’s on the radio or on TV, it’s shit guaranteed.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
To me, a good hip hop album is none at all![/quote]

Good thing no one asked you.

Try pandora.com. It’s an internet radio that’s let’s you insert an artist or song and it will only play back songs similar (or at least what they think is similar) to the artist or song you selected.

Try ‘the cunninlynguists’ they make a very different and beautiful brand of hip-hop.

There is this group called Modill that I think you will really like, check 'em out on iTunes. Some other names to check out. Hezekiah, O.C., Pep Love and Hieroglyphics. Also check out Afu-Ra and MOP if you’re looking for a little more of that Brooklyn, Gang Starr vibe.

Also OneBeLo from Binary Star has a couple of solo releases that are really good. Although I don’t think the compare to Masters of the Universe, which may very well be one of the greatest hip hop albums ever.

I’m also a big fan of DJ Quik(now known as just Quik), not necessarily the sound you’re going for though. But his production is unparalleled.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
To me, a good hip hop album is none at all![/quote]

Funny, I feel that way about a good Rockscar post.

I love Dilated Peoples, Mf DOOM, Ghostface, Pharoah Monch, Gang Starr, Common, Talib Kweli … you get the hint … One of the best shows I’ve ever been to was a Jurassic 5 show … they know how to put on a good performance … great stuff … Mid-90’s Wu Tang’s the shit imo …

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
Just make sure it’s NEVER played on mainstream radio, then you’ll know it’s good. Seriously. If it’s on the radio or on TV, it’s shit guaranteed.[/quote]

That’s not necessarily true. I agree that in most cases it’s true, but you can’t guarantee something like that.

I’ve heard quite a few songs get popular and lots of airplay that are good. Kweli himself had two big hits off of his Quality album that got lots of airplay on BET and a good bit of airplay on the radio.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Little Brother is good, too.

As crappy as rap is musically, I like some of TI’s stuff. I’ve played “You Know What It Is” multiple times in the last few days.

[quote]texasguy1 wrote:
As crappy as rap is musically, I like some of TI’s stuff. I’ve played “You Know What It Is” multiple times in the last few days. [/quote]

This coming from a guy who loves 80’s music.

[quote]Malevolence wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
To me, a good hip hop album is none at all!

Funny, I feel that way about a good Rockscar post.

[/quote]

Ouch. Funny, but that’s gonna leave a mark.

I went to Rock The Bells on Sunday. It was pretty much crazy.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
texasguy1 wrote:
As crappy as rap is musically, I like some of TI’s stuff. I’ve played “You Know What It Is” multiple times in the last few days.

This coming from a guy who loves 80’s music.[/quote]

Van Halen would dance circles around any rapper in the musical knowledge arena. So would Aerosmith, Guns n Roses, The Scorpions etc.

80’s electronica was made with out as much technology as rappers have now too, meaning the artists had to come up with the songs and then have them sound weird through sythesizers.

Rappers pretty much buy prepackaged beats and then mumble shitty poems over them.

Well you’re comparing 80’s bands to current rappers. Why not compare 80’s bands to 80’s rappers?

Or compare 80’s bands to current bands. If you did that, you’d be saying the same thing you’re saying about rappers.

Hmm Lessee Lessee

A Tribe Called Quest- The Low End Theory
Black Star- Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star
Mos Def- Black on Both Sides and True Magic (don’t bother with The New Danger)
Nas- Illmatic, Hip Hop is Dead, Stillmatic (in that order0
People Under The Stairs- The Next Step, these guys make the best underground rap, “San Fransisco Knights” is so good.
The Roots- Phrenology
Sage Francis- A Healthy Distrust, Human the Death Dance, Personal Journals (in that order)
Tupac- Rap Phenomenon 2, old tapes of Tupac over beats made by more current artists.
Wycelf Jean- The Carnival

Those are ones I own, check out allmusic.com for ratings.