Good Bench Press for Average Women?

Hmmm according to that chart Im coming along as I haven’t been lifting in awhile I can do 95x5-6 reps, im about 165. But I don’t think its my strongest area, i have long arms, I think Im better as a dead lifter for sure, so its all relative, right?

Hmmm according to that chart Im coming along as I haven’t been lifting in awhile I can do 95x5-6 reps, im about 165. But I don’t think its my strongest area, i have long arms, I think Im better as a dead lifter for sure, so its all relative, right?

Impressive lifting stats:

Squat, DL: 1.5-2x BW
Bench: 1x BW

Unassisted wide-grip pull-ups: >10

Isn’t testosterone another factor in the strength difference between men and women?
Also, wouldn’t both sexes of top powerlifting/olympic lifting be on steroids at some point?
Obviously we can’t find out the top lifts of non steroid using lifters, but without the use of steroids would the difference between men and women be bigger? maybe even smaller…
On the other hand, i think ouro-boro said she is a powerlifter and her raw bench is 120lb?
and someone else said that they just hit 80lb.
Well being a male (just pointing out i am a male) i started benching 100lb and after a couple of months i can bench 175 lbs, my point is my starting numbers are 1.5 and 2 times bigger than the women that have posted, and i’m guessing they have been lifting longer than me.
But in my limited experiance i’d be impressed with a women benching over 100lb.

Excuse any mis spellings i suck at typing.

[quote]SuperAlienFreak wrote:
Isn’t testosterone another factor in the strength difference between men and women?
Also, wouldn’t both sexes of top powerlifting/olympic lifting be on steroids at some point?
Obviously we can’t find out the top lifts of non steroid using lifters, but without the use of steroids would the difference between men and women be bigger? maybe even smaller…
On the other hand, i think ouro-boro said she is a powerlifter and her raw bench is 120lb?
Well being a male (just pointing out i am a male) i started benching 100lb and after a couple of months i can bench 175 lbs, my point is my starting numbers are 1.5 and 2 times bigger than the women that have posted, and i’m guessing they have been lifting longer than me.

Excuse any mis spellings i suck at typing.

[/quote]

Don’t be douchey, ouroboro weighs 120 lbs. I sure hope you outweigh her.

Every woman who regularly posts a training log here competes in a drug tested federation.

I’m not saying 120 pounder pushing 140 pounds is not impressive. But to be called “elite”, you gotta do a lot more. A few of you stated that’s more thna 99% of the 120 pound ladies out there but being top 1% is no where near elite. I bet 99% of the population have never done a proper squat in their life. Elite in my mind is competitive on the world stage. That’s all I’m saying so I agree with ouroboro_s that it was a matter of what people consider “elite”

All I got out of this thread was a link to the lifters list for Ottawa, the rest is just dumb. What one person thinks is elite (and we have no idea what qualifications that person has to even be talking about power lifting) really doesn’t matter to me. Now what my federation quantifies as elite, that I care about.
But thanks for bringing up the subject, I got what I needed, a lifters list for an upcoming meet (:

[quote]Serratus wrote:
I’m not saying 120 pounder pushing 140 pounds is not impressive. But to be called “elite”, you gotta do a lot more. A few of you stated that’s more thna 99% of the 120 pound ladies out there but being top 1% is no where near elite. I bet 99% of the population have never done a proper squat in their life. Elite in my mind is competitive on the world stage. That’s all I’m saying so I agree with ouroboro_s that it was a matter of what people consider “elite”[/quote]

I don’t mean to be rude but it is elite. This is coming from the perspective of a number of women who compete in power lifting at a fairly high level.

ouroboro! your lifts are mighty impressive! and i agree it is elite as well, way to go lady ! i think this thread went form one direction to another. but i had to pipe in and give you some props .

[quote]Sindie wrote:
ouroboro! your lifts are mighty impressive! and i agree it is elite as well, way to go lady ! i think this thread went form one direction to another. but i had to pipe in and give you some props .[/quote]

I don’t think the one guy meant my bench was weak. I think he was merely underscoring the large discrepancy between what a man and woman can expect to bench. However, bench certainly isn’t my lift. I can squat and dead lift like a whore though :slight_smile:

[/quote]

I am by no means strong, but it’s disingenuous for you to compare my bench to yours unless you weigh 112 lbs as I do. If you are 180 lbs eg, then your starting numbers should be 1.5 times mine. Just saying.

Yeah i totally failed to get my point across, I wasn’t actually trying to be douchey or anything, I just epicly failed in making my point, reading back on the post i can’t even see the point i was trying to get make.

If you’d just ignore the post that would be good.

Yeah i totally failed to get my point across, I wasn’t actually trying to be douchey or anything, I just epicly failed in making my point, reading back on the post i can’t even see the point i was trying to get make.

If you’d just ignore the post that would be good.[/quote]

Don’t worry about it. I think your point was that you can’t go by body weight when comparing men and women. In particular this applies to bench press. This is illustrated by the fact that you could go from a 100 to 175 bench press in a short period of time while we may struggle to reach a bodyweight bench press. Therefore, the application of the label ‘elite’ should not be applied in comparing men and women.

I didn’t think you were being a dick. I got your point :slight_smile:

Heh, I am a bit of an anomaly, I guess. I know most people seem to deadlift a bit more than they squat. I actually bench more than I squat. My squat really is an abomination, due to 20-odd years of being hunched over a computer for long hours leaving me with hip flexors so tight you could play a tune on them, plus a long torso and femurs, short shins and inflexible ankles. Not a good recipe - I have trouble making parallel without folding like an accordian. Never mind.

Still, I’ve always enjoyed benching and despite being 42 with two gnarly rotator cuffs, I am still able to knock out 10-12 reps with 50kg (110lb I think?) and 5 reps with 60kg (132?). Due to the aforementioned cranky shoulders, I generally don’t go for 1 rep maxes too often but I’ve pushed 70kg (154lbs) recently. Which is a bit more than I weigh.

after months of working on building up triceps & grip - i can now bench 95# 8 reps for about 2 sets.

5’3" 109# - i am very proud to finally make 95# was stuck at 80# for months…

I’m almost 52 yrs old, 145 lbs and bench 145 lbs for 10 reps (perfect form) … and do 155 lbs for 3-5 reps. I’m not a power lifter. I’ve never tried for a 1 RM. I do bodybuilding so I train for hypertrophy. Age is just a number ladies … :wink: