Good Economics Book?

[quote]MrChill wrote:
Havent had time to see if he wrote books, but the name of Milton Friedman sure put stars in my econ profs eyes.[/quote]

You are kidding, right? The guy won the nobel price and is one of the most important names in new economics. Never heard of “Chicago School”???

[quote]hotsauce wrote:
MrChill wrote:
Havent had time to see if he wrote books, but the name of Milton Friedman sure put stars in my econ profs eyes.

You are kidding, right? The guy won the nobel price and is one of the most important names in new economics. Never heard of “Chicago School”???
[/quote]

Half-joking. Even though our macroeconomics course never mentionned Mr. Friedman, our prof. was the type to always give us tons of outside-of-the-book info, and dropped Mr. Friedman`s name every now and then. I see a Friedman article once in a while in the business section of the newspaper and I have always agreed with the man so far.

[quote]MrChill wrote:
Armchair Economist: Economics And Everyday Experience – Steven Landsburg.

From Library Journal
Landsburg (economics, Univ. of Rochester) demonstrates the economist’s way of thinking about everyday occurrences. The result is a compilation of questions ranging from why popcorn costs so much at movie theaters and why rock concerts sell out to why laws against polygamy are detrimental to women. Many of the issues raised are controversial and even somewhat humorous, but they are clearly explained only from an economic perspective as opposed to other dynamics of human behavior. There are also clear explanations of the misconceptions about unemployment rates, measures of inflation, and interest rates. The book is not a textbook but shows how one economist solves puzzling questions that occur in daily living. Recommended for general collections.
[/quote]

I read this book after Freakomics sparked my interest in Economics. I have never taken a eco class in college but it was fairly easy to understand and entertaining. There is a very interesting essay entitled “Why I am not an Environmentalist” that gives an argument based on economics for why recycling does nothing to better the environment.

I also plan on reading “Hidden Order: The Economics of Everyday Life” by David Friedman within the next few weeks. It looks fairly promising.

Grew7: Thank you for the link. I will definitely be reading through that. Is that the entire book or abridged?

Well, it doesn’t say that it is abridged and I haven’t seen a real copy, so I have no idea how long it should be. I thought it was the whole thing, but I really don’t have a clue.