Good Football Program?

im just ending my football season and i have 2 more left in highschool id like to start for varisty both years at the postion of fullback, right now im 15 years old 5’7 175 pounds. ive been given this program from a s/c coach of a highschool i wanted to run it throw you guys because i know there are so people here who realy know what there talking about
here it is:

Powerclean
week 1:60% 5x3
Week 2:70% 4x3
Week 3:80% 3x3
Week 4:60% 5x3
Week 5: 90% 1-3x1-3

Squat
Week 1: 50% 3x10
Week 2: 5-10 lbs more than last week
Week 3: 5-10 lbs more than last week
Week 4: 65% 3x8
Week 5: 65% 3x8
Week 6: 65% 3x8
week 7: 80% 3x5
Week 8: 80% 3x5
week 9: 80% 3x5
week 10: 90% 3x3
Week 11: 90% 3x3
Week 12: 90% 3x3

Deadlift
Week 1: 50% 3x10
Week 2: 5-10 lbs more than last week
Week 3: 5-10 lbs more than last week
Week 4: 65% 3x8
Week 5: 65% 3x8
Week 6: 65% 3x8
week 7: 80% 3x5
Week 8: 80% 3x5
week 9: 80% 3x5
week 10: 90% 3x3
Week 11: 90% 3x3
Week 12: 90% 3x3

Bench
Week 1: 45% 8x3
Week 2: 50% 7x3
Week 3: 55% 6x3
Week 4: 60% 5x3
Week 5: 65% 4x3
Week 6: 70% 3x3
Week 7: 75% 2x3
WEek 8: 80% 1x3

Heres the program

Monday:
PC: cycle
SQ: cycle
GHR:3x10
lunges:3x10
High pulls:up to a hard but fast single,
abs.

Tuesday:
BP:Cycle
Throat Crushers: 5x10
overhead db tricep ext: 5x20
side raises: 5x10
hammer curls: 5x10
abs.

Thursday:
DL:cycle
Front Squats: 3x10
GHR: 3x20
Close grip bp:3x10
overhead barbell ext: 5x10
pushdowns: 5x20
plate raises:3x10
reverse curls:5x10
abs.

what do you all think about this i persanly feel there isn’t enough explosive lifts, but im no expert is there some other program you could give me

thanks

You need to hit the upper back and posterior shoulder much more. The back side of the torso is very important for shoulder stability.

how whould i be able to do more upper back work what exerises should i do and when in my program should i do them
thanks

the program that the coach gave you is classical linear periodization. at you age and skill level you will see good gains from it but my advice to is to do joe defrancos westside for skinny bastards. this will hit your whole body, put some muscle mass on you, make you stronger and FASTER. i highly recommend it as the program you have does not train your whole body. you miss alot of shoulder and upper back stuff that will increase the chance of injury down the road. good luck

After each set of bench or overhead press do a set of rows for bench and a set of pulldowns or chins for overhead press. 1 day a week do 3 sets of dumbbell rear shoulder raise. On the 2 day of upper body do 3 sets of 10 dumbbell external rotation.

Squeeze the living shit out of the bar, no matter how or what you lift. This will strengthen and protect your hands AND make it harder for those elusive running backs to escape your wicked grasp (evil laughter follows…:slight_smile:
Westside requires a lot of esoteric equipment, like sleds, chains, and a tractor-trailer tire to flip. Great program if you have access to this kind of equipment.
I’d also put Farmer’s Walks in there somewhere, for your shoulders and traps.

yeah ive been looking over westside for skinny bastard but i dont really understand some of it.
im not sure about what exerices i should choose and how often i should switch them, it seems to be a little to hard to understand for me maybe if i read it over a couple more times it will make more sence
i was looking at the 2nd one witch at the speed training in it and it seemed interesting and im hoping that ill be able to understand it and use it this season
like i said im just not sure witch exercises to pick for each day and how to when to swtich them
also would it be ok to and another day for lower body and some expolosive lifts?

There are at least two threads going with WSFSB questions and Joe Defranco answers questions on his website which you should check out just to see some of the impresive players he has trained and he also answers questions on elitefts.com

Also check out this article that was sent out as part of the elitefts.com newsletter

Greetings!
Welcome to The EliteFTS Roundtable Discussion article. This Free article is sent out on a monthly basis only to EFS newsletter subscribers. Kick back and enjoy this months article, which is about the top 5 lifts for football players.

Top 5 lifts for Football:
EliteFTS Roundtable Discussion

We gathered some of our EFS staff members and several others to discuss the 5 top lifts for football players. We put them all in a lineup and they were identified as such:

Sal Alosi
Jim Wendler
Rob Lowe
Mark ?JackAss? Bell
James Smith
C.J. Murphy
Mark McLaughlin
Dave Tate

All have experience training football players and all have some different ideas. We edited out some of the banter and the cussing to get to the meat of the discussion. If you are a football coach or a strength coach for football, check this out. It may give you some ideas.

