Good Cereal??

Does anyone know if there is a decent whole grain cereal that isn’t loaded with crap???

Uncle Sam cereal is pretty good from a health standpoint. It advertises its low glycemic index on the box, and contains flax seeds. (no, I don’t work for them)

http://www.usmillsinc.com/usmills/productview_description.php?id=124

But I think milk contains lactose, a sugar, if the glycemic index is your main concern.

Even most ‘healthy’ cereals are full of sugar. Be careful. Some T-Nation writers have recommended Fiber One.

I asked JB this same question a while back and he recommended Smart Start or Vector. However, this was for use during the higher carb phase after training.

Dave:

Has Fiber One been recommended as a “good” one…or one to watch out for? (i.e. “hidden” sugar, etc.)

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Dave:

Has Fiber One been recommended as a “good” one…or one to watch out for? (i.e. “hidden” sugar, etc.)

Mufasa[/quote]

It was mentioned as a good one. I use it. Here’s the stats:

No sugar. It uses NutraSweet.
Fiber: 14 grams!
Calories: 60
Carbs: 24
Fat: 1 gram
Protein: 2

That’s alot of fiber for a small amount of calories.

How about oatmeal(eg. Quaker Oats)? 2 mins in a microwave, stir… 2 more minutes then ready… I put 2 extra scoops of protein powder…maybe some blueberries too.

Grape Nuts has no sugar as far as I know… good carb boost and fiber as well.

I second the oatmeal suggestion. However, buy it in bulk. You can get 2Kg of it for the price of an air filled box of cereal.

I also can’t be bothered to cook it or mix anything with it. Pour a cup or more of it into a bowl, pour on a milk product of your choice, let it sit while you try to find a pair of socks that match.

C’mon, anything that you can buy for a couple dollars and eat all month is a pretty damned good deal.

If you don’t have salt issues, pretzels are cheap also. They may be fairly high GI, but chow em down after a good workout and it won’t matter anyway. The salt and insulin together represent a good time to suck back a creatine cocktail as well.

[quote]vroom wrote:
I second the oatmeal suggestion. However, buy it in bulk. You can get 2Kg of it for the price of an air filled box of cereal.

I also can’t be bothered to cook it or mix anything with it. Pour a cup or more of it into a bowl, pour on a milk product of your choice, let it sit while you try to find a pair of socks that match.

C’mon, anything that you can buy for a couple dollars and eat all month is a pretty damned good deal.

If you don’t have salt issues, pretzels are cheap also. They may be fairly high GI, but chow em down after a good workout and it won’t matter anyway. The salt and insulin together represent a good time to suck back a creatine cocktail as well. [/quote]

Good point(kinda like the one on top of my head)… I started to wonder about it when I started reading, then I realized… I had not made a distinction between the regular ‘bulk’ sale oatmeal and the overpackaged, over-processed, sugar filled crap that is sold as ‘Oatmeal’ in the little packets. (as spoken in announcer’s tone)‘Just add a cup of boiling water for a delicious, nutritious breakfast(NOT)’…

Thanks for all the suggestions, yeah watch out for that instant oatmeal. Old Fashion!!

Mueslix is pretty tasty and JB says it’s aight, so give that one a try.

Kyle

try unfrosted unsweetened shredded wheat. The only ingredient is wheat and “bht to preserve freshness” it also has a good dose of fiber.

i’m not trying to prove anyone wrong or start a huge debate BUT i’ve used
old-fashioned and quick oats for extended periods of time because i listened to everyone about how quick oats are bad and i honestly never felt or saw a bit of difference between the two. just my 2 cents.

How about Raisin Bran? I love that stuff. :slight_smile: