T Nation

Good Gyms in Chicago?

Does anyone know of any good private gyms in Chicago?

I have been training at Quads for almost two years, and I'm getting burned out. The owner is a hoarder, so there's very little room to move around anymore. I'm looking for a more spacious facility conducive to athletic performance, bodybuilding, PLing, etc. I.e. handful of squat racks, a few platforms, chains, conditioning equipment, etc.

Can’t help on this end, but curious as to (a) how training’s going and (b) what you’re training for these days–physique competition or just as a hobby at this point?

B&W.

Contact me at the email in my hub and I’ll give you a free guest pass.

There’s a ton of commercial gyms in the area: LPAC, LVAC, FFC, XSport, a couple LA Fitness…

I will be down in chicago in June

I’ll give you a guest pass, too.

Anybody else?

Are guest passes that special? Don’t most gyms offer them on their sites? Heck, I walked up to a Powerhouse and just asked if I could try it out for a few days.

Or does it include a physical by the good doctor?

Dennis (the owner) isn’t running a charity over here. You want to get strong, you pay the $10.

No physical, but I’d join you for a burger and a beer afterwards if you wanted. Let’s see where the night takes us from there.

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:
Can’t help on this end, but curious as to (a) how training’s going and (b) what you’re training for these days–physique competition or just as a hobby at this point?[/quote]

No more physique competitions. Still pretty disciplined with dieting and training though. I actually just recently started a new program focusing on what I call a re-set. It focuses primarily on rebuilding efficiency in movement patterns and improving mobility. Tons of focus on core and glutes. It’s definitely the least sexy program I’ve done in years, but all towards a goal of being able to perform an overhead squat.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
B&W.

Contact me at the email in my hub and I’ll give you a free guest pass.

There’s a ton of commercial gyms in the area: LPAC, LVAC, FFC, XSport, a couple LA Fitness…
[/quote]

Thanks alot. I checked it out and it looks like what I had in mind. I’ll email you when I’m thinking of stopping by.

East Bank Club (EBC) hands down.

[quote]lesch@Biotest wrote:
East Bank Club (EBC) hands down.[/quote]

The talent at the pool is outstanding. I could do without the $185/mo membership dues, though.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

Can’t help on this end, but curious as to (a) how training’s going and (b) what you’re training for these days–physique competition or just as a hobby at this point?[/quote]

No more physique competitions. Still pretty disciplined with dieting and training though. I actually just recently started a new program focusing on what I call a re-set. It focuses primarily on rebuilding efficiency in movement patterns and improving mobility. Tons of focus on core and glutes. It’s definitely the least sexy program I’ve done in years, but all towards a goal of being able to perform an overhead squat. [/quote]

links to program please?

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

No more physique competitions. Still pretty disciplined with dieting and training though. I actually just recently started a new program focusing on what I call a re-set. It focuses primarily on rebuilding efficiency in movement patterns and improving mobility. Tons of focus on core and glutes. It’s definitely the least sexy program I’ve done in years, but all towards a goal of being able to perform an overhead squat. [/quote]

links to program please?[/quote]

Unfortunately, I don’t have one. I have a friend who works in the fitness consulting industry and his company often designs training and dieting programs for new fitness businesses. He passed one along to me that suited my current goals mentioned above. I’m happy to post a sample cycle if you’re curious, but it’d be pretty daunting to post all 12.

Update: I found a winner. Conviction Fitness. I’ve been looking to move to that area anyway, as it’s quite nice, and lends itself to easier commuting around Chicago.

It looks terrific. You’ll like Lincoln Square, it’s a great neighborhood. Getting up and down Western though can be a bear sometimes.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

links to program please?[/quote]

Unfortunately, I don’t have one. I have a friend who works in the fitness consulting industry and his company often designs training and dieting programs for new fitness businesses. He passed one along to me that suited my current goals mentioned above. I’m happy to post a sample cycle if you’re curious, but it’d be pretty daunting to post all 12. [/quote]

ah ok, yeah mate if you don’t mind posting a little sample I’d appreciate it.

