Good Big 3 Lifts

[quote]kroby wrote:
johnnytang24 wrote:
But to set goals for the next 5 years, I think is pointless.

Thanks.

No one said anything about a five year goal. The OP mentioned an end of year goal (read: 9 months), and that is just three three month cycles. 30 pound increases per lift per cycle will nearly net 100 pound increases by year end.

If you can do that this year, the same could be achieved next year.

As for 5 year goals, lots of aspiring professionals make and reach them. Do you think Jay Cutler made just a one year goal? Just two years?

Adding 30 pounds of LBM a year for the next three years isn’t a goal worthy of pursuing? Short-sightedness will stop someone from maximizing their potential. That’s why long term goals are necessary.

I will say: paying attention to the day to day goals will take care of the long term ones. What’s a good day to day goal? Being stronger than yesterday.[/quote]

The original post says nothing about time frame. I don’t know anyone that considers 1 year to be a ‘long term goal’.

I wouldn’t presume to know how Jay Cutler trains, but I assume that if his goal is to be larger than before, he’s succeeded.

My point is that having a long term goal doesn’t help achieve it, because you don’t learn anything. So 2 years, 364 days later, you’re 50lbs of LBM off your 90lbs goal. What have you learned?

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
kroby wrote:
johnnytang24 wrote:
But to set goals for the next 5 years, I think is pointless.[/quote]

So, you either contradict yourself or you’re saying the opposite??? Who said anything of a five year goal, but you? What are you arguing about?

[quote]Thanks.

No one said anything about a five year goal. The OP mentioned an end of year goal (read: 9 months), and that is just three three month cycles. 30 pound increases per lift per cycle will nearly net 100 pound increases by year end.

If you can do that this year, the same could be achieved next year.

As for 5 year goals, lots of aspiring professionals make and reach them. Do you think Jay Cutler made just a one year goal? Just two years?

Adding 30 pounds of LBM a year for the next three years isn’t a goal worthy of pursuing? Short-sightedness will stop someone from maximizing their potential. That’s why long term goals are necessary.

I will say: paying attention to the day to day goals will take care of the long term ones. What’s a good day to day goal? Being stronger than yesterday.

The original post says nothing about time frame. I don’t know anyone that considers 1 year to be a ‘long term goal’. [/quote]

Exactly. What is your argument?

My point, my obtuse friend, is that he has most certainly made a long term goal, one that spans more than just two or three years. By this, I make my case that long term goals are NOT pointless.

I learned that in one day shy of three years, I gained 50 pounds of LBM, roughly 1.39 pounds per month. These are horrible gains, and I’d fire my nutritionist. But I’d have known that within the first year.

Furthermore, I’d have learned to watch the short term results that would yield the attainment of the long term goal. But as your scenario has played out… I’d have learned that I failed. I would have to come up with a new program and monitor it closely (much more than a three year glance).

[quote]kroby wrote:

I learned that in one day shy of three years, I gained 50 pounds of LBM, roughly 1.39 pounds per month. These are horrible gains, and I’d fire my nutritionist. But I’d have known that within the first year.

Furthermore, I’d have learned to watch the short term results that would yield the attainment of the long term goal. But as your scenario has played out… I’d have learned that I failed. I would have to come up with a new program and monitor it closely (much more than a three year glance).

[/quote]

That is my point: that if you look at a smaller time frame, it makes having a long term goal useless (maybe useless is a poor choice of word. Redundant?).

[quote]tveddy wrote:
Hard work doesn’t mean success. Hard work in the right direction leads to success. Focus on what it will take to achieve your goal and not the goal itself.[/quote]

Thanks for all the imput from everyone
I was looking for long term ideas of what is realistic lifts for my height and weigth
Looks like BW relative lifts are most popular methods of setting guidelines

My plan is to set out 1,2 and 3 month plans continuously until I reach a long term goal
The long term goal may change and the timeframe for it will change and I have not decided on anything specific yet

But I am going to have a good think, read and look at what traning plans to use over the next twelve months and see what suits me and how my body re-acts

Again, thanks for all the help

haha… I think Johnny was being more philosophical then anything ~

I went from benching 95lbs to 350 in 5 months… and would have hit 400 if I didn’t switch to working on dumbell work for the last 2 months. So saying that it would take 5 years to reach 400lb bench and the other lifts is a bit… extreme of an opinion.

Goals are good, it gives you something to strive for ~ When he reaches that goal he can have a nice party for himself ^^ Nothing wrong with that. What if’s aren’t meant for those truly determined to achieve something ~ and sounds like this guy wants to achieve something for himself.

Putting things into perspective I don’t think Johnny was trying to be trollish or rude, just trying to stir up a philosophical chat o.O

I hope… hehehe. Good luck !

[quote]kinein wrote:
haha… I think Johnny was being more philosophical then anything ~

I went from benching 95lbs to 350 in 5 months… and would have hit 400 if I didn’t switch to working on dumbell work for the last 2 months. So saying that it would take 5 years to reach 400lb bench and the other lifts is a bit… extreme of an opinion.

Goals are good, it gives you something to strive for ~ When he reaches that goal he can have a nice party for himself ^^ Nothing wrong with that. What if’s aren’t meant for those truly determined to achieve something ~ and sounds like this guy wants to achieve something for himself.

Putting things into perspective I don’t think Johnny was trying to be trollish or rude, just trying to stir up a philosophical chat o.O

I hope… hehehe. Good luck ![/quote]

Thanks. I’m not trying to be rude or trolling. I just want people to think about why they set the goals they do.