Good gym in London? (For you Londoners)

Shitty bars seem to be a common theme in most London gyms :wink:

[quote]BiP wrote:
Shitty bars seem to be a common theme in most London gyms ;)[/quote]

LOL - definitely.

I have actually used a super cheap cardio bunny gym a few recently and they have a really great bar in there excellent knurling and good strength. It almost brings tears to my eyes to see the 140lb kids “shrugging” 200kg+ and just literally throwing it down onto the rack.

I recommend Muscleworks too, mate. Bethnal Green Station is the closest tube. Probably the highest ratio of serious Bodybuilder’s per square inch of any gym i’ve trained in. Inspiring stuff.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]Multiple Moods wrote:
Terrible suggestions so far-
Have a look at these op,the weightlifting club in Bethnal Green is close to where you will be staying and the Genesis gym is across town but might be worth the trek a few times a week depending on your free time.

http://www.bgweightlifting.com/[/quote]

LOL at “terrible” suggestions. Muscleworks is just as good as Genesis (i used to train there for years), and Bethnal Green WL club has about 10% of the equipment of Muscleworks.

Also, Genesis is the other side of London you idiot, unless OP has 2 hours to travel there and 2 hours back 3-5 nights a week??? It is nowhere near a train station, and very difficult to travel from OP via public transport at all. [/quote]

I did include the phrases across town and depending on free time in my original post-you really need the meaning of those explained to you?
Also the op asked about gyms,he did not specify proximity to train stations etc.
I know plenty of people in London/London area that spend 3 hours per day travelling on tube,trains etc.
AS for your childish name calling-keep it,it says a lot about you.

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:
Yeap. Jubille Hall is one of my fav London gyms. Trained there a few times when I crash in London. Great atmosphere. It’s got practically anything you need for a crazy serious workout. Trainers look like they pump iron on the regular. Busy time in the evening, from 5pm till closing time, I’ve noticed.

It’d be cool if they had a deadlift platform though.

I love the place. Most of the guys there are gays so no one come pester me while I train or gawk at my big boobs and my guns. Awesome.[/quote]

Although I wouldn’t go to that place, perving on you would be ideal to pass the time between sets.

However I am well aware of your tendency to peg men with large objects up the rear so I’d keep it under the radar. :wink:

Also, no gym is a good gym unless it has;

• Decent barbells that are not as smooth as a baby’s arse
  • Bumper plates
  • Lifting platform or two
  • 2 or more squat racks
  • Allows chalk
  • No constant loud music of any genre, radio stations I dont mind but seriously playing Disturbed, Linkin Park or any other genre/artists just grates after the first session

-Last but not least, a few hot Amazonian women who like to wrestle in their spare time be they British or American

Got a 3 month membership for Muscleworks.

Dumbbells are a little bit of a clusterfuck. Plus it’s gonna take some use getting use to KGs.

I liked just walking in and paying cash.

It’s about a 30min walk each way which isnt too bad.

Thanks for the help!

[quote]HotShot818 wrote:
Got a 3 month membership for Muscleworks.

Dumbbells are a little bit of a clusterfuck. Plus it’s gonna take some use getting use to KGs.

I liked just walking in and paying cash.

It’s about a 30min walk each way which isnt too bad.

Thanks for the help![/quote]

You’ll probably end up using pounds and kg for different things like I did (although I was coming from using kg).

Enjoy London!

Well done OP.

Shame MuscleWorks don’t allow women to train in the gym. Was my numero uno London gym to check out.

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:
Well done OP.

Shame MuscleWorks don’t allow women to train in the gym. Was my numero uno London gym to check out. [/quote]

If you turn up and ask they will let you, particularly during the day. Best bet would be to turn up and ask to train the following day/ that week. Cost is £5.

Although it is pretty rare, they do have photo shoots in there for female fitness models while everyone else just trains around them.

There are no female changing facilities though. Best best imo would be any week day until 5pm and/or weekend. After 5pm on a weekday the place is completely rammed.

If you can make it to Genesis you should try it out. Probably better than MW, but not that well known. Women (mostly OL) do train there although is still 95% male.

Yeah as above ^

There’s been women in there at least twice when i’ve been training. Quality ‘rule’. One of the main reasons I joined! No distractions!