Warmup - Lower

Five mins of full body foam rolling
Two minutes per side Super Couch Stretch
One minute per side Pigeon Stretch
One minute per side Lat and Tricep Stretch
Two minutes Deep Squat Wall Stretch

10 reps per side Side Lying Clam
10 reps per side Hand Crossovers
10 reps Supine Bridge
10 reps each way X Band Walks

Warmup - Upper

One minute per side Super Couch Stretch
One minute Deep Squat Wall Stretch
One minute per side Scalene and Upper Trap Lax Ball mobs
One minute per side Pec Mob with Lax Ball
10 reps Wall Slides
10 reps Band Pull Aparts
10 reps Banded No Moneys

I’m on the first phase right now so a sample lower body workout would be

A1 Goblet Squat: EDT-10 Mins@3 reps EDT-10 Mins@5 reps EDT-10 Mins@3 reps EDT-10 Mins@5 reps
***Escalating Density Training: Self-paced sets for straight block of ten minutes, as many sets as possible of either 3 or 5 reps with the same weight each workout.

B1 Goblet Split Squat: 4x5 5x5 6x5 6x5
B2 Goblet Lateral Lunge: 4x5 5x5 6x5 6x5
B3 Plate Squat: 4x3 5x3 6x3 6x3

C1 Dead Bug: 4x20seconds
C2 Side Plank: 4x20seconds

Sample upper body

A1 Pullup 4x5, 1xAMAP

B1 Chest Supported Row 4x8 5x8 5x8 5x8
B2 Wall Slides 4x8 5x8 5x8 5x8

C1 Standing Split Stance Cable Row 2x10 3x10 3x10 3x10
C2 Standing Split Stance Cable Press 2x10 3x10 3x10 3x10

D1 Pallof Press Iso 4x20 seconds per side
D2 Brady Band Series 4x10
D3 Face Pull 4x10

E1 Neutral Grip Rope Cable Curl 10/8/6/8/10
E2 Palms Down Tricep Extension 10/8/6/8/10

…like I said, not very sexy :confused:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Warmup - Lower

10 reps Supine Bridge

Warmup - Upper

10 reps Wall Slides
10 reps Band Pull Aparts
10 reps Banded No Moneys

A1 Goblet Squat: EDT-10 Mins@3 reps EDT-10 Mins@5 reps EDT-10 Mins@3 reps EDT-10 Mins@5 reps
***Escalating Density Training: Self-paced sets for straight block of ten minutes, as many sets as possible of either 3 or 5 reps with the same weight each workout.

Sample upper body

A1 Pullup 4x5, 1xAMAP

D3 Face Pull 4x10

…like I said, not very sexy :/[/quote]

Wait, you are doing all this silly shit just to perform on OH squat? Oh my…

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Warmup - Lower

10 reps Supine Bridge

Warmup - Upper

10 reps Wall Slides
10 reps Band Pull Aparts
10 reps Banded No Moneys

Sample upper body

A1 Pullup 4x5, 1xAMAP

D3 Face Pull 4x10

…like I said, not very sexy :/[/quote]

egad, that looks fucking horrible.

I’ll be interested to hear how you get on with it, though. Report back when it’s done if you don’t mind.

Last fall I was shuffling around like a skinny Quasimoto. Terrible mobility, awful movement patterns, just garbage. The gym was so frustrating I was thinking about moving on to yoga or something.

I did some T-Nation research and spent 3-4 weeks on a similar routine. It wasn’ t much fun, but I was like a new man afterward. And rediculously I gained almost 10 pounds! Doing “easy” moves with no or almost no weight, but through a proper ROM was much better than struggling through a messed up “real” lift.

After the boring routine, I was ready for some real lifting! Since then, I’ve been making steady progress again.

Better mobilty, quality movement patterns and rolling into a new gym sounds like a recipe for GAINZ.