T Nation

Good Gym in Champaign, IL?

I just took a job in Champaign, IL and I have absolutely no idea where a good gym is. I was hoping my fellow T-Nation Ironheads could give me some suggestions. I’d love to finally have access to a prowler, proper deadlift platforms, power cages, chains, bands, etc. But a few calls and some googling in the area hasn’t turned up anything better than a re-branded Gold’s.

UIUC has a couple of nice gyms, from what I remember if you know a student you can get a pass there.

Unfortunately I don’t know any students out there. To this date the best gyms I’ve used were University Gyms.

Your search is over.

other than U of I, I really can’t think of anything. Take a second job there and use their gyms!

Damn - that golds was my favorite gym on the planet - used to have great workouts there when visiting my wife’s family. I’m bummed to hear it closed. If someone is still operating it, the equipment was great. Platforms and 150 lb dumbbells - I’d definitely check to see if it’s still there - does not matter that it’s not a golds if the equipment is still there -

try this?

www.crossfitcu.com/

they have an open gym period. Don’t know about chains and all that.

I ended up joining a former golds gym called TrulyFit. Its in Urbana and incredibly lifter friendly. It’s not stacked with equipment but its a good place to workout and what I settled on.

[quote]maccd87 wrote:
Unfortunately I don’t know any students out there. To this date the best gyms I’ve used were University Gyms.[/quote]

I went to a private university and they allowed the public to sign up for gym memberships.

Maybe just try asking?