Good Bench Press for Average Women?

[quote]Serratus wrote:
arachne12 wrote:

Where are you getting the combined lift for women? I’m looking at Wiki and the record total for women at 53 kg is is 495 lbs while for men at 55 kg it’s 671 lbs for a 35% difference. Still less than the discrepancy on exrx.net, but still.

Holy shit you’re right. I jumped a line as I looked down the list. The thing I quoted was Youth Mens instead of Women’s.

[/quote]

Also, if you want a true comparison and you’re looking at records for Olympic lifting and using exrx.net to determine elite for PL’ing, your logic sucks. IPF record (one of many powerlifting feds) for a 56kg female lifter total is 527.5kg. For a 56kg male it’s 700kg. That’s a 33% difference btw…

[quote]Court wrote:
Serratus wrote:
arachne12 wrote:

Where are you getting the combined lift for women? I’m looking at Wiki and the record total for women at 53 kg is is 495 lbs while for men at 55 kg it’s 671 lbs for a 35% difference. Still less than the discrepancy on exrx.net, but still.

Also, if you want a true comparison and you’re looking at records for Olympic lifting and using exrx.net to determine elite for PL’ing, your logic sucks. IPF record (one of many powerlifting feds) for a 56kg female lifter total is 527.5kg. For a 56kg male it’s 700kg. That’s a 33% difference btw…
[/quote]

Well, the original question was about an ‘average’ 120 woman in her 20’s, not an elite power lifter. It’s nice to know what the journey looks like as well as the top of the mountain.

[quote]arachne12 wrote:
Court wrote:
Serratus wrote:
arachne12 wrote:

Well, the original question was about an ‘average’ 120 woman in her 20’s, not an elite power lifter. It’s nice to know what the journey looks like as well as the top of the mountain.

[/quote]

That is true, however then he brought up:

Olympic Lift Combined Record: 671(m) 596(f) - only 13% more for men

That’s not an ‘average’ 56kg lifter, but a record total. The original question was an average, then it veered into comparisons between males and females of the same weight and how big of a discrepancy there was between OL and PL. However, OL elite numbers stated were record totals and PL elite was based on a website designed for ‘average’ people.

All I was saying is that if he wanted to compare differences in “elite” strength in males and females between OL and PL that he should be using a site other than exrx.

Agreed. I’m off to try to improve my squat!

[quote]Court wrote:
[/quote]

Good. You just strengthened my point. “even though there are physical difference between a man and a women, the lifting potential (at least applied to olympic lifts) shouldn’t be too insanely different” This all goes back to my original purpose of the post: “I’m seeing what people think of someone that claims to be elite and bench presses 145” for a 120lb. Based on what your are saying Court, she isn’t elite at all.

[quote]Serratus wrote:
Court wrote:

Good. You just strengthened my point. “even though there are physical difference between a man and a women, the lifting potential (at least applied to olympic lifts) shouldn’t be too insanely different” This all goes back to my original purpose of the post: “I’m seeing what people think of someone that claims to be elite and bench presses 145” for a 120lb. Based on what your are saying Court, she isn’t elite at all.
[/quote]

I think you are getting hung up on the word ‘elite’. I would call a 120 lb woman with a 145lb raw bench elite. If you prefer, you can call her impressively strong. Bench press isn’t an olympic lift. Of all the lifts, I would suggest that bench is the one where you are likely to get the most discrepancy between men and women due to the basic differences in our structure.

How about this then: From a woman who competes in powerlifting in the 123 lb class and has looked obsessively at the results of women across the country in that weight class, your friend is strong. Leave it at that.

I really have no idea what’s a good bench for women but I would be really impressed if I saw a women pushing herself and using to her a heavy weight with decent form. If the weight is impressing for a women I have no idea but if it’s not, the only thing standing between her and a great weight moved is time and consistency in the desire to move more weight.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Serratus wrote:
Court wrote:

I think you are getting hung up on the word ‘elite’. I would call a 120 lb woman with a 145lb raw bench elite. If you prefer, you can call her impressively strong. Bench press isn’t an olympic lift. Of all the lifts, I would suggest that bench is the one where you are likely to get the most discrepancy between men and women due to the basic differences in our structure.

How about this then: From a woman who competes in powerlifting in the 123 lb class and has looked obsessively at the results of women across the country in that weight class, your friend is strong. Leave it at that.
[/quote]
Off the top of my head I can only think of three 56kg women in Canada who could bench 145 raw. I’m sure I’m missing some and/or there are others out there who could do it but don’t compete in powerlifting. But still, I would bet that 99% of 56kg women lifting in gyms couldn’t do that (let alone what the general population could do). I’d say that is elite by just about any standard.

Also, of the three powerlifts, the bench press is the only lift where I have a higher strength to weight ratio than my wife and it isn’t close (on the bench press). It is definitely the lift with the biggest discrepancy.

