T Nation

Good German Movies?


#1

HAI GUISE,

I've been learning German for a while now, and after finally reaching a point where I can kinda/maybe/sorta understand the language, I started watching German movies and here is what I've seen so far

Lola rennt - pretty good and easy to watch
Wir sind die Nacht - kinda lame, though more then I expected from a vampire movie
Die Welle - good movie, albeit the ending was a bit preachy
So weit die Fusse tragen - interesting story, the lead actor wasn't that good and they drew on some American cliches
Die Wolke - also pretty cliche, lost midway between teen-romance and s disaster-movie

(Before that I watched American films with German dubbing to make it easier, cause I already knew the plot. But German sounds so much better and more natural in actual German movies, and I kinda fell in love with German slang)

So, bitte... To all of you native German speakers, and all who appreciate German language and cinema - what movie (or a cartoon or a TV show) would you recommend, providing it's German and it doesn't suck?


#2

.


#3

[quote]MaliMedved wrote:
HAI GUISE,

I’ve been learning German for a while now, and after finally reaching a point where I can kinda/maybe/sorta understand the language, I started watching German movies and here is what I’ve seen so far

Lola rennt - pretty good and easy to watch
Wir sind die Nacht - kinda lame, though more then I expected from a vampire movie
Die Welle - good movie, albeit the ending was a bit preachy
So weit die Fusse tragen - interesting story, the lead actor wasn’t that good and they drew on some American cliches
Die Wolke - also pretty cliche, lost midway between teen-romance and s disaster-movie
[/quote]
Try “The lives of the others” (“Das Leben der Anderen”).

I thought that one was alright. Then again, I’m not sure how familiar you are with the whole east/west thing and the Stasi.

Another one (I forgot the name, sorry) was about a guy who pulls all kinds of weird stunts to keep his elderly mother(or grandmother? Don’t remember) from realizing that the reunification happened and the DDR is basically gone.

Maybe fattyfat knows which movie I’m talking about…

Guess you’re the opposite of me then. I prefer English over German…

[quote]

So, bitte… To all of you native German speakers, and all who appreciate German language and cinema - what movie (or a cartoon or a TV show) would you recommend, providing it’s German and it doesn’t suck?[/quote]

Finding German movies or shows that don’t suck is tricky business if you ask me.
Seems like most of them are about one or two of the following:

-Teen drama / wanna-be artsy stuff that’s basically all the same.

-About the DDR etc (some of those are alright, like the ones I mentioned)… That bit of recent German history is like a zombie horse with it’s limbs hacked off. It won’t die no matter what.

-Incredibly pedestrian movies about local crime. But this is not the U.S., so crime isn’t all that interesting…

-A TV series rather than a movie, and I can’t think of a single German series that isn’t utterly painful to watch. Talk shows too.

Oh wait, there is the German remake of “the office”:

“Stromberg”

Try that one, too… I guess that qualifies as a decent series.


#4

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

Try “The lives of the others” (“Das Leben der Anderen”).

I thought that one was alright. Then again, I’m not sure how familiar you are with the whole east/west thing and the Stasi.

Another one (I forgot the name, sorry) was about a guy who pulls all kinds of weird stunts to keep his elderly mother(or grandmother? Don’t remember) from realizing that the reunification happened and the DDR is basically gone.

Maybe fattyfat knows which movie I’m talking about…
[/quote]

Thanks for ‘Das Leben der Anderen’, I’ll check it out.

And the other one is probably ‘Goodbye Lenin’. I’ve seen it subtitled a few years back. It’s alright, and it got me pretty interested cause something similar happened with the country I was born in - Yugoslavia.

Btw, Rammstein is popular around here too.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

Finding German movies or shows that don’t suck is tricky business if you ask me.
Seems like most of them are about one or two of the following:

-Teen drama / wanna-be artsy stuff that’s basically all the same.

-About the DDR etc (some of those are alright, like the ones I mentioned)… That bit of recent German history is like a zombie horse with it’s limbs hacked off. It won’t die no matter what.