Dave Tate: Let?s do this. What do you think are the five most important lifts for a football player?

Rob Lowe: I’m going to cheat here and pick 5 categories of important exercises:

Multi-hip: squat; deadlift; split squats
Posterior Chain: glute-ham; semi-straight and straight leg deadlifts
Push: Bench with multiple grips; DB Bench
Pull: Chins, Pulls and Rows
Prehab-Rehab: shoulder, neck, grip
If I had to pick 5 big exercises:

Squat
Deadlift
Glute-Ham
Bench
Chins

JackAss: That is a solid group so I’d have to agree.

With the 5 you listed there are hundreds of variations.

Sal Alosi: I will also agree:

Squat Variation
Posterior Chain Variation
Horizontal Push Variation
Horizontal/Vertical Pull Variation
Prehab/Rehab- Shoulder-Grip-Neck-Core
Yes, I cheated on #5

Jim Wendler: I’m going to steal something from Dave on this one:

Top 3 exercises would be:

Squat
Bench
Deadlift

Now you can choose 3-5 exercises that help build these three. For example:

Squat

Lunges
Glute Ham Raises
Back Raises
Various Abdominal Work
Bench

DB Bench
DB Incline Bench
Incline Press
Chins
Rows
Deadlift

(Same exercises as the squat)
OK, so now on each variation, there can be other variations. But as a coach, I don’t want to have to teach someone a new lift everyday. You can have a lot of variables within a certain lift, but again, I don’t think you need to overcomplicate things. Remember that athletes don’t want to be strength coaches nor do they care to know too much about it. When you get you are having a problem with your computer, do you want them to tell you exactly what is going on and all of the intricacies? Or do you just want them to fix the problem? See my point?

C.J. Murphy: I like to do other stuff for athletes, all in the right point in the program, I’d break it down to traditional and non traditional.

Traditional exercises would consist of:

Squats

Pulls (DL)

Pressing

Posterior chain (glute ham raises, reverse hyperextensions, keystone deadlifts (similar to Romanian deadlifts, etc.)

Rows

Non traditional exercises:

Atlas stones

Tire flipping

Weighted walking (farmers, wheel barrow, super yoke)

Log pressing

Sled work (dragging, sprinting, arm over arm, etc)

Gym lifts are the foundation, events are fun. Fun is cool. So is dip and iced coffee. Too bad dip, iced coffee, and Guinness won’t get me strong and jacked; I’d be the best athlete in the world.

Mark McLaughlin: Jim is correct, keep it simple. If the athlete asks you what time it is don’t tell him how the watch was built tell him and time and be done with it.

Top 5 exercises:

Box squats
Bench press
Dead lifts
Reverse Hypers
GHR

For younger athletes keep it simple and fun. Currently we are having a GHR contest over 3 weeks for Frosh/Soph/JR who are new to the movement. After 3 weeks we are going to see who can do the most correctly executed GHR over 3 sets. The winner is going to get a “Dark side” T-shirt.

James Smith: I am going to go against the grain with some of the thoughts presented on this one.

Jim Wendler: That?s no surprise.

James Smith: I create an environment with my athletes which covers the fundamentals of PASM:

Physical
Psychological
Tactical
Technical

The preparation of these components is key.

I believe that within the context of GPP that tactical and technical mastery is highly dependent upon the athletes? awareness in the weight room or wherever else general/non-specific training occurs. So as you can see here I believe there is great significance in a derivative of PASM that must be directed towards GPP. This may be considered in terms of two PASMs being developed concurrently; one towards sport, and the other towards GPP methodics.

Of course the two are mutually dependent to a degree, but I feel that coaches (who know what they are talking about) owe it to the athletes to educate them. This, in my view, MUST be done for the singular fact that too many coaches out there don?t know and I want my athletes to gain the awareness so as to possess the capacity to ‘know what time it is’ when the time comes that they are under the tutelage of an idiot.

Every workout I take about 3-5 minutes at the end and discuss certain aspects of the workout and the significance of certain methodics. I keep it short and to the point and am sure to impress the concept of transference to sport and why the athletes should consider the information highly valuable. I make it clear that I am not trying to create a team of strength coaches; but rather, a collective of young athletes who has the growing awareness that will render them more ‘prepared’ for the years to come.

I also stress that the athletes take time throughout the day and become more aware of their physiological ‘state’. The more in tune with their organism they become, the more they are able to assist me in individualizing their training for the day. This is a highly effective means and one which enables me to manage 55 athletes by myself in a way that I feel solid about.

We must never forget that a young and motivated athlete is much more receptive and open minded towards any ideas that will serve to facilitate their development than an egotistical, self serving, insecure, ignorant coach who would rather argue than admit that he/she has been doing it wrong all these years.

nhiron, how do you sign up for the efts newsletter?

Just go here

http://www.elitefts.com/newsletter-infosheet.htm