Good Diet or Not?

Hi I am currently having trouble constructing a diet for myself as I am trying to gain 15-20 lbs this summer because i want to make some gains in the gym.

Last year i was 220 lbs and played offensive line, and then i tore my MCL… started doing cardio to rehab it and started eating clean (whole wheats, veggies, lean meats… etc)

then after i lost all the weight i started to take whey protein and continued to get back into my lifting program and now am trying to bulk back up

Im 5’8 140 lbs currently was 130 :frowning: and was wondering what a good diet would be to get me back in shape and put on some weight

currently i lift 5 days a week(each day a different body part) and do cardio 3x40 minutes (medium intensity)

Meal 1 7 a.m.: - 2 bowls of cereal (all bran) in about 10oz skim milk, 1 scoop whey (8oz water)

Workout 8a.m.

PWO Shake 9:30 a.m. : 1 scoop whey , 20 oz Gatorade

Meal 2 12:30 : 8 oz tuna on whole wheat( peanut butter on bread) with tons of veggies, apple

Meal 3 3:30 : 8 oz chicken , 1 cup sweet potato, 1 cup veggies

Meal 4 6:30 : 8 oz chicken , 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup veggies

Meal 5 9:30 (before bed) : 1 cup cottage cheese

Any suggestion on this diet… tell me the truth does it suck? and if there can be any help let me know! i would really appreciate it

Any suggestions also for pre/post workout drinks or meals would be appreciated…

im looking to gain about 15-20 lbs for the whole summer so i got 3 1/2 months to work with here! let me know if anything could be done! i appreciate the help!

based on what youve listed for foods for your day your eating too little to be wanting to gain mass…perhaps if your genes permit, youl gain strength but not much weight if any. research some diets id recommend the anabolic diet but thhats only because of my own success not to mention all the other forum readers…just my 2 cents :wink:

so what are some suggestions to add and incorporate in the diet if its not enough then? any other information and/or supplements would be considered let me know… i can use all the help i can get!

im just trying to gain this weight over a good 3-4 month if not longer period staying in a good lean state and eating healthy to gain this…

[quote]LayzieBone085 wrote:
so what are some suggestions to add and incorporate in the diet if its not enough then? any other information and/or supplements would be considered let me know… i can use all the help i can get!

im just trying to gain this weight over a good 3-4 month if not longer period staying in a good lean state and eating healthy to gain this… [/quote]

Hey man. Looks like a pretty solid plan.
Here’s a couple things i would change:

Add a meal:
I see you are eating every 3 hours.
I would try to change that to eating every 2 hours, so you can sneak another meal in there.

Postworkout:
I’m not a big fan of gatorade, in particular the carb source. I’d highly suggest you get some Surge here. Not that expensive at all and it’s exactly what you need after a workout. (why bother trying to make your own concoction when someone has already done it?)

Also for your plan.
Define summer.
If that’s three months and you know you want to gain x amount of weight, stay on one specific plan and monitor your progress in a journal every 2 weeks. Are you gaining weight? Are you getting stronger? How are the clothes fitting? What’s in the mirror…yadda, yadda.

Then make adjustments based on your data.

im just trying to gain this weight over a good 3-4 month if not longer period staying in a good lean state and eating healthy to gain this… [/quote]

Hey, just noticed something else.

Fat.
Doesn’t really seem like you’re getting much beyond the peanut butter on your toast.

The veggies you have: perhaps put a tablespoon of olive oil on them for each meal?

Nuts: Have a handful or two of either almonds or walnuts a day. Actually a handful of each daily would be a great.

If your last meal of the day is intentionally low-carb, you could consider that a good place to have your handful of nuts.

Well then If i could get some Surge where can i buy that so i can order some up and try it out right away for post workout?

as for summer im home till the end of august so i have plenty of time to work almost 4 months to get my weight up a little bit… and the clothes are fitting well and the weights are going up as i am getting stronger… i have put on 11 lbs in 3 months so far… so it is coming along

As for another meal… when do you think I should have it and what should it comprise of? of course some lean meat (tuna, chicken, turkey) maybe a turkey sandwich on whole wheat PB on the bread, with a banana? or go for turkey, veggies, and some brown rice let me know!

Also what are good sources of almonds or walnuts? just regular, salted etc etc??

And is it a good thing to incorporate having some fats before you go to bed along with cottage cheese? will that make me blow up a little bit or is that a good thing to do?

Any other suggestions for the diet or post workout drink? i need 26 g of protein and 50 g of carbs so i figured 20 oz of gatorade and about a scoop of whey.

Any other info you could provide about the diet about what im eating and if its a good diet… let me know

im all for adding fruits / What kind of fats and where … and when i should stop eating carbs etc etc… if you can help me with this info I would appreacite it

It looks like you should add more fats to your diet. Maybe add some olive oils and flax oil to your veggies. Some fish oil should be included also. You may also want to ditch the cereal and eat eggs w/cheese and veggies and bacon. I use lean turkey bacon. Nice omlette will do the trick. Mix your whey with milk.

If you want the carb meal for meal 1, then you could incorporate oatmeal w/blueberries and your whey drink. I use steel cut oats for my morning meal. Maybe substitute meal 5 with eggs? Or add Metabolic Drive?

Ditch the gatorade and use Surge. Cut down the cardio and possibly incorporate HIIT.

Count your calories and evaluate your gains. If you are not gaining weight, eat more food.

Hi I am currently having trouble constructing a diet for myself as I am trying to gain 15-20 lbs this summer because i want to make some gains in the gym.

Last year i was 220 lbs and played offensive line, and then i tore my MCL… started doing cardio to rehab it and started eating clean (whole wheats, veggies, lean meats… etc)

then after i lost all the weight i started to take whey protein and continued to get back into my lifting program and now am trying to bulk back up

Im 5’8 140 lbs currently was 130 :frowning: and was wondering what a good diet would be to get me back in shape and put on some weight

currently i lift 5 days a week(each day a different body part) and do cardio 3x40 minutes (medium intensity)

Meal 1 7 a.m.: - 2 bowls of cereal (all bran) in about 10oz skim milk, 1 scoop whey (8oz water)

Workout 8a.m.

PWO Shake 9:30 a.m. : 1 scoop whey , 20 oz Gatorade

Meal 2 12:30 : 8 oz tuna on whole wheat( peanut butter on bread) with tons of veggies, apple

Meal 3 3:30 : 8 oz chicken , 1 cup sweet potato, 1 cup veggies

Meal 4 6:30 : 8 oz chicken , 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup veggies

Meal 5 9:30 (before bed) : 1 cup cottage cheese

Any suggestion on this diet… tell me the truth does it suck? and if there can be any help let me know! i would really appreciate it

Any suggestions also for pre/post workout drinks or meals would be appreciated…

im looking to gain about 15-20 lbs for the whole summer so i got 3 1/2 months to work with here! let me know if anything could be done! i appreciate the help![/quote]

i think the carb meal is best for preworkout as it provides a good amount of carbs for energy to be provided for the gym… as long as a protein shake which is adequate for pre workout… and u said add eggs before bed?

shoulndt u have a slow digesting protein such as cottage cheese or castein before u go to bed??

do u think i should cut down to only 2 cardio days a week instead of 3 also??

yeah i can make some killer omlettes, so maybe i shuold have 1 bowl of cereal with some eggs in the morning and a whey shake?

any other meal i could replace the cereal with and have the eggs bacon and sausage in the morning? a good time to have those low gi carbs because i eat healthy all bran cereal… not like fruity pebbles or anything

i did pick up some olive oil and will incorporate it in on my veggies

any other suggestions about maybe fitting in another meal? or any other foods that u think i should incorporate?

i figure if i get about 30g of protein per each meal and i have 7 meals thats 210g of protein a day and i weigh 140… do u think that is too much for my body to process? just wondering

thanks for the hlep guys! anything else you could give would be apprecaited

Also where can I Buy products like Surge or Dextrose or MalDextrose to incorporate with my PWO Shake…

I have plenty of whey I just need to get the surge or Dextrose? any sites that are cheap or can i buy it in supermarkets? let me know I would appreciate it that also

Also what meals should i incorporate the fats and which meals should i cut back on carbs if any?

Are there certain times i should stop eating carbs etc etc and stop eating fats?

Let me know thanks again! Sorry for so many questions im just trying to figure out what works best and will give me the best gains without blowing up a gut!

ive been there and i dont want to go back if im going to put it on i want to put it on by eating a lot of clean foods

thanks for the helps and posts guys