-Incredibly pedestrian movies about local crime. But this is not the U.S., so crime isn’t all that interesting…

-A TV series rather than a movie, and I can’t think of a single German series that isn’t utterly painful to watch. Talk shows too.

Oh wait, there is the German remake of “the office”:

“Stromberg”

Try that one, too… I guess that qualifies as a decent series.
[/quote]

Will look it up, thanks.


#5

The Occult History of the Third Reich


#6

Der Untergang has some great reviews, it might be worth checking out.


#7

I’m surprised Das Boot hasn’t been mentioned. It’s a classic.

If you like horror, try Tattoo: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286204/


#8

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

Another one (I forgot the name, sorry) was about a guy who pulls all kinds of weird stunts to keep his elderly mother(or grandmother? Don’t remember) from realizing that the reunification happened and the DDR is basically gone.

Maybe fattyfat knows which movie I’m talking about…

[/quote]

goodbye lenin

i cant think of any mindblowing german movie i have watched lately.

auf der anderen seite
gegen die wand
knockin on heavens door
das boot
das experiment

those are all i can think of right now


#9

[quote]Cal Jones wrote:
I’m surprised Das Boot hasn’t been mentioned. It’s a classic.
[/quote]

Best submarine movie EVA!


#10

Anything by germangoogirls.


#11

Another one (I forgot the name, sorry) was about a guy who pulls all kinds of weird stunts to keep his elderly mother(or grandmother? Don’t remember) from realizing that the reunification happened and the DDR is basically gone.

its called ‘Marx und Coca Cola’. and its pretty good. :slight_smile:


#12

Seasons 1-11 of Baywatch… all the Hoff you can handle


#13

Try Die Blechtrommel (the Tin Drum), Volker Schlondorff"s 1978 adaptation of Gunter Grass’ novel

Also, Leni Riefenstall’s classic Triumph Des Willen is worth a look

You might also loke Der Blaue Angel from the late 30s. (Marlene Dietrich)


#14

A quick search through my rated movies in Netflix revealed these.

The Tunnel - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251447/
Downfall - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363163/
Stalingrad - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108211/
Sophie Scholl - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426578/
Gloomy Sunday - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0155722/
Run Lola Run - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0155722/
A Woman in Berlin - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1035730/
Europa Europa
The Edukators - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408777/
Rotation - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041826/
As Far as my feet will carry me - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0277327/

I thought they were all good movies.

james


#15

Not that Im a native speaker or even fluent any more but Der Krieger und die Kaiserin (the princess and the warrior) is a quirky film well worth watching


#16

My grandfather always loved the German version of “Im Westen nichts Neues” (aka “All Quiet on the Western Front” or I guess literally “All Quiet in the West”) because he fought for Germany in WWI (ironic now, I know, but hardly uncommon then).

Looking on the internet, it looks like this may have orginally been an American movie of a German book that was dubbed back into the original German.

It’s an early 1930s movie.


#17

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Anything by germangoogirls.[/quote]

I actually looked it up LOL.
Now there’s a way to make learning a foreign language interesting.


#18

Thanks everybody, your suggestions are much appreciated.

I remember Der Untergang being really really good, so I’ll re-watch it soon, and I started Das Boot today, looks awesome.

Any cartoons maybe? Something you used to like as kids?


#19

definitely check the lives of others. one of my favourite films.


#20

Raumpatrouille Orion
German Startrek (black and white, 60s). Campy and fun.

Das Millionenspiel
trailer


similar to Running Man, but from 1970. Great film.

Kebab Connection
2005, goofy comedy that deals with the usual turkish-german culture clash & clichee. But ok, sonsidering I hate funny 99% films.

Peng! Du bist tot!
1987, surprisingly entertaining flic that is part comedy, part thriller, taking place in the hacker scene of the early eighties. Some superoutdated computer stuff here, still worthy.

Schtonk
1983
Good movie about the biggest german media incident of the same year

Lasko


a very recent show about a fist-fighting monk from the ancient order Pugnus Dei. Even though the actual brawling scened were nice, it universally panned by critics.

Anything from Jelinski und Buttgereit :wink: