Good Bye Squats. Hello Leg Press.

I’m still a beginner, but I found front squat to be a better replacement for back squat and T-Bar row a good replacement for deadlift.

I also found both movement (front squat and T-Bar rows) to be provide as much or even more development and to be much more safer, for me at least.

We see more an more guys deadlifting heavy weight with not as much back development as I would expect, considering the weight they are using. It make me think, it may be more a ‘power’ move than a bodybuilding one. I may be wrong, it’s just an idea or a feeling.

If I forget to foam roll before squatting I do light leg extensions with a maximal contraction of the lower quad muscles and it allows me to front squat deep smoothly without my knees making a clicking sound and feel lunges in my quads.
I also prefer rows variations over dead lift variations although I do like rack pulls with upper back contracted.

It has been my experience that I simply don’t progress unless I am squatting and/or DLing and if my squat/DL is going up, everything else is going to progress a lot faster.

srsly…squats are better…

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:

[quote]krsoneeeee wrote:
leg extension might be good for bodybuilding, esp for bringing up the VM… but functionally they’re pretty useless (if you participate in sport) - Mainly because they train a motor pattern that you’d never use and they put a shear force across the knee which isn’t very healthy…just my 2 cents.[/quote]

I think that’s pretty misleading. If you make your quadriceps stronger - you will be able to run faster. My best friend has an elite 100m and he can do leg extensions all day with 250lbs.

Those whole bodybuilding vs. functional arguments are bullshit.[/quote]

Agreed. It holds no water and personal trainers get clients by spreading this bullshit.

The belief that a stronger bigger muscle can somehow ONLY perform the way it was trained makes no logical sense.

It implies that squatting or leg extensions won’t help you push a truck down the street. Using this logic, you could only push a truck if you trained doing walking lunges.[/quote]

Don’t tell me what i was implying, because you’re an idiot - I said for a sporting person(ie footballer) training your quads with isolate training is stupid, not only because it has limited functional cross over(ie waste of your time), but it doesnt protect any of your joints in movements such as running and cutting. I didnt say they were useless, just that there are better ways to do it. open your minds and stop jumping on people who have a different, and probably more informed opinion than your own.

[quote]krsoneeeee wrote:

[quote]krsoneeeee wrote:
leg extension might be good for bodybuilding, esp for bringing up the VM… but functionally they’re pretty useless (if you participate in sport) - Mainly because they train a motor pattern that you’d never use and they put a shear force across the knee which isn’t very healthy…just my 2 cents.[/quote]

I think that’s pretty misleading. If you make your quadriceps stronger - you will be able to run faster. My best friend has an elite 100m and he can do leg extensions all day with 250lbs.

Agreed. It holds no water and personal trainers get clients by spreading this bullshit.

The belief that a stronger bigger muscle can somehow ONLY perform the way it was trained makes no logical sense.

It implies that squatting or leg extensions won’t help you push a truck down the street. Using this logic, you could only push a truck if you trained doing walking lunges.[/quote]

Don’t tell me what i was implying, because you’re an idiot - I said for a sporting person(ie footballer) training your quads with isolate training is stupid, not only because it has limited functional cross over(ie waste of your time), but it doesnt protect any of your joints in movements such as running and cutting. I didnt say they were useless, just that there are better ways to do it. open your minds and stop jumping on people who have a different, and probably more informed opinion than your own.

[/quote]

You don’t have a more informed opinion. You are in a bodybuilding forum giving advice out of context to football players who didn’t ask for it. If that makes sense to you, how am I the idiot?

Isolation work is not useless to an athlete. An athlete would obviously not devote all of their time to it, but the belief that a leg extension is somehow “unfunctional” is nonsense. Any exercise that can make a muscle stronger can not be useless in a strength sport.

None of that matters, however, since the op did not state he is a football player and didn’t ask for that advice.

I love squats and leg presses!!!

Ohh and I love deadlifts too!!!

