Good, Cheap Brands of Oatmeal?

I want to get some oatmeal for breakfast, but i’ve never got any. What are some good brands that are cheap? (I don’t really know if there is anything you look for in oatmeal, or if any oatmeal will do. I’ve heard people say stay away from instant stuff. What does that leave?)

Quaker Oats Old Fashion

Some grocery stores have bulk sections. They have slow oats, and they are cheap.

jpb

Steel cut oats in bulk are my absolute favorite!

The store brand works fine and is cheap. Just get the plain, instant oats oatmeal in the big cannister.

Get the tub with Barbara Bush on the front, or go to a health food store and buy in bulk. The problem with the store brands is they are full of those little husks that feel like popcorn kernals and get stuck in your teeth. Saving 79 cents ain’t worth it.

[quote]rondastarr wrote:
Quaker Oats Old Fashion[/quote]

that’s what i do. easy & cheap.

Instant oatmeal is rubbish.

If you can get steel cut oats in bulk, that’s best for you. But otherwise, Oldfashioned Quaker Oats are fine. Barbara Bush ha! Uncle Gabby is funny.

[quote]Miss Parker wrote:

If you can get steel cut oats in bulk, that’s best for you. But otherwise, Oldfashioned Quaker Oats are fine. Barbara Bush ha! Uncle Gabby is funny.[/quote]

Maybe we’re talking two different things here, as they do make instant old fashioned oatmeal and it’s perfectly fine.

The instant that you (and others) may be thinking about is the sugar-laden stuff that comes in packets. But instant old-fashioned oatmeal is A-okay. You can buy the Quaker Oats brand or the store brand (much cheaper). It’s all the same. Ingredients: Rolled oats.

I buy plain rolled oats; a bottle of cinnimon, a bag of organic brown sugar. Put it all in a ziplock bag; shake, enjoy.

I also enjoy spending a SHTLOAD less on it all

=P

Is oatmeal a high priced commodity where you live?

Even the name brand quaker stuff is all of $4 for about a 2 week supply.

I buy the giant box of Quaker Old fashioned rolled oats from Costco (4 or 5 lbs I think), which is cheaper oats from the bulk section of my local health food stores.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Miss Parker wrote:

If you can get steel cut oats in bulk, that’s best for you. But otherwise, Oldfashioned Quaker Oats are fine. Barbara Bush ha! Uncle Gabby is funny.

Maybe we’re talking two different things here, as they do make instant old fashioned oatmeal and it’s perfectly fine.

The instant that you (and others) may be thinking about is the sugar-laden stuff that comes in packets. But instant old-fashioned oatmeal is A-okay. You can buy the Quaker Oats brand or the store brand (much cheaper). It’s all the same. Ingredients: Rolled oats.

[/quote]

Even though they both contain only rolled oats, the difference is that instant oats are pulverized to a much smaller size to cook faster. Hence, “instant” oats.

To the OP, go with regular old fashioned oatmeal whenever possible.

I get boxes of Quaker Oats from Costco (dirt cheap) and mix in coconut milk, toasted walnuts and dried blueberries (that shit is expensive, except for the coconut milk.) Just buy in bulk and make sure it has as few ingredients as possible.

Have you guys heard of Coach’s Oats?

I got it at Costco (in Taiwan) and it’slike steel cut but cooks as fast as rolled. It has a nuttier flavour and doesn’t taste at all like paste.

read all about it: http://www.coachsoats.com/

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Is oatmeal a high priced commodity where you live?
[/quote]
This is what i was thinking when I read it.

But since Im assuming that the OP sincerely didnt know.

I use steel cut outs when dieting and i am actually eating a bowl of oatmeal to fill me up.

When just running it for fuel and to add quality calories, I throw a scoop of protein or just some orange juice and a cup of old fashioned oats into a blender and drink that down. (Way easier than eating a “hot bowl of spackle”)

And to answer your question directly. Any brand will do and it should be affordable no matter where you buy it. just dont buy the sugar laden packets.

[quote]Nards wrote:
Have you guys heard of Coach’s Oats?

I got it at Costco (in Taiwan) and it’slike steel cut but cooks as fast as rolled. It has a nuttier flavour and doesn’t taste at all like paste.

read all about it: http://www.coachsoats.com/ [/quote]

Never heard of them, but now I want to try them. I’ll check the next time I go to my Costco. I realized the rolled oats I buy from there are actually two 4.5 lb bags!