T Nation

Good Economics Book?

Would anyone mind reccommending one? I haven't ever taken an economics course and can't right now, I'd still like a basic understanding of economics, though. I'd really appreciate the help.

when supply is low and demand is high prices are increased and vice versa.

there's that's all you need to know, well maybe all I learned in 2 semesters worth.

basic economcis by thomas sowell

"Economics in One Lesson: The Shortest and Surest Way to Understand Basic Economics"
Henry Hazlitt

Haven't read it yet, but I hear very good things.

let me bump this thread :slight_smile:

I have a few economic courses to take next year and I'd like to prepare over the summer with some 'shortcut' books. I'll look into the reccomendations already posted

any body else have some input?

Everybody just tells me to get my calculus up to speed and have a decent handle on statistics and I'll be fine.

Thats what I'm working on now (outside of my regular class work)

Seconded. I read this book when I was in high school and it seriously changed the way I view markets, the government, and society overall. My continual study of economics ever since has only solidified the simplistic principles taught in this book.

To the others who have not read it yet, here it is:

http://jim.com/econ/contents.html

sweet

Armchair Economist: Economics And Everyday Experience -- Steven Landsburg.

From Library Journal
Landsburg (economics, Univ. of Rochester) demonstrates the economist's way of thinking about everyday occurrences. The result is a compilation of questions ranging from why popcorn costs so much at movie theaters and why rock concerts sell out to why laws against polygamy are detrimental to women. Many of the issues raised are controversial and even somewhat humorous, but they are clearly explained only from an economic perspective as opposed to other dynamics of human behavior. There are also clear explanations of the misconceptions about unemployment rates, measures of inflation, and interest rates. The book is not a textbook but shows how one economist solves puzzling questions that occur in daily living. Recommended for general collections.

IMO the easiest economic book to digest is Mankiew Principles of Economics

Plus it comes in 3 styles the complete version and macro only and micro only.

Very readable, good examples and makes you apply the knowledge right away.

I wish I had them when I was in college. . . but I had the pleasure of reading them online (love BT)

I used these books in my classes and really liked them. I took micro first and then macro and I think it really helped. Understanding basics makes the big picture stuff much easier to understand IMO. Hope you enjoy them.

Im taking Macro this semester and Micro next semester. I'm enjoying the class and may make it my major over the "business and technology" degree Uconn has.

Second recommendation for this one. Both versions.

If you've got a decent commute and a CD or tape player, you can also order a course on economics here:

http://www.teach12.com/ttc/assets/coursedescriptions/550.asp?id=550&d=Economics%2C+3rd+Edition&pc=Business%20and%20Economics

I've done a bit of economics in my time, the hardest thing for me was the point where you've learnt the basic theory and then you're told "Forget it all, it's too general to apply to the real world."

Frustrating, but unfortunately necessary, from there is where we started to incorporate the variables.

If you had the patience, I'd recommend picking up a solid undergrad textbook and working through it at your own pace. i.e. "Economics: A Student's Guide" by Beardshaw, Brewster, Cormack & Ross.

That said bear the old joke "God invented economists to make astrology look like a precise science" in mind as a caveat.

While it won't teach you much about economics, "Freakonomics" is an excellent book. It's about applying economics to things like crack gangs, cheating in sumo wrestling and the effect of legalised abortion on crime rates.

Author's blog is at http://www.freakonomics.com/blog/

the mankiw one is what we use at brown, and it was written by THE harvard economics professor...its really easy to read and very good at covering macro and microeconomics...i still have mine and ill sell it to you for cheap if you want!

Microeconomics: Theory and Applications, Eleventh Edition by Edwin Mansfield, Gary Yohe

It depends on what level you're looking for. I thought this one was pretty good. It doesnt get into much macro (obviously) and it's pretty technical in some spots but if you read it enough you can understand it.

Actually I wish I still had this book as it would no doubt prove to be useful for me now.

Havent had time to see if he wrote books, but the name of Milton Friedman sure put stars in my econ profs eyes.

"How To Make A Small Fortune in the Stock Market: Start With a Large Fortune"

bump cause im too lazy to read right now

this thread is going to cause me to use up my barnes and nobles gift card all on econ books... Damn you T-Nation lol