[quote]OBoile wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
Serratus wrote:
Court wrote:

Off the top of my head I can only think of three 56kg women in Canada who could bench 145 raw. I’m sure I’m missing some and/or there are others out there who could do it but don’t compete in powerlifting. But still, I would bet that 99% of 56kg women lifting in gyms couldn’t do that (let alone what the general population could do). I’d say that is elite by just about any standard.

Also, of the three powerlifts, the bench press is the only lift where I have a higher strength to weight ratio than my wife and it isn’t close (on the bench press). It is definitely the lift with the biggest discrepancy.

[/quote]

Exactly my point. It’s almost like he is looking for a reason to question her. She’s strong. End of story. I’d be stoked if I could bench 145 raw.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

Exactly my point. It’s almost like he is looking for a reason to question her. She’s strong. End of story. I’d be stoked if I could bench 145 raw.[/quote]

I’m getting that too. Does an average 120 lb women have to hold the world record in order to be impressive?? I just got to 80 lb on the bench and I’m proud. On the same note, I have seen some of you powerful women talk about being annoyed by bad bench form in the gym. Any tips as to what that means? Thanks!

A 123 lbs. female lifter who can bench more than 142 lbs is an elite bencher. She can bench more than 99% of the population in her sex and weight class, according to the previously referenced chart. I am not sure where the debate is, isn’t the designation “elite” a definitional thing, like in gymnastics?

[quote]OBoile wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
Serratus wrote:
Court wrote:

[/quote]

I guess we’ll be seeing both of you in Ottawa right? You’re both lifting?

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
OBoile wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
Serratus wrote:
Court wrote:

[/quote]

Trish is lifting. I hurt my wrist and had to pull out. But, on the plus side, I’m going to lift in London which is where I’m from originally, so my parents can come out and watch.

Are you going to train with the niagara guys on Wed? Trish and I will be there.

[quote]OBoile wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
OBoile wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
Serratus wrote:
Court wrote:

Trish is lifting. I hurt my wrist and had to pull out. But, on the plus side, I’m going to lift in London which is where I’m from originally, so my parents can come out and watch.

Are you going to train with the niagara guys on Wed? Trish and I will be there.[/quote]

When did you pull out? I’m only checking because Anita M. is on the waiting list and we are supposed to room together so that could create a spot for her.

I’m not training in Niagara on Wednesday. My girls and I are berry picking :slight_smile: I’ll be heading down on Saturday.

I’m looking forward to lifting with Trish. Another one of the women in the 75 kg is a multiply lifter and recently squatted 501 in Montreal I think. I’m looking forward to watching her lift.

[quote]OBoile wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
OBoile wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
Serratus wrote:
Court wrote:

Are you going to train with the niagara guys on Wed? Trish and I will be there.[/quote]

Trish is a machine :slight_smile:

I’ll be there tomorrow… nothing better to do than lift the morning of my bday :slight_smile: Feel free to bring cupcakes or cake. haha.

I’ll be up on Ottawa running the computer and yelling/cheering for everyone. See you two tomorrow.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
OBoile wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
OBoile wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
Serratus wrote:
Court wrote:

When did you pull out? I’m only checking because Anita M. is on the waiting list and we are supposed to room together so that could create a spot for her.

I’m not training in Niagara on Wednesday. My girls and I are berry picking :slight_smile: I’ll be heading down on Saturday.

I’m looking forward to lifting with Trish. Another one of the women in the 75 kg is a multiply lifter and recently squatted 501 in Montreal I think. I’m looking forward to watching her lift.[/quote]

501! That’s big. Multi-ply but still. Should be a great field. I told Sarah (Frankel) that I thought despite the fact that the provincial champ wouldn’t be there, Ottawa would have a stronger field than last year’s provincials. Female powerlifting has really taken off in Ontario over the last year or two!

I officially pulled out Saturday afternoon, but the decision was made the instant Glyn mentioned that there was going to be a meet in London in August. Up until then, I was going to try to fight through it and lift as it was my only chance to qualify as an intermediate. The problem was that it was really limiting the amount I could train, and I’m just starting with the gear, so it wouldn’t have been pretty.

Edit: I think they have updated list as I’m no longer on it.

[quote]Court wrote:
OBoile wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
OBoile wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
Serratus wrote:
Court wrote:

Trish is a machine :slight_smile:

I’ll be there tomorrow… nothing better to do than lift the morning of my bday :slight_smile: Feel free to bring cupcakes or cake. haha.

I’ll be up on Ottawa running the computer and yelling/cheering for everyone. See you two tomorrow.[/quote]

Yeah she reads this so I won’t brag too much about her, but I didn’t feel the least bit ashamed or embarassed when I posted that she has a higher strength to weight ratio than I do on squats and deadlifts.

See you tomorrow!

Can someone link me that lifter list for Ottawa please, I’m also on hold…

[quote]dianab wrote:
Can someone link me that lifter list for Ottawa please, I’m also on hold…[/quote]

www.powerlifting.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3609

See the second post.

Link away: www.powerlifting.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3609

It was last updated yesterday.