Good Bodybuilding Gym in Atlanta?

Does anyone know of any good, bodybuilding friendly gyms in Atlanta? I’m moving there from Conyers and living in Decatur to go to Emory, but the Emory gym is kinda lacking.

So, any good locations?

Thanks!

[quote]Carbon-12 wrote:
Does anyone know of any good, bodybuilding friendly gyms in Atlanta? I’m moving there from Conyers and living in Decatur to go to Emory, but the Emory gym is kinda lacking.

So, any good locations?

Thanks![/quote]

Doesn’t Lee Haney have a gym in the city? Otherwise you could try to sneak into the Georgia Tech gym which is rocking.

I too am looking for a good gym in Atlanta, more on the strictly lifting side with Metal instead of emo rock or jazzercise music. I’ve been in Tech’s gym for students and its really lame trying to get benches or one of the two squat racks. Any help would be appreciated.

I’ve just started going to the Decatur/Dekalb YMCA. The free weight room is practically a dungeon, with about 4-5 benches and all kinds of old stuff. If you go during the right times there’s hardly anyone there. Only one squat rack, but most people don’t use it anyway.

shout out to fellow Atlantans! I used to go to the East lake YMCA but that place is always packed and doesnt have enough equipment. This summer since im out of college i decided to try Atlanta Medical Center’s Gym.

Its right at the intersection of Freedom parkway and boulevard. Its not the best well endowed gym, but the free weight room is a dungeon like room, usually i have the place to myself and it has a sound system you can change yourself or put in your own cds.

Granted the cables are upstairs which is annoying for supersets, but its got two squat racks, a couple benches and dumbells up to 100 i beleive.

If your a student like me they have very good rates, 30 a month or 25 a month if you sign up for a semester block.

the aforementioned Lee Haneys gym was in the East lake police station on ponce, but its been closed since(i tried to sign up there) and that building is going to be turned into more yuppie lofts.

Atlanta doesnt have much hardcore lifting. Its full of health spas, or gyms with smoothie bars or huge gay gyms (anything in Midtown. especially avoid the la fitness in ansley mall)

If you’re into Olympic lifting, strongman or powerlifting then I would recommend Coffee’s Gym in Marietta. For bodybuilding there is a place called Ropeman’s Fitness. It’s on Buford Highway in Doraville (North Atlanta).

This place used to be called Main Event Fitness in the early 90’s and was owned by Lex Lugar and Sting (TV wrestlers). Tyrone Felder, Lee Haney’s training partner, used to come to Main Event and train people.

Tyrone is called “Ropeman” because of his shredded look (at least that is what I was told). Ropeman has bought the place and I hear now it’s strictly bodybuilding.