[quote]krsoneeeee wrote:
Don’t tell me what i was implying, because you’re an idiot - I said for a sporting person(ie footballer)…[/quote]

You don’t have a more informed opinion. You are in a bodybuilding forum giving advice out of context to football players who didn’t ask for it. If that makes sense to you, how am I the idiot?

…None of that matters, however, since the op did not state he is a football player and didn’t ask for that advice.[/quote]

Hey X he said “footballer” which is euro for soccer. He’s not even talking about real football lol

but seriously… Who even says “for a sporting person?” lol

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]krsoneeeee wrote:
Don’t tell me what i was implying, because you’re an idiot - I said for a sporting person(ie footballer)…[/quote]

…None of that matters, however, since the op did not state he is a football player and didn’t ask for that advice.[/quote]

Hey X he said “footballer” which is euro for soccer. He’s not even talking about real football lol

but seriously… Who even says “for a sporting person?” lol[/quote]

Well shit, doesn’t that make leg extensions COMPLETELY FUNCTIONAL for a soccer player? What movement could mimic a kick better?

The term “functional” is bullshit to begin with.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]krsoneeeee wrote:

Well shit, doesn’t that make leg extensions COMPLETELY FUNCTIONAL for a soccer player? What movement could mimic a kick better?

The term “functional” is bullshit to begin with.[/quote]
You think Ronaldo is blasting those long range goals from squats alone??? Heeeeeeeeell no!

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]krsoneeeee wrote:

The term “functional” is bullshit to begin with.[/quote]

That’s what I was thinking lol. The few off the boat european guys in my gym love using the leg extension. With their capri pants and gelled mohawk/mullets.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
That’s what I was thinking lol. The few off the boat european guys in my gym love using the leg extension. With their capri pants and gelled mohawk/mullets. [/quote]

they’re called ‘man-pri’s’… I’m just sayin

goodbye squats? I would bet you’ll give them another shot eventually. Most people with significant development have some variation of the squat in their routine, you may not have found yours yet. machine, front, back, wide stance, close stance, high bar, low bar, try more options before you say fuck it

[quote]krsoneeeee wrote:

I replied, not sure if it didnt post or was deleted? - I have no idea how you came to the conclusion i was implying bigger muscles wont perform in different ranges of motion…All i was “implying” was that for athlete’s there a LOT better exercises (both from a strength, functionality and prehab angle) - and what i said holds plenty of water mate, read ANYTHING and you’ll find that out.

And if you dont think there is an argument for functionality, you’re just a plane out retard.

[quote]krsoneeeee wrote:
you’re just a plane out retard.
[/quote]

sorry my computer is really slow, didnt load the page - I was just making an example, football = rugby league

[quote]krsoneeeee wrote:
All i was “implying” was that for athlete’s there a LOT better exercises (both from a strength, functionality and prehab angle) - and what i said holds plenty of water mate, read ANYTHING and you’ll find that out.

And if you dont think there is an argument for functionality, you’re just a plane out retard.
[/quote]

this is a BodyBuilding forum… look at the top where it says BODYBUILDING. The only thing that is ‘functional’ in bodybuilding is building bigger muscles. So whatever exercise builds the biggest/most aesthetic physique IS the most ‘functional’ exercise for a BODYBUILDER.
(see the key word in the post… bodybuilder)

He asked if leg extension are healthy, i gave my opinion in an athletic context because thats what i know.

None of you have brought any valid points across against my point… you know youre in trouble when people start talking about the name of the forum :confused:

You boys really need to chill out…

[quote]krsoneeeee wrote:
He asked if leg extension are healthy, i gave my opinion in an athletic context because thats what i know.

None of you have brought any valid points across against my point… you know youre in trouble when people start talking about the name of the forum :confused:

You boys really need to chill out…

[/quote]

No one brought any valid point? No one mentioned the angle the legs should avoid? I was sure that I did. I am also sure you don’t know shit if all you can do is parrot what you read somewhere.

I think you underestimate the training and credentials of the people you are talking to.